collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ?% Villa (is that a thing, that % business?) Homophobia in Football  (Read 19409 times)

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
Re: ?% Villa (is that a thing, that % business?) Homophobia in Football
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »
Couldnt give a fig if a footballer is gay straight, bisexual, assexual or metrosexual ... biggest challenge these days is footballers recognising when its consensual !!!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 09:45:54 PM »
I think, now days, if a Villa player "came out" it would be no problem at all with majority  say about 90% of us at Villa Park. In fact it would be  an honour that he has chosen to do that. However there is 10% element that have vile views on everything from race/colour/sexism/orientation etc and would no not accept it.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »
I'd probably be thinking twice again in today's political climate, if it was me in that position.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 10:27:18 PM »
Could be wrong .but guessing 2001-2 ish.Pray tell,what happened ? (Genuine question)

It was about a decade after that.

And yes, ?% Villa is very much a thing, gorra problem with it?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 10:31:25 PM »
This is interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/08/english-football-tolerates-homophobia-john-amaechi-tells-mps

Surely if a Villa player was to be the first high profile pro to come out (while still playing) then we'd overwhelmingly think of that as a cause for celebration . Obviously it's difficult for the individual concerned to become a standard bearer but I think that a positive response to the first one to do it would quickly mean that more would do it?

Isn't being gay something natural, rather than an achievement to celebrate? A footballer's sexuality hasn't really got anything to do with the people who have come to watch them play football, it's none of our business. I'm not even sure why they might feel the need to tell us. So what, big deal - just train hard and win games.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »
This is interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/08/english-football-tolerates-homophobia-john-amaechi-tells-mps

Surely if a Villa player was to be the first high profile pro to come out (while still playing) then we'd overwhelmingly think of that as a cause for celebration . Obviously it's difficult for the individual concerned to become a standard bearer but I think that a positive response to the first one to do it would quickly mean that more would do it?

Isn't being gay something natural, rather than an achievement to celebrate? A footballer's sexuality hasn't really got anything to do with the people who have come to watch them play football, it's none of our business. I'm not even sure why they might feel the need to tell us. So what, big deal - just train hard and win games.

Depends on why the reason they don't tell people they're gay, and (in my opinion) it's probably because they're terrified of the reactions. I mean why would you come out and then put up with the sneering,  ridicule and humiliation from the homophobes? It takes a very brave person to come out, and that's what I think the poster meant when he/see said it should be a cause for celebration.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »
I have faith that Villa fans would be completely supportive of any player who came out. In fact I am certain of it. We have flaws but we are a progressive bunch.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 12:41:26 AM »
I have faith that Villa fans would be completely supportive of any player who came out. In fact I am certain of it. We have flaws but we are a progressive bunch.

I have no doubt that the massive majority would as well, but even 5% of a crowd can make enough noise to make a difference. We haven't totally managed to stamp out racism yet despite players of all colours and nationalities playing in increasing numbers for decades, what chance of stamping out homophobia when it is still considered funny and, yes, "bantz" to make jokes about someone's sexuality?

Offline peter w

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 05:10:57 AM »
It's more to do with acceptance within the dressing room than the terraces. It's the preserve of grown up boys and jokes about tits, Fannies and calling players who moan 'girls' or ' poofs' or such like. It isn't meant of course but the discourse of the football dressing room sadly isn't the preserve of Libertarians but of 7 year-old kids from the playground. That's the difficulty.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »
Could be wrong .but guessing 2001-2 ish.Pray tell,what happened ? (Genuine question)

Some internet nonsense rumour about him and Will Young, and it was open season.

Didn't he get sent off after about half an hour?

Taken off with an "injury". Looked visibly upset from where I was sitting.

Happened to Sol Campbell as well. I was threatened in the L Holte for challenging homophobic chanting

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »

Depends on why the reason they don't tell people they're gay, and (in my opinion) it's probably because they're terrified of the reactions. I mean why would you come out and then put up with the sneering,  ridicule and humiliation from the homophobes? It takes a very brave person to come out, and that's what I think the poster meant when he/see said it should be a cause for celebration.

Well I'm terrified of the reactions I'd get for 'coming out' (even on a Villa forum), so I don't blame the gay soccerballers for keeping sctum. 'Tis a veritable death sentence, I tell thee!

:P

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 10:15:49 AM »
I hate the word homophobia. It may be a phobia to some, but I doubt the majority. Some people are just nasty. Lord knows what I'd call it though.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »
I hate the word homophobia. It may be a phobia to some, but I doubt the majority. Some people are just nasty. Lord knows what I'd call it though.

Ignorance

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »

Some internet nonsense rumour about him and Will Young, and it was open season.

Didn't he get sent off after about half an hour?

Taken off with an "injury". Looked visibly upset from where I was sitting.

Happened to Sol Campbell as well. I was threatened in the L Holte for challenging homophobic chanting

That chant the Spurs fans came up with for him was just about the most offensive thing I've heard.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »

It medicalises an opinion - it's not a phobia

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal