collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Managerial Merry-Go-Round Bruce vs Warnock, McClaren, Lambert & Holloway  (Read 14110 times)

Offline Diablo

With Cardiff, Derby and ourselves all changing managers within the space of a week and Warnock and McClaren being linked/mentioned to our recently vacant managerial position (if not in the press but on the H&V forum) I thought it begged the question who will finish higher come the end of the season? Here we have 3 sizable teams prior to the start of the season hoping for promotion currently in or near the bottom of the table with only 2 points (and 2 goals) separating them, making it a pretty level playing field (pun intended). I wonder how Cardiff and Derby fans have responded to their new managerial appointments and wonder what would have been the reaction on H&V if we’d appointed either McClaren or Warnock. H&V forum meltdown?

Anywho I’m sick of hearing about that shower down the road and I thought this might make an interesting, fun and welcome distraction prediction game with 2 teams that aren’t directly our local rivals.

So who will steady the ship quickest?

Who will end up finishing the highest?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:23:51 AM by Diablo »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The Managerial Merry-Go- Round Prediction Game
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
We will finish highest. I'm basing this on pure guesswork though.

Derby were boring as fuck against us, but their forum seems to think McLaren will have them playing better football, albeit he's hardly a universally popular choice.

Haven't seen Cardiff play since we visited in the Premier League two or three years ago.

So, yeah. We will definitely finish above both of them, or at least one. Or possibly neither.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:32:33 PM »
Interesting question.

I'd have to disagree that Cardiff were hoping for promotion, although they finished 8th last season I think they overachieved a bit and aren't a big club at this level like ourselves and Derby.

Cardiff have the weakest squad out of the three and the least money, but I think Warnock thrives in that situation and despite bringing in cast-offs like Kieran Richardson and Hoilett, they will surge up the league to safety in to a comfortable mid-table position.

If neither of us or Derby go up, which I don't think we will (I see us maybe sneaking 5th or 6th but Derby not), then Warnock will have to be seen as having done the best job this season.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »
I think Villa have chosen well. Bruce wouldn't  have been our choice if we'd been challenging for a European place but, given our position and our recent history of failure, he's probably the right man for the job.
McClaren just can't motivate. He's failed at most of his clubs and will be out of Derby before the end of the season.
I have to confess that I like Warnock. I wrote in a recent H&V that he's a charismatic figure, like BFR in some ways, who gets results. What he achieved with Rotherham last season was remarkable. Provided that he doesn't fall out with Tan I can see him being successful at Cardiff.
Who will achieve the greatest success this season?
1 Bruce
2 Warnock
3 McClaren

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
Just been announced that QPR are backing Hasselbank over the Telegraph allegations.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
I think we have by far the better squad and will also add to it in the transfer window.  That said, we do need to start putting a run together and being better at the back.  Hopefully, Bruce will find a formula with the players and not confuse them by changing the shape of the team three times every game.  I back us for the play-offs this season.  To be fair, I think I would rather go up via the play offs than finish second.  Obviously, winning the league adds to the honours board and that would be preferable, but the play off final is watched by millions around the world and would give us great exposure.  There are the nerves and stress of semi finals I guess, so second place would be safer, but going up through the play offs and a final at Wembley, would be ace.  One can dream!  I'm happy enough with Bruce.  He has something to prove and will want to be the Manager to prove to Dr Tony that he can hang around the spend the millions to try to get the club up in to the European places.  However, first things first. Start winning games!

Offline Diablo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 04:06:29 AM »
I'm sorry to say I think Cardiff will finish above us (actually thought it before tonights result but seeing as I've just got in, I thought I'd do a drunken post). I'd never considered Warnock as a Villa manager but looking at where we are and Bruce being appointed I see quite a few comparisons (e.g. promotions and Villa being the biggest job in their career) I think we've possibly missed a trick (we need a bit of nastiness adding).  I agree with Frank  I think McClaren is unable to motivate a team and is actually now a busted flush (I think we'll finish above Derby) but I think Bruce will have difficulty turning the Villa juggernaut around (4 wins in 50 games) and like AVH87 can't see us going up this year. Fingers crossed I'm wrong. So steadying the ship quickest I'm gonna say Warnock and finishing highest - Cardiff. Ouch! That hurts. My prediction...Cardiff, Villa, Derby.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:49:41 AM by Diablo »

Offline Diablo

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 05:13:04 PM »
Cardiff and Derby both win with their respective new managers in their first match, but Warnock has been accused of dodgy dealings whilst at Palace by Puncheon who also said he was never at training?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37679431

Offline dcdavecollett

I've heard a story that McLaren was only reappointed as Derby are still paying him off from his last Derby sacking and thought they might as well re-appoint him and actually get something back for their money!!

Offline DeeBoy1

Very good thread, in fact I'd vote for it to be stickied for this season.

Both my heart and my head say:

Bruce
Warnock
McLaren

Hopefully our squad will counter Warnock's man management in the end, I wouldn't bet against us seeing each other in the playoffs if things click for both. McLaren is a ridiculous hire so soon after being sacked, it's quite frankly bizarre and embarrassing for him to have gone back. I fear for him, for someone who was such a well respected coach to have fallen so far is quite sad. He comes across as such a cringy caricature now that I actually feel sorry for him.

Offline oldhill_avfc

The irony ....

Warnock was (allegedly) making players to pay to get in the team while we've been paying the likes of N'zog and Flabby to stay at home.

Let's see if the football select committee and FA can unravel that one.

Offline footyskillz

Bruce to finish above these two.
It's the same order for the clubs and managers best manager Bruce best and bigger club villa then the 2 accordingly
Villa derby Cardiff .
Bruce biggest successful manager then mcclaren then Warnock

Offline Diablo

Following Huddersfield's 93min winner against Derby the manager comparison (3 games in) reads

Warnock (Cardiff) won 2 drawn 1 points 7 (undefeated)
Bruce (Villa) won 2 drawn 1 points 7 (undefeated)
McClaren (Derby) won 1 drawn 1 lost 1 points 4

It really couldn't be much closer between them with all of the teams having experienced that new manager bounce syndrome.

Following McClaren's undefeated start prior to yesterdays game there was a really interesting article about his career. Wally with the Brolly or Coaching King? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37655418

Also Warnock is having to dampen possible promotion talk following his great start http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37741351

Place yer bets (well your predictions)... who is gonna do what? Will all of them survive and make it to the end of the season? Could this be the plot for Tony's Hollywood film? ;-)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:50:56 AM by Diablo »

Offline Diablo

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Bruce vs Warnock, McClaren & Lambert
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »
Holy Macaroni!!  With the confirmed appointment of Paul Lambert to Wolves (and possible appointment of Tim Sherwood to QPR) my current fixation with other managers in the championship has gone off the richter scale!! The thought of us playing Lambert and Sherwood teams in the championship this season (although bizarre) seems entirely fitting in a perverse way as they were both so hugely responsible for our decline (anyways this is covered else where). As it now stands after 5 games.

Bruce      P5 W3 D2 L0  11pts
McClaren P5 W3 D1 L1 10pts
Warnock  P5 W2 D L L2  7pts

Can't wait to add Lambert (and hopefully Timmy) to the table (if his mate Les can help get him the job that is) - sh.. just got even more interesting.

Offline footyskillz

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Bruce vs Warnock, McClaren & Lambert
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »
Holy Macaroni!!  With the confirmed appointment of Paul Lambert to Wolves (and possible appointment of Tim Sherwood to QPR) my current fixation with other managers in the championship has gone off the richter scale!! The thought of us playing Lambert and Sherwood teams in the championship this season (although bizarre) seems entirely fitting in a perverse way as they were both so hugely responsible for our decline (anyways this is covered else where). As it now stands after 5 games.

Bruce      P5 W3 D2 L0  11pts
McClaren P5 W3 D1 L1 10pts
Warnock  P5 W2 D L L2  7pts

Can't wait to add Lambert (and hopefully Timmy) to the table (if his mate Les can help get him the job that is) - sh.. just got even more interesting.

Update . We need to olly too!  Southgate number one fan is bossing at QPR and far more shrewd than Sherwood. I don't think anyone apart from Lee power Sherwood best mate and league one would  give him a go.  Think it shows it's only  media who rafe him as Holloway is far better and proven. 

I think Holloway would have secretly loved to get the villa or Derby job

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal