collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke not given an interview shocker  (Read 14514 times)

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Re: Dwight Yorke not given an interview shocker
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
Despite everything he's done since he left, I can't get over the fact he's the best player Villa have ever had since I started going to Villa Park.

And because of that, I can't bring myself to think of him as a bit of a bellend.

What a player he was.

C'mon though, Dwight, it was never going to happen.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
Should Dwight be manager of Aston Villa - I would say absolutely not. Do some (white) ex-players get preferential treatment and land top jobs they are arguably not qualified for - I would say yes (see Keane, Neville, Southgate, Robson, etc). Does Dwight's previous reputation as a party goer whilst playing help him - I would say no it's not going to help him one little bit.

But the Uk is full of racist institutions why would football be any different? Is there racism in football? I would say yes absolutely (as Dwight points out) the numbers don't match up.

Agree with this. Plenty of ex-players walk into "top" jobs. He might have a point.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 06:41:40 PM »
Should Dwight be manager of Aston Villa - I would say absolutely not. Do some (white) ex-players get preferential treatment and land top jobs they are arguably not qualified for - I would say yes (see Keane, Neville, Southgate, Robson, etc). Does Dwight's previous reputation as a party goer whilst playing help him - I would say no it's not going to help him one little bit.

But the Uk is full of racist institutions why would football be any different? Is there racism in football? I would say yes absolutely (as Dwight points out) the numbers don't match up.

You are right Keane, Neville, Southgate + Robson probably were fortunate, but they were nearly all legendary captains at club level and at some point Chairman will have to take a gamble on this type of character. I'd even say Shearer probably deserved a better crack at Newcastle. The fact of the matter is though, Yorke never showed any leadership qualities as a player so why the f-ck would any big club take a massive gamble on him.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:18 PM »
What has also been missed, is he was that serious and professional about applying for the job, Did he write a letter of intent, did he send a e-mail of intent, No he sent Keith Wyness a text .WTF.

that says everything you need to know about the bloke

along with how he treats his son

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »
I like Yorke for what he did with us, but this highlights one of my big bugbears about modern football - that players think they can start at the top (often with their ex-clubs) as managers just because they were top players at those clubs. Look at the kind of clubs great managers like Saunders, Clough, Shankly and Ferguson started with. Giggs was supposedly shunned by Swansea - well, good. Lampard's been quoted as saying he would ONLY consider managing Chelsea, ridiculous if true. I agree with the poster who mentioned Ince being happy to start at the bottom and work his way up; ok he didn't turn out to be any good at the top but I  respect him for doing it the right way. The only succesful exception I can think of off the top of my head was Dalglish, and let's face it, he had everything already in place.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »

You are right Keane, Neville, Southgate + Robson probably were fortunate, but they were nearly all legendary captains at club level and at some point Chairman will have to take a gamble on this type of character. I'd even say Shearer probably deserved a better crack at Newcastle. The fact of the matter is though, Yorke never showed any leadership qualities as a player so why the f-ck would any big club take a massive gamble on him.
Keane, Neville, Southgate and Robson were all TERRIBLE league managers - because they weren't prepared to learn their tradep roperly, starting at the bottom. To be fair Southgate at least takes it seriously.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 07:33:19 PM »
Load of bollix. Why doesn't he apply to manage Solihull Moors to start with?

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 10:04:10 AM »
I've long forgiven him for his departure but there's no way he should get a job at a top club.

Let him work his way up as assistant manager or as manager of a lower league/non-league club first.

Suggesting that his skin colour is anything to do with our decision not to appoint a complete rookie is a pathetic low blow.

Indeed. The man is an utter bellend.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »
Had Yorke got the Job I think we'd have all been re-quoting John Gregory within 5 or 6 games. 

Offline The Edge

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »
Had Yorke got the Job I think we'd have all been re-quoting John Gregory within 5 or 6 games.
Also I'll never forget Everton away when he was clearly not trying so as to try and force his move to Man Ure. For these reasons he can never be considered a villa legend.
He lost all his B6 priveliges that day.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 06:23:43 PM »
Also I'll never forget Everton away when he was clearly not trying so as to try and force his move to Man Ure. For these reasons he can never be considered a villa legend.
He lost all his B6 priveliges that day.
Along with the badge kissing after he left!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
http://talksport.com/football/listen-you-are-not-even-being-given-interview-let-alone-job-dwight-yorke-claims-aspiring

He 'can't get his head around' not getting an interview.  Linking it to colour rather than being qualified/suitable. 

There may be an underlying point here but I recall John Barnes using this as an excuse ignoring the fact that his managerial record was pretty poor.

And using the 'even though I had someone like Sir Alex ready to endorse me' line sadly brings back recent memories!

Paul Ince used throwing out similar statements after he got fired at Blackburn for being hopelessly out of his depth.

Accusing AVFC of racism for ignoring his "CV" is shameful to be honest. A blindingly brilliant player that I'll never forget but like many of them their true colours are never too far from the surface.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
There are 92 clubs in football in main 4 division and there are say 150 players who played for each team plus overseas coaches there are very few opportunities. If he really want to manage a football club, he can use his wealth to buy the like of York City or Port Vale whatever then be owner/manager.  He also could consider coaching youth team and make a name for himself.  Don't tell us what you are interested in or want, just do something to prove yourself. If I was a chairman/owner I wouldn't be interested in rookies for managers job.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
Ever since he kissed that badge at Old Trafford I've not given a tinker's cuss what he says, thinks or does.
Same here mate.We picked him up after he was spotted playing football on a beach  and gave him a life beyond his wildest dreams. He showed a total lack of class and gratitude when he engineered a move to Old Toilet and followed it up with his badge kissing antics. Coupled with his sex & drugs videos and his treatment of his disabled son I'd say he's pretty far down on the list of suitable candidates for the difficult job of managing  Aston Villa football club.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:42:30 PM by The Edge »

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
I have beyond Steve Hodge levels of dislike for Yorke. If I owned the Club I'd ban him from all Villa property for life.  Whenever he is a pundit for Villa games I genuinely feel like switching off, indeed, I'd rather hear a Robbie Savage or Mickey Quinn talk Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal