collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Managerial Merry-Go-Round Bruce vs Warnock, McClaren, Lambert & Holloway  (Read 14104 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Bruce vs Warnock, McClaren & Lambert
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »
McClaren will do well at Derby this season I reckon, playoffs. Just a good fit for that club.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 05:07:19 PM »
Derby fans I know weren't saying that eighteen months ago, after Schteve took them from top to eighth!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 05:25:07 PM »
In their present state McClaren's a good fit for Derby.

Like us Derby with their squad had no business battling relegation and they were always going to rise up the league.

It might not have got them promotion but 4-3-3 is a miles better fit for their team than the 4-4-2 Pearson was disastrously employing.

Like him or not but Warnock knows this league inside out and is already getting impressive results from Cardiff. That will not be an easy game for us on Saturday.

Lambert won't last the season imo, poor appointment from Wolves. He's lost whatever he had going for him at Norwich.

Most interesting one to watch I think will be Holloway at QPR. Again like him or not but he too is a good manager at this level and he's the sort of personality I think QPR need as they've lost their identity last few years with a massively overpaid squad even at prem level.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »
After embrassing fa cup exit Swindon suffered 4-0 loss now any talk of Sherwood is incessantly uneccessary  he's rather ineffective

Offline Diablo

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »
So...The Wally with the Brolly jumps to pole position (posing the question that he may not be a wally after all?) Bruce (Almighty) whilst maintaining his unbeaten start, following "our best performance of the season", slips to second and 16th place in the actual table. Warnock (with limited resources at his disposal) wins to close the gap to 2 points behind Bruce. Holloway gets off to a flier and manages to stop himself resembling a drowned weasel (his words) as he gets a great reception following his 2nd coming at QPR (and to think I actually liked the guy the season Blackpool got promoted). Whilst Lambert (in fitting with his character) has a more sobering and subdued return to management with a 0-0 draw at Preston.

McClaren P6 W4 D1 L1 13 pts
Bruce      P6 W3 D3 L0 12 pts
Warnock  P6 W3 D1 L2 10 pts
Holloway P1 W1 D0 L0   3 pts
Lambert  P1 W0 D1 L0   1 pts

Footyskillz suggested adding Holloway (great shout) which will certainly add some spice and interest following his various comments on the club in recent years and his run in with our new owner.

I'm happy to add Timmy if someone wants? But seeing as he's not officially Swindon's manager? And they're not in our division I pretty much thought him irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:25:49 AM by Diablo »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Managerial Merry-Go-Round Bruce vs Warnock, McClaren, Lambert & Holloway
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
Personally I'd rather see no further mention of Nice But Dim on these pages.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »
I've heard a story that McLaren was only reappointed as Derby are still paying him off from his last Derby sacking and thought they might as well re-appoint him and actually get something back for their money!!

It's looking like a shrewd bit of business at the moment (especially if the story you heard is true - did the source seem credible/reliable?). Schteve "I think he's a busted flush" is currently making me eat my  words.

Risso - no mention of Tim Nice but Dim works for me :-)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 08:04:22 PM »
I've heard a story that McLaren was only reappointed as Derby are still paying him off from his last Derby sacking and thought they might as well re-appoint him and actually get something back for their money!!

It's looking like a shrewd bit of business at the moment (especially if the story you heard is true - did the source seem credible/reliable?). Schteve "I think he's a busted flush" is currently making me eat my  words.

I seem to recall there was some team in Italy that did this a few years back. They had fired their previous manager but he was still on payroll running down his contract, then months later fired his replacement and did a "surprise" press conference when the old manager stepped back on stage.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 08:55:08 PM »

I seem to recall there was some team in Italy that did this a few years back. They had fired their previous manager but he was still on payroll running down his contract, then months later fired his replacement and did a "surprise" press conference when the old manager stepped back on stage.

Almost certainly more than one team. Palermo are the most famous for it I reckon though.

Twenty changes of manager since 2011, but about five of them have been brought back for a second stint as they were still under contract.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »
I will probably have a nightmare tonight: I will be naked in the offices of Villa Park and every door I open will reveal either NBD, RDM, TSM, TSM2 or DOL sitting there saying "I've still got three years, you know!" (Or in TSM2's case: "Hngng soon, och hhhngg, gggrhubng go again").

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »
Re my previous post about re-hiring Schteve: the contact was a long-term Derby fan who felt this fact was the only possible reason for bringing him back. This guy was a serious critic of the football McLaren's team played, even when they were top of the league, winning something like seven games on the bounce at one stage, as I recall.

Derby fans regarded this guy as a blowhard miseryguts until Derby went into a sharp decline, playing awful, gutless football and finishing outside the play-off places. Then, suddenly, everyone agreed he'd been right all along!!

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 12:50:39 AM »

Almost certainly more than one team. Palermo are the most famous for it I reckon though.

Twenty changes of manager since 2011, but about five of them have been brought back for a second stint as they were still under contract.

Wow. Still it makes sense in a way. Like having a spare manager on the bench ready to come in :)

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 09:55:42 AM »
Holloway 0-2 Lambert last night
Looks like novelty act Holloway wearing off already  after initial win.
Steady  Eddie Lambo pulled  off his first wolves win.
McLaren  of the other managers seems most capable and Derby best team from wolves qpr Cardiff.

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 01:18:15 PM »
McLaren  of the other managers seems most capable and Derby best team from wolves qpr Cardiff.
They beat a team reduced to ten for an hour!!

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »
They beat a team reduced to ten for an hour!!

1 - 2 NO?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal