collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Justice for the 21  (Read 8038 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Justice for the 21
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »
This is exactly the sort of thing we should have a minute's applause for, not the proliferation of "my grandad's dead, he was a villa fan, he lived at number 25, can we have a minute's applause on the 25th minute, please?" style thing.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 11:11:14 PM »
This is exactly the sort of thing we should have a minute's applause for, not the proliferation of "my grandad's dead, he was a villa fan, he lived at number 25, can we have a minute's applause on the 25th minute, please?" style thing.

I agree.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »

Agree

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »
It should happen on the 21st minute at every game at Villa Park and the Sty until the final verdict of the enquiry is declared, not just for one game.

Without being derogatory in any way, maybe us Brummies are not 'Scouse' enough when it comes to getting vocal about something so important.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 07:33:00 AM »
Having just read 'Justice4the21.co.uk' I'm not clear about what the applause is for.

It seems the coroner has agreed to resume the inquest, ie due process is underway.

Is the applause in support of public funding for the lawyers representing the families?  Or is it in memory of the dead?  Or something else?

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »
I think it is for funding i.e the legal bill
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:40:01 AM by FrankyH »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
Having just read 'Justice4the21.co.uk' I'm not clear about what the applause is for.

It seems the coroner has agreed to resume the inquest, ie due process is underway.

Is the applause in support of public funding for the lawyers representing the families?  Or is it in memory of the dead?  Or something else?

I'm guessing by the name you're resident in the area, but I find it very surprising that it isn't more widely known locally that the families are appealing for legal aid for representation at the inquiry. It's been on all the local news, in the local rag, all over social media, and raised at PMQs by Andy Burnham. Hopefully this one minute of unity between Birmingham people can raise awareness and keep the pressure up on the government.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »
So the applause is in support of the families' claim for legal aid?

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »
Did anyone else go the match in 1974 at St. Andrews just after the bombing?

I can't remember it that well, but vaguely recall it was England vs .Blues & Villa.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »

Yes, to match that given to the Hillsborough campaign. They have not been refused yet, the Government appear to be unwilling to make a decision. I imagine the purpose of the applause will be to raise awareness and therefore put more pressure on the Home Secretary.

One of the main complaints regarding the Hillsborough campaign was the imbalance in resources when taking on the state.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »

Yes. They have already been refused funding by Amber Rudd, and now they are being forced to wait for a decision for aid from higher up. You can understand the government of the day being reticent on the matter, what with it being a massive establishment cover-up (miscarriages of justice, lost evidence including a bomb, 75-year embargo on files of evidence) and all that.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »
Did anyone else go the match in 1974 at St. Andrews just after the bombing?

I can't remember it that well, but vaguely recall it was England vs .Blues & Villa.

Yes, I did but I remember very little about it

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:14 PM »

Yes. They have already been refused funding by Amber Rudd, and now they are being forced to wait for a decision for aid from higher up. You can understand the government of the day being reticent on the matter, what with it being a massive establishment cover-up (miscarriages of justice, lost evidence including a bomb, 75-year embargo on files of evidence) and all that.

There's a bit more to it than this. The families (and their lawyers) wanted their legal costs met by the government direct (as they were for the Hillsborough families) and it's this that's been refused.

They've instead been invited to apply for exceptional funding from the Legal Aid Agency, which would mean the lawyers doing the work at a much lower rate, and that such an application would have Ms Rudd's blessing (though the LAA is supposed to be independent of such influence). I'd assume the lawyers are less happy about this idea.

Another complication is that the law form in question is Northern Irish, so wouldn't ordinarily be eligible for legal aid payments from the LAA (England & Wales). I'm not sure why the families have a NI firm representing them.

It's a dog's dinner, but I'd bet it'll get fudged and sorted.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 08:07:02 AM »
There's a hint in some reports that it's tied in with the Unionist movement.  The Traditional Unionist Voice hosted the campaign's team in 'voicing their plight' to the people of Northern Ireland.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:09:54 AM by oldhill_avfc »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
There's a hint in some reports that it's tied in with the Unionist movement.  The Traditional Unionist Voice hosted the campaign's team in 'voicing their plight' to the people of Northern Ireland.

The group state that they are a non-political organisation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal