collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The last 6/7 years  (Read 6923 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: The last 6/7 years
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 10:17:17 PM »
Ancient history, but MON's departure put us into a tailspin from which we are yet to recover from.  I still think that allowing Lambert to coast along for far too long caused further serious damage to the club. 

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »
Ancient history, but MON's departure put us into a tailspin from which we are yet to recover from.  I still think that allowing Lambert to coast along for far too long caused further serious damage to the club. 

Yes, it was the point when just turning up was deemed acceptable.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 10:22:40 PM »

Totally agree, the Lambert years really put us here, gutted the club of its self respect and professionalism.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »
Moscow was when the club turned its back on its ethos and heritage. 

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »
It was all about Lerner and the money - too much initially was badly spent, then retrenchment was too high, then Lerner made a series of bad choices

I've got a lot of doubts about RDM. But when managers who've previously achieved good things are all awful, you have to think there are other factors. The regime has changed now, but the legacy of failure is going to take some getting over

Of course, it would help if the new spine we'd bought didn't depend on a 21 year old Italian keeper, a centre back and captain who just doesn't look very good, and a 32 year old midfielder who looks well past hit (and I never  thought he was that good when he was allegedly an inspiration).

If we do get a new manager, I think all three may be out of the side as soon as we can get someone else in.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
It was all about Lerner and the money - too much initially was badly spent, then retrenchment was too high, then Lerner made a series of bad choices

I've got a lot of doubts about RDM. But when managers who've previously achieved good things are all awful, you have to think there are other factors. The regime has changed now, but the legacy of failure is going to take some getting over

Of course, it would help if the new spine we'd bought didn't depend on a 21 year old Italian keeper, a centre back and captain who just doesn't look very good, and a 32 year old midfielder who looks well past hit (and I never  thought he was that good when he was allegedly an inspiration).

If we do get a new manager, I think all three may be out of the side as soon as we can get someone else in.

You make some good points there Matt.  We spent a fortune this summer, but yet again, have spent it badly.  We've got enough new players that the mental hang ups from previous years shouldn't really be a problem, but because of how badly RDM spent Xia's cash, we're now very rapidly creating a whole new losing ethos. 5th biggest spenders in English football, and yet we waste a massive chunk of it.  The midfield has been a (if not THE) problem area for years, and so we go for a completely unproven kid, and a 32 year old, slow, past it nobody.  I've been impressed by what I've seen from Tish so far, but we're still virtually guaranteeing that Westwood has to start, which is unbelievable.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 10:44:53 PM »
I started to realise last season that maybe I've seen my best Villa supporting years already. So basically there have been a few bright flashes since 1996 and the last twenty years have largely been a waste of time. I really, really, really hope this is not the case, but I've potentially got another forty years of this bollocks left. Today, I only realised we were playing at about five to three. If I can't be arsed during a kid-free, non-weekend-working period like I'm in now, Villa won't have too much attraction when I've got stuff in my life which actually needs attention.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 10:47:46 PM »
Since Houllier left our league record is, by my reckoning:

PL201 W41 D59 L101 F191 A328 GD-137 Pts 182

50% losing ratio in last 6 years. I shouldn't be surprised but just seeing the stats we've produced in black and white is incredible.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
I think our biggest problem is the set up. We're weak in centre-mid and that's what drives your team so even with our existing personnel if we put Tish, Westwood and Jedinak there we'd be better. Jedinak has been crap, but if all he had to do was worry about breaking up play and passing someone next to him he might be ok.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 10:51:30 PM »

Totally agree, the Lambert years really put us here, gutted the club of its self respect and professionalism.

Yes I see the Lambert reign as far more embarrassing than what Sherwood produced tbh and surprised people don't see it.

Under Sherwood it was chaotic but at least he was put out of his misery fairly quickly....Lambert reign just seemed to go on and on and on and on...

Under him we suffered record defeats...couldn't even score a goal for months on end and just generally reduced us to a non-entity at premier league level and even now in lower league football.

McLeish started the process, Lambert perfected the ineptitude.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 10:53:37 PM »
The most damning thing for me is how little since Houllier left have we even looked like we are improving, or even doing anything at BH. End of the first Lambert season and that brief spell under Sherwood. The rest of those 5+ years we've looked clueless and uncoached.

Offline mike

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 10:57:18 PM »

Yes I see the Lambert reign as far more embarrassing than what Sherwood produced tbh and surprised people don't see it.

Under Sherwood it was chaotic but at least he was put out of his misery fairly quickly....Lambert reign just seemed to go on and on and on and on...

Under him we suffered record defeats...couldn't even score a goal for months on end and just generally reduced us to a non-entity at premier league level and even now in lower league football.

McLeish started the process, Lambert perfected the ineptitude.

You seem to forget, McLeish was a great manager but we didn't give him a chance because of his previous job.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 10:57:23 PM »
Anyone put a figure on who much it's all come to since we signed Bent.

So many signings, 90% of whom have been mediocre or just woeful and we've struggled to get money back on so many of them.

What's worrying is it looks the same to me now...some players who looked o.k when we signed them but we're quickly seeing none of them are going to fire us to promotion so we will lose money on a few of them if we don't go up in next few years.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 11:07:40 PM »
It's been 5 years ie McLeish onwards that it's been truly wretched. I mean most clubs who have a bad season gradually recover from it or get relegated and find themselves a top dog so the fans actually see some wins.
We can't even ascend to the slightly higher rung of mediocrity.

There can't be a fanbase this side of the cosmos that's had to endure as embarrassingly inept a half decade's worth of games, 200 as per stat in post above, as us.
And here we are, on the first day of October, bringing over five thousand of our fans to a ground where the men who represent us' lack of communication, organisation and belief (never mind craft and guile) is laid bare at its most pathetic.
This is when the film ends with the protagonist finally being put out of his misery and a raven perched on a bit of aluminium on the Trinity Road stand takes an idle look at the Villa badge before flying across to Aston Hall where his family is waiting for worms.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
our biggest problem is given that the fact that we are literally a basket case who are we going to attract?
we are really in the shit

I think we are still a very attractive proposition for any ambitious manager. We are a club maintaining 30,000 home crowds in the Championship with an owner who has backed the current manager financially far more than we could ever have hoped. Any manager worth his salt would look at us now and think they could be the man to turn us round, especially with the squad of players we possess.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal