collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa's ludicrous £50m transfer spree ripped to shreds  (Read 15678 times)

Offline Fingers

• GM : 30.01.2025
Re: Aston Villa's ludicrous £50m transfer spree ripped to shreds
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 04:26:26 PM »

Danny Murphy is a bell,

Having met him in Portugal I can confirm this to be true. 

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 04:43:34 PM »
Danny Murphy is an example of an ill educated ex footballer of the "lad dun brilliant there" genre who get work because they have played the game in the top divisions. The TV producers think they have appeal for the type who they imagine watch their programmes.

His opinion means nothing at all.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
How come the players have been bad value for money, but Clarke is good value? Has he he been doing something I haven't spotted, because I thought whilst players have been rotated we have lost nearly every game.

Danny next time you write something and you want me to read it, put it in the bin, any bin.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2016, 05:54:33 PM »
Danny Murphy is an example of an ill educated ex footballer of the "lad dun brilliant there" genre who get work because they have played the game in the top divisions. The TV producers think they have appeal for the type who they imagine watch their programmes.

His opinion means nothing at all.

I don't see that in Murphy at all, to me always seems more articulate than the average footballer.

I don't agree with him over this but that doesn't mean he's wrong about everything. Then again, if results do not pick up soon he might have a point.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2016, 06:16:41 PM »
The Championship side spent around £50m on nine players during the window - more than Champions League winners Real Madrid - but the new arrivals have failed to impress.

Strikers Ross McCormack and Jonathan Kodjia were snapped up for fees that could reach £27m but they have scored just three goals between them while £4.25m Italian keeper Pierluigi Gollini has struggled between the sticks.

"They've so overspent on players," Murphy said.

"Some of the money they have spent on average players is ridiculous, absolutely ludicrous."

Remind me, how much did Liverpool spend on Andy Caroll again?  ;D

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2016, 06:39:36 PM »
He's a good intelligent pundit for me. I know we're supposed to call anyone who disses us a twat . .

I don't think you can argue that spending up to (what was it?) £30m with add ons for two strikers who've never payed top flight football is crazy. justifiable if they get you promoted maybe

Is James Chester an &8m centre back?  That guy Liverpool bought cost about £2m didn't he?

£4m for 32 year old Jedinak with one year on his contract?

I do think his comments are overblown. But it doesn't exactly look like we've bought the strong spine we were aiming to. At the moment at least

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2016, 06:57:30 PM »
I've always thought Danny Murphy was one of the better pundits and comes across well on the TV.

I don't agree with him here though, we had to have a massive clear out which was plainly obvious which meant a massive turnover of playing staff. To compare it to Madrid is a poor comparison, they didn't have a season like us.

We might have bought the odd one who might not work out but I'm convinced a strong manager will select a team and formation and we'll succeed with this squad.

The first 8 matches was a very fine line to us all thinking RDM was good. We very nearly had many wins and very nearly scored a shed load.

The last 3 matches or so, we'll all went a bit tactic Tim.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
I've always thought he's one of the better and more articulate pundits, seems any time anybody says anything critical of Villa they immediately become a 'twat' and aren't qualified to comment. There's no disputing the fact we've spent a ridiculous amount of money and aren't actually any good.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:44:53 PM by Chris Jameson »

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »
I've always thought Danny Murphy was one of the better pundits and comes across well on the TV.

I don't agree with him here though, we had to have a massive clear out which was plainly obvious which meant a massive turnover of playing staff. To compare it to Madrid is a poor comparison, they didn't have a season like us.

A strange comparison really considering Madrid have spent just short of a billion pounds on transfer fees in the last 10 years!

Offline The Edge

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
"He was very unlucky at West Brom" yeah ok, being sacked after winning 9 of his last 41 league games is very unlucky.
[/quote
Fuck me with stats like that he's Pep Guardiola compared to our last 4 managers!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:18:18 PM by The Edge »

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 08:09:40 PM »
Only opinion we should read is current/ex-Villa Players (apart from Cascarino) as it is no good reading the like of Murphy and Savage.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 08:48:17 PM »
Only opinion we should read is current/ex-Villa Players (apart from Cascarino) as it is no good reading the like of Murphy and Savage.

Eh? By that logic you are saying an illiterate moron like Paul Merson has a more valid opinion than anybody who hasn't played for Villa? I'd even rather listen to Savage than Merson.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 08:52:46 PM »
Pundits trying to big up their mates for the job. It's almost like an anti reference.

Online Pete3206

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »
The transfer kitty wasn't rubbished on transfer deadline day and I don't think most of us saw the sheer fuckwittery of RDM's team tactics panning out quite the way they did.

Bellends like Murphy, Savage and Cascarino are talking clichés. "For me...", "I'll tell you what", "solid, well organised", "he'll be disappointed with that", "at this level" yadda yadda.

Bore off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal