collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jimmy MacEwan (McEwan)  (Read 4401 times)

Offline DaveH1874

Jimmy MacEwan (McEwan)
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »
I do some voluntary charity work for the British Heart Foundation, collecting donations and this morning visited the home of one of my early Villa heroes, Jimmy MacEwan.  Unfortunately Jimmy is in a care home now and one of his son's was clearing out the house. As I walked through the door I saw a huge collage of Villa photos and immediately recognised Jimmy, " A player who hugged the touchline, cutting in when the ball was being moved along the opposite flank..." I think my Dad wanted me to play like Jimmy when I was a kid.  On another wall was a framed 1960's League Cup Final jersey worn by Jimmy.  His son recalled waiting in the Villa car park after a game for his Dad playing football with his brother.  Jimmy apparently was always the last out.  My Dad passed away 16 years ago but he enjoyed me telling him about my visit.  Things like this just make your day sometimes.
UTV.

Offline croatian

Re: Jimmy MacEwan (McEwan)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »
I've got a very faint memory of seeing him play, probably for the reserves right at the end of his career. My dad was a fan of his.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:51:00 PM by croatian »

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »
Watched him in the early 60s before he was replaced by a younger little Scottish winger, Johnny McCloud.

I seem to remember that MacEwan looked far older than he was. A typical Scottish winger of that time.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
Met Jimmy and a few of the 'Old boys' at Nigel Simms book signing. Really nice chap.
Got them all to sign the book, but, they were all 'What do your want my autograph for? I'm just a normal chap'  'Because you played for the greatest football team ever'  was my reply.

Offline papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »
I do some voluntary charity work for the British Heart Foundation, collecting donations and this morning visited the home of one of my early Villa heroes, Jimmy MacEwan.  Unfortunately Jimmy is in a care home now and one of his son's was clearing out the house. As I walked through the door I saw a huge collage of Villa photos and immediately recognised Jimmy, " A player who hugged the touchline, cutting in when the ball was being moved along the opposite flank..." I think my Dad wanted me to play like Jimmy when I was a kid.  On another wall was a framed 1960's League Cup Final jersey worn by Jimmy.  His son recalled waiting in the Villa car park after a game for his Dad playing football with his brother.  Jimmy apparently was always the last out.  My Dad passed away 16 years ago but he enjoyed me telling him about my visit.  Things like this just make your day sometimes.
UTV.
Nice story Dave, especially the bit about telling your Dad, I know how you feel. Jimmy was just a couple of years before my regular attending but I'd probably been there with my Dad or Uncle when he was playing - I was just too busy running up and down the bank at the back of the Witton End.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »
Met Jimmy and a few of the 'Old boys' at Nigel Simms book signing. Really nice chap.
Got them all to sign the book, but, they were all 'What do your want my autograph for? I'm just a normal chap'  'Because you played for the greatest football team ever'  was my reply.

LOVE THE VILLA

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »
I remember Jimmy playing for us from the early '60's onwards. He came from Raith Rovers and I think he left to join Walsall around '66ish. He had an easily recognisable head down hunched look when he sped down the wing. I believe that he was over 30 when we signed him, but he always put a shift in.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »
Jimmy was nicknamed Pancho because of his bandy legs.Always gave of his best.I hope the care home looks after him well.

Offline croatian

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
I remember Jimmy playing for us from the early '60's onwards. He came from Raith Rovers and I think he left to join Walsall around '66ish. He had an easily recognisable head down hunched look when he sped down the wing. I believe that he was over 30 when we signed him, but he always put a shift in.
The memories return, my dad was from Kirkcaldy and a copper when Walmley was a village, they met over something to do with an antique shop and became drinking buddies, I think a young Charlie aitken is somewhere in there too?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
Jimmy was nicknamed Pancho because of his bandy legs.Always gave of his best.I hope the care home looks after him well.
That's how I always remember him...the bandiest legs I've ever seen...and a good old fashioned winger.
One of my early Villa heroes.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »

Excellent!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 08:45:48 PM »
I well remember when we signed Jimmy from Raith.  My old lad reckoned he was closer to forty than thirty because of his deceptive looks.  All the best Jimmy and thanks for being a Villa man.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
I remember Jimmy, hugged the touchline, scored a few goals for us like most wingers of the day, I was a kid in those days but thought he was getting on a bit.  Good luck in the home Jimmey.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »
Birthdate: 22/03/1929 in Dundee, Scotland
Position: Outside-right
Playing for Villa: 29 July 1959 - August 1966
Previous clubs: Ashdale, East Craigie, Arbroath, Raith Rovers
Signed: £8.000 - From Raith Rovers
Sold: Free transfer - To Walsall
League: 143 matches - 28 goals
FA Cup: 20 matches - 0 goals
League Cup: 18 matches - 4 goals
International: Scotland B (1 cap)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 07:05:39 AM »
I can only remember him from The Old Stars. Late 60s/early 70s in the same team as Johnny Dixon and Stan`The Wham` Lynn. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal