collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Round  (Read 41001 times)

Online FatSam

Re: Steve Round
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:01 PM »
There's no way we'd get permission to expand the ground without some seriously improved transport links, for a start.

Yes, and to justify that there would need to be more going on in the area than just a football game every two weeks for 9 months a year. That's why I think work needs to be done in terms of regeneration of the whole area to make it more actively used, which needs buy-in from the wider community. The club owns some land around the ground, but probably not enough to have a transformational impact on the whole area. It needs the sort of local government participation that has led to Liverpool City Council's assistance of Everton's ground move etc.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2018, 10:48:07 PM »
Good luck to anyone who tries sorting it. The other problem is that we've got a three-sided plot and all three sides have restricted room for growth.
Even if you re-submitted Doug’s  plan to wrap around the Trinity to replace the North Stand that gives you 53,000 so I don’t  often disagree with you but on this Dave we have the bulk of the  space already. However a stadium done without changing the Witton Lane stand would look odd so that’s the only side we need to work on in respect of land purchase and requires the acquisition of no more than 100 houses ,without checking the land registry site we might even own some already !
Like I say ,bring it on, there’s hardly a shortage of land around us for car parking and 21 st century transportation improvements .

53,000 is the figure I believe we've already got in principle, but expanding Witton Lane would involve getting rid of parkland (never easy now) and moving into residential areas, which is an absolute minefield. The days of buying up houses on the cheap have gone and you're looking at that whole area  around Holte Road suffering substantial upheaval, and that's no going to happen without years of planning battles. There's also a massive shortage of car parking and room for transport -  that's what the problems would be about. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:57:21 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
If Dr Tony has a plan then I would back him to make it happen.
With the Commonwealth Games on the agenda as well.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2018, 10:51:16 PM »
So I’d guess that the plan must be a little more adventurous than ‘build a bigger football stadium’ if they are confident of getting planning?

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:55 PM »
Perhaps it’s moving to a bigger and better Alexander Stadium, but I hope not.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2018, 11:40:55 PM »
Good luck to anyone who tries sorting it. The other problem is that we've got a three-sided plot and all three sides have restricted room for growth.
Even if you re-submitted Doug’s  plan to wrap around the Trinity to replace the North Stand that gives you 53,000 so I don’t  often disagree with you but on this Dave we have the bulk of the  space already. However a stadium done without changing the Witton Lane stand would look odd so that’s the only side we need to work on in respect of land purchase and requires the acquisition of no more than 100 houses ,without checking the land registry site we might even own some already !
Like I say ,bring it on, there’s hardly a shortage of land around us for car parking and 21 st century transportation improvements .

53,000 is the figure I believe we've already got in principle, but expanding Witton Lane would involve getting rid of parkland (never easy now) and moving into residential areas, which is an absolute minefield. The days of buying up houses on the cheap have gone and you're looking at that whole area  around Holte Road suffering substantial upheaval, and that's no going to happen without years of planning battles. There's also a massive shortage of car parking and room for transport -  that's what the problems would be about. 

It’s not as complicated as you think with the right leadership in place ,which I  believe we have. As  Fatsam states it will require wider regeneration  of the area to get the wider community onside and that is the route I believe we are undertaking. The strip of parkland you refer to can be replaced , Aston Park it isn’t. Section 106 planning agreements also allow for the building of  Hospitals, schools , roads, anything virtually to support the applicants ( Commonwealth games taking place in 2022 did I hear you say ? )
I’m certainly not proposing a confrontational approach with our neighbours quite the opposite and believe a win win can certainly be achieved . However my understanding is that with the consent of our local authorities and regional government that compulsory purchase orders could be made. Our local authorities want this for our City and region,we want it for our club . I remember Andy Howell, son of the  late Lord Dennis Howell MP, when deputy leader of Birmingham City Council stating that the council regularly asked Doug for a blueprint for a stadium and that they were always frustrated by his regular one stand plans .
We also have quite an ace with our neighbours in that we have been here since 1897 - No one can have moved to the close proximity of us without knowing about attendances and congestion.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:50:08 PM by brentastonb6 »

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:54 PM »
Please don't go down the "We were here first" route. It's a fatuous argument and one that always reflects badly on us. You'd be looking at potentially hundreds of houses being affected and that's an incredibly difficult set of logistics to balance  not least because they could look at our past attendances and say that a large increase in capacity isn't justified. We're not Spurs or Arsenal with huge waiting lists for tickets and we're not the Manchester Commonwealth Games bid. In any case, let's not walk before we can run; there's no evidence to say that we would ever need a stadium holding much over 50,000 at the most. 

Offline brentastonb6

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2018, 12:18:53 AM »
Please don't go down the "We were here first" route. It's a fatuous argument and one that always reflects badly on us. You'd be looking at potentially hundreds of houses being affected and that's an incredibly difficult set of logistics to balance  not least because they could look at our past attendances and say that a large increase in capacity isn't justified. We're not Spurs or Arsenal with huge waiting lists for tickets and we're not the Manchester Commonwealth Games bid. In any case, let's not walk before we can run; there's no evidence to say that we would ever need a stadium holding much over 50,000 at the most. 
Dave like I say I don’t often disagree with you but on this issue  I do as it’s all about potential. If it were 1985 now when we were averaging 15,000 gates ,people would have laughed at you if you said “we’ll win no major trophy from here on in , we’ll  have some of the worst home form of all the top divions for five years, and yet in 2017 we’ll have an average gate of circa 35,000 “ you’d have been certified! We have the potential.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2018, 12:23:57 AM »
I doubt there's a club on earth who won't say they have potential. Equally, and I could be wrong but I don't think there's a club that have substantially expanded or moved their ground without it being full on a regular basis for years beforehand.

Offline brentastonb6

« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »
I doubt there's a club on earth who won't say they have potential. Equally, and I could be wrong but I don't think there's a club that have substantially expanded or moved their ground without it being full on a regular basis for years beforehand.
Southampton’s  Dell, Leicester’s Filbert Street and Derby’s Baseball ground weren’t lock outs week in week out before they all moved to larger premises . Let’s wait and see what  happens - at least it isn’t dull and at least we are trying to move forward. Like I’ve previously stated I hope and believe that the club are and will be working with the community to achieve a win win situation. .

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:39 AM »
Southampton’s  Dell, Leicester’s Filbert Street and Derby’s Baseball ground weren’t lock outs week in week out before they all moved to larger premises . Let’s wait and see what  happens - at least it isn’t dull and at least we are trying to move forward. Like I’ve previously stated I hope and believe that the club are and will be working with the community to achieve a win win situation. .

They were all totally unsuitable for the modern era, which Villa Park clearly isn't. To be honest, I've seen too many plans and dreams and hopes to get worked up about something that's still very much in the nice idea but... stage.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2018, 01:03:29 AM »
There is scope to build and redevelop even within the current constraints.

The North Stand is an eyesore and the Doug Ellis was never a great stand to begin with. Both would benefit from better facilities and improved commercial/executive options, even if the overall capacity didn't shoot up right away.

And as MK Dons have shown recently (and Tottingham did mid 90s) new stands can be built in such a way that they allow for future expansion, if we were concerned about not selling out the 50k plus in the short>medium term.  Which would be a totally legitimate concern, in all honesty.

Xia and the rest of the brains trust would then need to be convinced about the merits of a large outlay for not much more in terms of capacity in that interim period.

But if they were in it for the long haul, one argument in favour would be that building costs are unlikely to go down over the next 10/15 years. Take the hit now (or in 18-24 months) get the bulk of the work out of the way, and then there is less to do in future.  Rather than doing it all and causing bigger disruption if/when we are at the stage of regularly selling out and actually doing well on the pitch.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:05:40 AM by KevinGage »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »
I'd love to be in a crowd of 50/60,000+ at Villa Park. One day...

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
I'd love to be in a crowd of 50/60,000+ at Villa Park. One day...

I'm privileged to say that I have been on several occasions.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »

All good points but it can be done. Look how Arsenal shoe horned a 60,000 seater into Ashburton Grove.We have a main line railway running a few hundred yards from VP. And people will always find parking. Just have to walk a bit further.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:34:19 AM by The Edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal