collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: spreading the Villa message around the world  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: spreading the Villa message around the world
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
It was a long time ago when I was there- fascinating place. Met some great people. Glad to get home at the end though. I can't imagine what it would've been like trying to 'take' it back off the Argentinians though. They probably thought once they had invaded, it was theirs for keeps. Would've been a logistical nightmare for the British forces, given the distance and the terrain and weather conditions there. Always wondered why all the effort went into it, until I learned of the potentially huge oil reserves in the region...

There was a load of Stourbridge Villa fans - you know a few of them, Robbo - that got work pipe-fitting on the Ascension Islands several years ago. They lasted a couple of weeks before they all got deported for "high jinx" and general playing up ( think Bez and Shaun Ryder in Barbados, recording Yes Please) - they were flown home in a military plane and while they were on the tarmac waiting to come home a local copper thanked them for all the overtime they had provided him with. 

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »
It was a long time ago when I was there- fascinating place. Met some great people. Glad to get home at the end though. I can't imagine what it would've been like trying to 'take' it back off the Argentinians though. They probably thought once they had invaded, it was theirs for keeps. Would've been a logistical nightmare for the British forces, given the distance and the terrain and weather conditions there. Always wondered why all the effort went into it, until I learned of the potentially huge oil reserves in the region...

There was a load of Stourbridge Villa fans - you know a few of them, Robbo - that got work pipe-fitting on the Ascension Islands several years ago. They lasted a couple of weeks before they all got deported for "high jinx" and general playing up ( think Bez and Shaun Ryder in Barbados, recording Yes Please) - they were flown home in a military plane and while they were on the tarmac waiting to come home a local copper thanked them for all the overtime they had provided him with. 

Was Mr L among them?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »

Was Mr L among them?

Of course. He's coming to Reading and Brighton with us

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 02:39:09 PM »

Was Mr L among them?

Of course. He's coming to Reading and Brighton with us

Pass on my respects. I shall be at an official function in China with Dr Tony for Reading.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »
Yes he did DCP.  He carried a fridge freezer on his back.  ITV said he had to look as though it had almost killed him so he sent a private video link to his mother saying it was really easy peasey and he was fine.  Knowing him he probably ended the Yomp swimming in the South Atlantic with the Elephant Seals.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
I would have thought winning an election war after sinking the Belgrano was a possible factor, too.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
Listening to The Goats on the walk to work this morning reminded me that I gave four of the band (Maxx, Sean, Swayzak and Mark, this will only mean anything to paulie) old Villa shirts which they then all wore at a gig in their home city of Philadelphia. Maxx knew of Villa as his cousin played in an indoor match at the NIA against Villa, I found out we had signed Milosevic through Maxx as he had seen it on a news channel when we were somewhere in Germany!

Offline willenhall villa

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
Me and the mrs went to Berlin last weekend. Had a lovely but cold run round the city on Saturday morning in my Villa top.
Met a couple of villa lads from Dudley on the evening watching the game in a Irish pub.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal