collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ultra Culture in English football  (Read 5790 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Ultra Culture in English football
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 09:36:13 PM »
I've thought for years we need a song to get the Holte end revved up. I don't know how to post things on here but if anyone with the ability to do it could post "hibs fans singing sunshine on leith" you'll get my drift. It's absolutely awesome and I'd love to be on the Holte and belting out something like that.

I don't know how to embed stuff but it can be seen here:

It's awesome and spine-tingling, but nothing to do with 'ultra culture'. It's just a beautiful outpouring of joy from a bunch of fans who hadn't won that trophy in more than 100 years, and who (for the vast majority) all come from within a 5 mile radius of Easter Road, are embracing their club and and a rare chance to celebrate their end of town. Moments like that are centuries in the making and can't be 'organised' (in my opinion).

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »
I DO know how to embed things!

Offline The Edge

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »
I've thought for years we need a song to get the Holte end revved up. I don't know how to post things on here but if anyone with the ability to do it could post "hibs fans singing sunshine on leith" you'll get my drift. It's absolutely awesome and I'd love to be on the Holte and belting out something like that.

I don't know how to embed stuff but it can be seen here:

It's awesome and spine-tingling, but nothing to do with 'ultra culture'. It's just a beautiful outpouring of joy from a bunch of fans who hadn't won that trophy in more than 100 years, and who (for the vast majority) all come from within a 5 mile radius of Easter Road, are embracing their club and and a rare chance to celebrate their end of town. Moments like that are centuries in the making and can't be 'organised' (in my opinion).
Thanks for that mate. Might not be "ultra" culture but definitely orchestrated. Something on the same lines going on in the Holte would be amazing. Just need to find a tune of our own (not by man City fans) and someone to organize it with the club maybe at our last home game. Oh and last but not least something to celebrate😀

Offline The Edge

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »
I DO know how to embed things!
Thanks SE

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
Maybe we could all clap along to the Liquidator like Chelsea "Ultras" do when their team walks out. Or get the blessing of the club to produce some sanitised banners or hand out hymn sheets with lyrics to songs we've sought club approval to sing.
Ultra culture my arsehole, it's Soccer AM culture.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
Maybe we could all clap along to the Liquidator like Chelsea "Ultras" do when their team walks out. Or get the blessing of the club to produce some sanitised banners or hand out hymn sheets with lyrics to songs we've sought club approval to sing.
Ultra culture my arsehole, it's Soccer AM culture.

Spot on. The “Don’t Look Back In Anger” thing seems organic and it’s that spontaneity that can never be replicated no matter how much people try. Learning songs as they were sung was a joy when I was going to football as a kid. I remember one bloke starting “Nigel Spink throws the ball to Platty etc” on the ferry to Calais when we went to the San Siro in 1990. By the end of that journey it felt like the whole boat was singing.
Singing at a match should have an ebb and flow, but those Palace Ultras just go on and on and on. Remember, this sort of thing ends up with abominations like the England Band.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 10:22:49 AM »
They have that - the supporter facing the wrong way - in Germany too.
I went to watch Mainz05 away at Gladbach and the whole away section was crouching down and facing away from the pitch at the behest of the "Arschloch mit dem Megaphon" as we call him. The weren't happy that we weren't joining in, but their antics made them miss the Gladbach equaliser. Twats.
I like the flags at home games, but listening to them sing: "Rot und Weiß - die Farben unserer Stadt" for twenty minutes straight, makes you long for silence.

I don't mind them, but Ultras at some clubs seem to have reached a sort of super-fan level and be unable to do any wrong, even in the eyes of older, dedicated fans who should know better.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »
They have that - the supporter facing the wrong way - in Germany too.
I went to watch Mainz05 away at Gladbach and the whole away section was crouching down and facing away from the pitch at the behest of the "Arschloch mit dem Megaphon" as we call him. The weren't happy that we weren't joining in, but their antics made them miss the Gladbach equaliser. Twats.
I like the flags at home games, but listening to them sing: "Rot und Weiß - die Farben unserer Stadt" for twenty minutes straight, makes you long for silence.

I don't mind them, but Ultras at some clubs seem to have reached a sort of super-fan level and be unable to do any wrong, even in the eyes of older, dedicated fans who should know better.

As long as it is never "expected" of me to do anything then I am usually fine with it.
Was caught out by one round of applause last month and asked the fella next to me what it was for and he had no idea but just kept clapping...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal