collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds United  (Read 5280 times)

Offline The Fish

Leeds United
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
Hi Lads,

Just curious about your opinions about Leeds United and it's fans before Newcastle face them on Sunday. Safe to say Newcastle fans have their opinions, but I was wondering what the view of Aston Villa fans are.

You're in a similar situation to us in that you; are a massive club, are recently relegated, haven't really had much to do with Leeds since their relegation, etc.

When the Championship calendar was released, did Leeds fixtures excite/worry/interest you? Any more so than, say, Derby or Forest?
If you could sum up Leeds United Football Club in 3 words, what would they be?
If you could sum up Leeds United fans in 3 words, what would they be?
What's your abiding memory of Leeds United FC?
What's your abiding memory of any Leeds fans you've encountered?

I'm going to ask a few other fanbases about Leeds to get a decent picture of their image in the league. But if you'd like me to add any questions, let me know.

Thanks for any answers

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Leeds United
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »
When the Championship calendar was released, did Leeds fixtures excite/worry/interest you? Any more so than, say, Derby or Forest?

Yes, it was one I looked-out for as they are one of the biggest clubs down there and we haven't played them for a long time

Johnny Giles Faded

Boisterous but suffering

Savo out-Yeboah-ing Tony, Wembley, March 1996

He was a bit of an eejit and wore a bloody Leeds navy and yellow woolly hat all winter during school one year. Think he had nits too.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
Why is a Newcastle fan interested in Villa fans opinion of Leeds?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:56:44 AM »
Yes - bit of all three

'Flew too close' or 'fall from grace'

Passionate, loyal, aggressive

Agree with Eamonn - Wembly 1996
also visiting Elland road when I was about 13 (30 odd years ago) - never seen so many scarves
Upsetting the odds in 91-92 - great to see the Liverpool Arsenal stranglehold broken by a proper club
But mainly always think of the implosion.  When a club is struggling we all worry about 'doing a Leeds'

Can't say the word 'the'

To be honest I quite like Leeds and feel hugely for the fans following the relegations.  They seem to me to be a 'proper club' a bit like the Villa.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »

Perhaps the only thing to look forward to this season was some different away days. There's nobody in this league who I think we'd be worried about in terms of writing the game off, as you would say looking at when you've got Man United or Man City away in past seasons. I cannot say Leeds stuck out anymore than Derby or Forest; for me it was Small Heath and then it was places like Bristol City, Brighton, Preston where i'd not had the chance to go before.

Smashed up Bournemouth.

The most one sided cup final I've ever seen in 1996 when you were lucky to get nil... until Arsenal hammered us the other year.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Leeds have a reputation from the 80s, but I've not found them any different to the vast majority of match going fans. We all seem to carry the same hopes, fears and collective loathing of the modern game putting us on TV 5 games on the spin on Friday nights at Brighton, Tuesday Nights at Norwich or Sunday mornings at QPR.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »
Big club, big support but not the classiest.   

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
I prefer Leeds fans to Newcastle fans. Recently they have been abhorent

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »

Not for me as I have no affiliation with northern part of England.  Leeds for 15-20 years once relegated whenever it was have been less successful than Derby in recent times when comes to premier league football and forest and derby have won the european cup

proud Yorkshire club (though proud and Yorkshire go hand in hand right)

against villa that Harry kewell goal . Benitoe carbone goal. And Leeds United outright - Alan Smith some teenage player!  Mark Viduka v Liverpool and the bowyer and Woodgate attacking student. The club Kaiser chiefs support.

football wise-  bias a bit short sighted and some real issue with southern folk . Though they have an admirable hatred for Manchester United. And respect for villa until our recent fall from grace. Other than that - I a fan of Leeds utd fans girls as met some on a vacation and they were very friendly great banter though I could nt understand some of there terms 

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 01:41:37 PM »
1/ Leeds should be a terrible warning to us...

2/ A mate of mine was from oop North and watched all the teams when they came to Midlands. He paid for drink so I would travel with him when Leeds played at Highfield Road. They were hideously racist and somewhat up for a fight (on a side note I also attended the Sty with him to support Newcastle. Afterwards I saw a jardie hit a police horse in the head with a hammer. I stopped going with Jim...

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
Why is a Newcastle fan interested in Villa fans opinion of Leeds?

Are we saying he's a fish out of his waters. Ha.

Offline Richie

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 01:52:59 PM »

More exciting than Rotherham and Brentford fixtures ! Derby and Forest games obviously have more interest being Midlands based.

A fallen giant

Very loyal supporters

Wembley 96 hammering and a couple of pretty scary trips there in the late 80's/early 90's where I was glad to get out in one piece

See above !

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »

...and forest and derby have won the european cup

When was this then?

Offline Herman

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
---They're on a level with Derby and Forest. There'll be decent crowds for both the home and way games and we haven't played them for a while so there's a bit of a novelty factor. 

--Living in't Past

--A bunch of

--Seth Johnson's contract

-- Them throwing coins at Wolves fans in the South Bank. Difficult to think of a more unpleasant set of supporters than Leeds

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »
It's really odd reading the responses and noticing how differently people view Leeds to the way I do. Must be an age thing because growing up listening to claims of them being as big, influential and successful as Victorian us, 30s Arsenal, 50s Mancs and 70s/80s Scouse was my first real encounter with utter delusion in football. If television was in every home and showing football in the 1920s, Huddersfield Town would be Leeds today. I don't reckon Leeds would have anything like the profile they do if their period of success had been-pre Match of the Day. Anyway, here goes:

None of the fixtures against clubs we've played a lot of times in my lifetime really interested me. If I were to rank the three in order of most looking forward to though, I'd say Forest, Leeds, Derby. But Rotherham, Brentford, Preston, Brighton, etc are much more appetising.

Made by television.
City's bastard offspring (one for the Herbert Chapman fans there).
Beneficiaries of hyperbole.
Victims of Sky

Just like us.

The championship winning side of 1992. Perfect balance and what we could have been, but just feel short of, two years earlier.

Home grown ones are just like us, but with a West Yorkshire attitude - not quite as arrogant as a Manc but less good company than people from Sheffield. The Revie diaspora on the other hand...

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »

Yes

Don Revie's Leeds

Allan "Sniffer" Clarke

Marching on Together

70s glory hunters

Players wearing garters on their socks with numbers on them

English version of Cardiff City fans - all coming from small pit villages in surrounding areas

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal