collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ultra Culture in English football  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
Ultra Culture in English football
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:39:28 PM »
Fantastic article about 'ultras' groups in the Guardian.  Felt like I ought to post it, as it makes a very relevant point.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/23/premier-league-ultras-european-football

Is this something to think about?

Offline spk

Re: Ultra Culture in English football
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »
Id welcome it.Saw alot of games in Italy in the early 90s and some of the crowds were magnificent,Napoli being the best.Its a shame that the over zealous stewards were so harsh on the Brigada lot in L7 last season.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
i sat by brigada a couple of times and found the whole thing too contrived and fake. plus all of the political bollocks left or right has no place at football

give the crowd something to cheer about and there is no need

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:14:11 PM »
I think the example of how it can work well is the group of fans in that corner at Palace, who really are noticeable by what they bring to the atmosphere at Selhurst Park, even on TV.

Particularly in Italy, the 'darker' side of ultra-ism is often closely tied to less-than-savoury non-sporting third parties and in many leagues across the continent the power that sections of fans have over the goings on at certain clubs (Marseille is one currently that springs to mind, where the majority of ticket-selling is run by small groups of ultras) is not good at all.

There's nothing to suggest that would happen in England though so I'd like to see groups in the ilk of Brigada allowed to at least exist (managed by the club as opposed to being suppressed) within the ground - could definitely bring something positive, and quite often a better atmosphere = better attitude from the players.

Oswald makes a point though - has to be genuine - I'd hate to see a sort of club-backed contrived 'ultra' section...

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
To answer the title of this thread - There isn't one and I doubt there ever will be. Trying to copycat Europeans will never work because footballing culture is so different in this country.

Offline Tugby Villain

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
To answer the title of this thread - There isn't one and I doubt there ever will be. Trying to copycat Europeans will never work because footballing culture is so different in this country.

You're right, but surely we can take the principles of better atmosphere and more vibrancey and use them in an 'English' way? Take Palace, for example - a very 'English' football club, but they have a really effective ultra group.  Perhaps the wording is a little excessive.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:30:09 PM »
Aston Villa is a very traditional English  Football Club - Our fans already are educated, supportive and objective.  We do not need  a fad.  Perhaps  Small Heath or Tescos would embrace them.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
Only thing I'd change is the lack of invention in our chants. We haven't had a good, original chant since Yorkie.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:13:30 PM »
Aston Villa is a very traditional English  Football Club - Our fans already are educated, supportive and objective.  We do not need  a fad.  Perhaps  Small Heath or Tescos would embrace them.

like they could spell ultras  ;)

if they did they would only sing about us and small heath would attend on a rota basis

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:05:46 PM »
I live in London and go to Clapton games occasionally.  Yes it is contrived and I agree the matches *should* be the stimulus, but as we've seen at Villa Park recently, sometimes a game is flat and counter productive.  Having another stimuli, whether politics/anti-modern football/Birmingham/stupidness or whatever as a reason to shout and get excited cannot be a bad thing. 

Put it another way, as soon as the football warrants noise, any other agenda will be forgotten so it should be welcomed in my opinion.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »
Only thing I'd change is the lack of invention in our chants. We haven't had a good, original chant since Yorkie.
Oh i dunno! - i thought the "Going up, going down" thing when the noses got relegated was quite humorous.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »
So Ultras are basically cheerleaders - but not on the pitch - and they're blokes...

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »
Oh i dunno! - i thought the "Going up, going down" thing when the noses got relegated was quite humorous.

I always enjoyed the various forms of John Carew's song.

Offline Tugby Villain

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
I live in London and go to Clapton games occasionally.  Yes it is contrived and I agree the matches *should* be the stimulus, but as we've seen at Villa Park recently, sometimes a game is flat and counter productive.  Having another stimuli, whether politics/anti-modern football/Birmingham/stupidness or whatever as a reason to shout and get excited cannot be a bad thing. 

Put it another way, as soon as the football warrants noise, any other agenda will be forgotten so it should be welcomed in my opinion.

Good point, I agree.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »

Good point, I agree.

Yep - give us something to shout about and we will!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal