collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing about  (Read 5929 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Press-ing about
« on: October 30, 2016, 11:57:42 PM »

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Press-ing about
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:10:55 AM »
Always fair and balanced Dave.  A poor game but a positive outcome.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:48:11 AM »
Before the game today I said to a younger fan that went with us not to expect a good game, just hope for a good result. I reckon I've missed 3/4 derbies since 1969 and can only think of three I've seen that were decent games - and even they probably weren't as good as I remember. The 2-1 at Villa Park when we came up in 1975 and the 3-2 defeat in that season's return and then I think Blues had a good go at us before we ran out 3-0 winners in the title winning season.
There've been several where we've played well, but were very one-sided against poor Blues teams, but most have been pretty dire. Today's was probably the worst of the lot though in terms of quality - although the goals were well taken.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:52:25 AM »
Not sure about the need for a dig at Craig Gardner?

What's the story there?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 03:09:19 AM »

What's the story there?

The story is that when Craig was breaking into the fringes of our first team he claimed that he was a massive Villa fan, then when he moved to Small Heath he claimed he was a massive Blues fan and always had been.
 Don't think he's ever claimed to be a massive lifelong Olbiyun fan but then who the fuck would ever sink THAT low?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:12:36 AM »

What's the story there?

The story is that when Craig was breaking into the fringes of our first team he claimed that he was a massive Villa fan, then when he moved to Small Heath he claimed he was a massive Blues fan and always had been.
 Don't think he's ever claimed to be a massive lifelong Olbiyun fan but then who the fuck would ever sink THAT low?

SVC?

Online nigel

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »

What's the story there?

I've always said that in fairness to Craig, he was hardly going to shout from the rooftops that he was a blues fan when just breaking through at Villa. When he moved over to blues from Villa he could have been in for a rough time from their fan, so came out that he was really a blue.

By all accounts their Dad used to take them to both Villa and blues games, so he may very well have supported both in some way.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »
Spot on Dave.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »
Whoever Gary supports, there's no doubt the joy he felt scoring yesterday, running the length of the pitch with a smile as wide as the Holte End.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 03:56:42 PM »
Before the game today I said to a younger fan that went with us not to expect a good game, just hope for a good result. I reckon I've missed 3/4 derbies since 1969 and can only think of three I've seen that were decent games - and even they probably weren't as good as I remember. The 2-1 at Villa Park when we came up in 1975 and the 3-2 defeat in that season's return and then I think Blues had a good go at us before we ran out 3-0 winners in the title winning season.
There've been several where we've played well, but were very one-sided against poor Blues teams, but most have been pretty dire. Today's was probably the worst of the lot though in terms of quality - although the goals were well taken.

My first instalment of this game was as an 11 year old, a 4-0 defeat at St. Andrews in 1968 and I've only missed a couple since as well (even if the last few have been on tv.)

They did have a run of 5 wins in a row against us (1976 - 1978) and as I worked in the city centre at the time, that was a bit of a nightmare time with so many of them around me - even if we did finish far higher in the league.  Thankfully a 1-0 win in October 1978 put us back in the driving seat and apart from a brief spell when they came back up in 2002 we've generally held the upper hand and they've never been the distance ahead of us that we were ahead of them in the late 1980s/early 1990s when the only time we played them was in the League Cup and was it the Simod Cup ?.

The quality of football may not have been as brilliant as some would like, but I stand by my statement of saying this fixture is always equally (if not more) intense as any of the so called more glamour local derbies.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 02:33:43 AM »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
We could use that as a template for next time we play SHA Delusion Bingo. He's got most of them in.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 07:21:34 AM »
Love it. Ha ha. I think they should be looking at lowering the level of LSD in the Bovril.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 07:40:32 AM »
Y'all gonna love this one...

http://thebirminghampress.com/2016/11/a-brucie-bonus/
Laughable. Zero attempt at any kind of balanced view. As for the coaches the vast majority came from B6 to B9. As do theirs when we play them. It's the preferred option for the police. Then he goes on to mention a mob from the Tilton end as some kind of heroic army. Pathetic. ON the pitch we rode our luck a bit 2nd half but hey it was their cup final. I have every confidence that SB when given time to stamp his style on the team will turn things around and when we next meet we will send back under their rocks in tears.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 08:18:10 AM »
He even made up the shots stats. Crikey.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal