collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Round  (Read 41004 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Steve Round
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
I hope they don’t think we’ve made it already? Got to stay honest and take each game as it comes.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2018, 10:09:38 PM »
I have always wondered, imagine if we had established ourselves as a top 4 club under Lerner would be honestly attract enough regular support to fill 60k stadium every week? Even with man city's success they cannot regularly draw crowds like the red side of town.
I think for balance, if nothing else, the midlands needs a top premiership club. But would we genuinely have support to fill it ?

It’s a massive yes from me! How many Liverpool,Man Utd, Chelsea,Arsenal etc supporters are there in our City let alone the Midlands ? Just a little success like a trophy every five years should do it. There are ten million people within one hours drive of Villa Park I believe. I would rather think just how big would our ground need to be if we had won the number of trophies the aforementioned teams have won in the last fifty years ? We’re starting from a great base of currently able to average 35,000,we all know from MON’s tenure that we can average 40,000 so without additional tourists / season ticket strategies or increased away allocations we are at two thirds full.  Our City  and region needs a world class stadium and not just one than can host football.
Having visited the Ajax Amstel arena to see U2 play five consecutive nights in a 55,000 capacity stadium  you can see the benefits those numbers would bring to all the hotels ,restaurants,airport and service industries in  our region.
It’s not like we haven’t got the footprint in place, we own the land we need to make it happen  ( current plan ) and at worst would have to purchase houses down the Witton Lane side of the ground to make a three tier horseshoe design based around the rake of the Trinity with a massive stand alone Holte.
And hey if the worst came to the worst we’d fill it at least five times a season and it wouldn’t look shocking with the top tier of two stands empty if required.
Didn’t we once have a Chairman who wanted to build a 110,000 stadium before the outbreak of World War One ?
Bring it on !

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »
Having visited the Ajax Amstel arena to see U2 play five consecutive nights in a 55,000 capacity stadium
WTF?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2018, 10:17:13 PM »
Having visited the Ajax Amstel arena to see U2 play five consecutive nights in a 55,000 capacity stadium
WTF?

Christ on a bike. Were you sponsored mate?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2018, 10:18:45 PM »
Brent, what crime did you commit to be sentenced to such a cruel and inhumane punishment?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »
There's no way we'd get permission to expand the ground without some seriously improved transport links, for a start.

Offline brentastonb6

« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2018, 10:21:15 PM »
WTF?

Christ on a bike. Were you sponsored mate?

Sorry I only went the one night lol ,U2 played the five and they we’re Fu#@ing brilliant !

Offline brentastonb6

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2018, 10:23:59 PM »
There's no way we'd get permission to expand the ground without some seriously improved transport links, for a start.
Agree Dave and think that’s already way down the pre planning consultation phase with the City council.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
Good luck to anyone who tries sorting it. The other problem is that we've got a three-sided plot and all three sides have restricted room for growth.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:01 PM »
Isn’t the transport issue really easily solved by laying on trains from Aston and Witton every few minutes.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »
I have always wondered, imagine if we had established ourselves as a top 4 club under Lerner would be honestly attract enough regular support to fill 60k stadium every week? Even with man city's success they cannot regularly draw crowds like the red side of town.
I think for balance, if nothing else, the midlands needs a top premiership club. But would we genuinely have support to fill one?

I think the significant point is, ‘under Lerner’. I liked Randy but I feel that he didn’t build beyond the expected support for the club.  He was very good at consolidating the local and the historical support for the club and supporting the immediate improvements to commercial outlets for AVFC.
There’s a real difference in expectation and expansion, and thereby the progression of the team and the Club and thereby, the crowds that might turn up. I think Dr Tony has seen possibilities for expansion based on the team being better.

Whilst Randy Lerner could have counted on a traditional following, I think that Dr Tony is actually building on that. 

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »
Isn’t the transport issue really easily solved by laying on trains from Aston and Witton every few minutes.

One of the Villa's biggest annoyances is that the train companies don't want to know. Concerts, rugby World Cup - fine. League games, no chance.

Offline brentastonb6

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
Good luck to anyone who tries sorting it. The other problem is that we've got a three-sided plot and all three sides have restricted room for growth.
Even if you re-submitted Doug’s  plan to wrap around the Trinity to replace the North Stand that gives you 53,000 so I don’t  often disagree with you but on this Dave we have the bulk of the  space already. However a stadium done without changing the Witton Lane stand would look odd so that’s the only side we need to work on in respect of land purchase and requires the acquisition of no more than 100 houses ,without checking the land registry site we might even own some already !
Like I say ,bring it on, there’s hardly a shortage of land around us for car parking and 21 st century transportation improvements .

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2018, 10:41:10 PM »
Well I guess it was ok as a kitchen garden.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:35 PM »

One of the Villa's biggest annoyances is that the train companies don't want to know. Concerts, rugby World Cup - fine. League games, no chance.

I’d guess that the city centre commercial landlords could apply some pressure to get an extra 20k people into the city centre quickly to spend money there after games?

Unless of course we are playing the Blues when we are all too scared.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal