collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If you are travelling down to Brighton  (Read 13490 times)

Offline Brian Taylor

Re: If you are travelling down to Brighton
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
Battle of Trafalgar pub  250m from Station. Right out door and across street. Up on the right.   Guildford St. http://Http://restaurantsbrighton.co.uk/battle-trafalgar-brighton-food-pub/

Real Ale and good food.

The Neptune in Hove near seafront/on mainroad to Worthing, for great Blues style music and great beer. Live music on weekends.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:21 PM »
Any trainspotters on here who can help. I want to get to Brighton from London Bridge but none seem to return there after the game, they all go to St Pancras or Victoria. Is this a different train operator? can I get a ticket for any journey to and from Brighton or do I have to book with a specific train operator?

The old Thameslink should go via London Bridge and East Croydon.

Yep, but nothing coming back to London Bridge. Can I get a ticket that is valid from all central London stations to Brighton on any train?

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »
Any trainspotters on here who can help. I want to get to Brighton from London Bridge but none seem to return there after the game, they all go to St Pancras or Victoria. Is this a different train operator? can I get a ticket for any journey to and from Brighton or do I have to book with a specific train operator?

Yep, but nothing coming back to London Bridge. Can I get a ticket that is valid from all central London stations to Brighton on any train?

Not sure. I think they're priced differently. If I were going that route I'd take the Bedford train back and change at Blackfriars.

Best pub in Brighton is The Albert. Out front of station and left under the tunnel/bridge. 3 minutes walk. Real Ale.

Offline exigo

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »

Rail tickets will say 'London Terminals' – and will be valid until the first London terminal you hit. So, for example, you wouldn't be able to go into Victoria and use the same ticket to travel to London Bridge; but, you would be able to change along the way. I'm travelling back to London Bridge and when I looked into it, it meant changing twice and taking an age. So I'm just getting the overground to Victoria and the underground to London Bridge as it's quicker.

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 12:23:20 PM »

Rail tickets will say 'London Terminals' – and will be valid until the first London terminal you hit. So, for example, you wouldn't be able to go into Victoria and use the same ticket to travel to London Bridge; but, you would be able to change along the way. I'm travelling back to London Bridge and when I looked into it, it meant changing twice and taking an age. So I'm just getting the overground to Victoria and the underground to London Bridge as it's quicker.

That's what I thought, cheers. What a minefield for what should be a 50 minute journey

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »
Pubs close to Brighton Station that are very likely to show the match are The Duke Of Wellington (70 Upper Gloucester Rd) and the Lord Nelson Inn (36 Trafalgar St). They're both 'Albion' boozers though, so I don't know whether they'll be open to the ticket-less Villa hordes. However, with a few exceptions, I reckon most places will probably be ok with decent folk who just want to have a few beers and watch the footy.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »

Not sure. I think they're priced differently. If I were going that route I'd take the Bedford train back and change at Blackfriars.

Best pub in Brighton is The Albert. Out front of station and left under the tunnel/bridge. 3 minutes walk. Real Ale.

Good call with The Albert. Real ale sawts will certainly like The Evening Star close to the station as well (if it's not too packed). :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:40:22 PM by auntiesledd »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
What's Brighton like now for nightlife? Back in the day, I used to go down there quite often when my best mate (Villa fan) was managing the Escape.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »
What's Brighton like now for nightlife? Back in the day, I used to go down there quite often when my best mate (Villa fan) was managing the Escape.

It's still very lively down here, although my own raving/clubbing days are but a distant memory now. There's certainly loads on of a weekend for those wanting to, ahem, party.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
Chico Hamilton
Can't you just get the appropriate tube from Victoria to somewhere like bank or monument and walk across

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »
Chico Hamilton
Can't you just get the appropriate tube from Victoria to somewhere like bank or monument and walk across

Yep, the night tube is up and running now. Considerably more convenient for a direct train to London Bridge though than a 20 minute cross London dash/stagger

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »
Sorry mate didn't realise you was not stopping down should be easy enough though to get back to London bridge

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
We are driving down Friday morning as well - stopping in Kempstown Friday night, i believe it ain't too far from the station.

Whereabout in Kemptown are you staying? It makes quite a difference to how long the walk to the station will be!

ps You could also get the No.25 bus - which stops at the Old Steine (outside the front of The Royal Pavilion) and it will drop you off outside the Stadium close to the away section.
I'm stopping at a place called New Cosmopolitan New Steine Kemptown and my mate stopping in another Strawberry Fields just down the road.

It's about a 15 minute walk up to the station from your hotel(s) then. If you go to the top of the New Steine, turn left at the top & go down St James's St & you'll come to the OLD Steine. Cross over to the opposite side of the 'Steine & head up North Street (RBS is on the corner). When you get to the top, turn right at Boots onto Queens Road - & the station is up at the top end & will be right in front of you. Then join the rest of the throng on the R/H side of the station going to the match.

ps On balance, I reckon it'll be quicker for you & your mate to get the bus up to the stadium (25 to 'Universities'), but it's a bloody tedious schlep at the best of times - and even more so for a Friday night game. Still, it is what it is. 'Hope you both have a smashin' time down here & we get to witness the unbeaten run continuing. UTV.
For those travelling without tickets where would be a good place to watch the match on sky?

The biggest place (by far) that shows matches is Ye Olde King and Queen - which is a cavernous mock-Tudor joint near the Pavilion; and situated on the main arterial that goes in & out of Brighton.

https://www.view.co.uk/brighton/v/king-and-queen-1
Thanks again sir/madam not sure with your nickname lol.
Your doing a cracking job with your advice for fellow Villa fans. UTV

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »
If you're planning to get the last train to Victoria out of Brighton which I believe is 1045 what's the chances of getting back into Brighton from falmer to catch it if the game finishes at 930-940? Any thoughts?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 09:20:07 PM »
If you're planning to get the last train to Victoria out of Brighton which I believe is 1045 what's the chances of getting back into Brighton from falmer to catch it if the game finishes at 930-940? Any thoughts?

Last train to Victoria is at 23:10. There are later trains to St Pancras

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal