collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ultra Culture in English football  (Read 5803 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Ultra Culture in English football
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
What's so wrong with just sitting there and watching the game ?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »
The whole game?

I can still leave after an hour, can't I?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »
I never understand the AGAINST MODERN FOOTBALL and such like banners that are seen at Palace. Are they displaying it on behalf of somebody who is so against modern football that they don't go to matches on principal or do they pay whatever it is to go into the ground each week to show how against modern football they are?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 01:11:32 PM »
Whenever the chattering class get involved in sport it takes a nose dive

No need for political agenda's to be involved, especially by anyone who writes in the Guardian

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
I've thought for years we need a song to get the Holte end revved up. I don't know how to post things on here but if anyone with the ability to do it could post "hibs fans singing sunshine on leith" you'll get my drift. It's absolutely awesome and I'd love to be on the Holte and belting out something like that.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 02:58:05 PM »
EVERYTHING

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
EVERYTHING

Why? I'm as much against modern football as anyone but this whole idea that we have to make such a fuss over bringing back 'atmosphere' is as contrived as foam hands and music after a goal.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »
Have the Brigada crowd moved as I don't recall hearing them much this season or more to the point hearing the drum?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »
Have the Brigada crowd moved as I don't recall hearing them much this season or more to the point hearing the drum?

I think they disbanded after the wrangling with stewards last season.

Offline cdward

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
It goes with the territory of modern football.
Teams like Chelsea and Arsenal are pricing ordinary fans out of the game and are catering for day trippers, half and half scarf wearers.
They come for the atmosphere, but are actually diluting it by being there in place of the more traditional supporters you would have found years ago.

Go to the Sty on Sunday, there will be an atmosphere that does not pretend to be, or want to be Ultra, just 2 sets of fans supporting their local teams.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
EVERYTHING

Why? I'm as much against modern football as anyone but this whole idea that we have to make such a fuss over bringing back 'atmosphere' is as contrived as foam hands and music after a goal.
I'm not in favour of contrived atmosphere or anything else contrived at football matches. I really hate those "Holte end -the 12th man" and the European cup commentary banners for example. What I'm talking about is getting behind the team vocally and getting animated. Just sitting there watching the game is not my idea of enjoying watching the villa. Each to his own. Or her own for that matter!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:26:41 PM by The Edge »

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
EVERYTHING

I'm not in favour of contrived atmosphere or anything else contrived at football matches. I really hate those "Holte end -the 12th man" and the European cup commentary banners for example. What I'm talking about is getting behind the team vocally. Getting animated and just sitting there watching the game is not my idea of enjoying watching the villa. Each to his own. Or her own for that matter!

I really do see your point Dave - club-run things like Manure's 'singing section' are so artificial they are actually worse than silence, in my opinion.  However, do you not think English teams could do a little more to allow greater atmosphere during the game (not actually manufacturing it)?  For example, allowing safe standing would  better the atmosphere, simply by virtue of the fact that people are stood up - nothing else is neccessary.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 07:06:59 PM »
EVERYTHING

MLS is the worst. They seem to have taken all the worst bits of supporting culture and melded them together. They even stand one supported up on a platform, facing away from the pitch, to conduct the chanting. Sometimes their ultra section is on the halfway line, so i always research where they'll be before i book an MLS ticket

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 07:18:18 PM »
EVERYTHING

MLS is the worst. They seem to have taken all the worst bits of supporting culture and melded them together. They even stand one supported up on a platform, facing away from the pitch, to conduct the chanting. Sometimes their ultra section is on the halfway line, so i always research where they'll be before i book an MLS ticket

They have that - the supporter facing the wrong way - in Germany too.

Personally I think it is a good thing, after all if it's not your thing then you can sit elsewhere. 
I think the standing thing stated above is the way forward - one day... - as by virtue of going into that section of the ground I think you're signing up to a more casual atmosphere.  Furthermore with standing you're able to move location which is not as easy with designated seats.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »
EVERYTHING

Not to keen on the foam hands but the dirigible display last season was interesting. Upper Witton Lane rules.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal