collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:10:09 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:03:36 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:59:44 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Clampy
[Today at 08:56:11 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:54:07 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Preston (A)  (Read 3510 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

Preston (A)
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
With us playing Preston for the first time in a million years tomorrow, my mind has gone back to the first game of the 1972-73 season and me being an excited nearly 15 year old going up to Deepdale, following our promotion the previous season.

I stood close to the half way line and my lasting memory is the vast number of Villa supporters behind the goal at the big end celebrating Willie Anderson's headed goal in the 87th minute to give us a 1-0 win.

Looking at the ground now on tv, it's unrecognizable from 44 years ago.

Anybody else make the trip up the M6 that day ?

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
Re: Preston (A)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »
I recall playing them at home on the first day the following season - Bobby Charltons first game as a manager. Never been to Deepdale but have driven past it. Looks a very generic stadium now.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
Yes mate, I was there, behind the goal. Went on the footy special from New Street. PNE was my second ever away game, two seasons earlier, just short of my 15th birthday. (Shrewsbury was my first). There was a running battle up and down the street, in the 70-1 PNE game. Bricks, stones, fence posts and all sorts of other stuff, being thrown. I didn't know what day it was!. When it was all over, I was walking down the street with my hands in my pockets, when some Preston twat came from nowhere, and twatted me full force with a fence post across the chest and arms. I thought he'd broke my arms, the arsehole!. It should have put me off away games forever, but somehow the whole adrenaline rush, got me hooked, and I'm still going away 46 years later.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »
Have we really not payed them in so long...not even in a cup tie?  I can't recall anything.

I only went there for a conference type thing a few years back and it's a nice enough ground.  They had the Museum of Football then which was a nice draw.  Shame it got moved to The Home of Football.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
We played them in the LC at VP in 2002. Won 5-0. I think that's the only game since 1974.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
I would have been there in 1972. Preston was also my first ever away game in 1967 when we played them in FAC3. Won 1-0.
Preston North End as a football club from the start have always been at Deepdale, so although the ground is now unrecognisable from the 60/70s the place is still absolutely drenched in history. 1888/89 Invincibles and all that was at Deepdale.

Although not on the scale of our old Trinity Road stand, when you talk iconic football stands you have to include this.

Offline steamer

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »
I went in 73/74 middle of Jan 0-0 draw.
Only 10,000 in the ground and very few Villa.
That season I did my penance and went to every game home and away, including a L.Cup night game  in York, we lost 1.0 in front of 7,000.
I missed the train connection home and slept in the railway station.
checking the fixture list I realize I missed the last game of the season away to Orient.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »
I went to Preston in 1970, when we were relegated from the old second division, and if I recall correctly it may have been our first game with Vic Crowe as manager.  It was also a game in which David Rudge broke his leg.  Plus my mum went with us, one of only three Villa games she ever went to.

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »
I went to Preston in 1970, when we were relegated from the old second division, and if I recall correctly it may have been our first game with Vic Crowe as manager.  It was also a game in which David Rudge broke his leg.  Plus my mum went with us, one of only three Villa games she ever went to.
I was there the day Rudge broke his leg, was Lew Chatterly playing and was a bit incensed at the tackle and showed his displeasure with tough tackling afterwards, I remember hearing the crack when his leg was broken. We got inta a bar bistro before & after the game they were not used to travelling football fans

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
That season I did my penance and went to every game home and away, including a L.Cup night game  in York, we lost 1.0 in front of 7,000.
checking the fixture list I realize I missed the last game of the season away to Orient.

That Orient game was the last match in charge for Vic Crowe. A night game carried over after the official end of the season. There were nearly 30,000 in Brisbane Road, Orient were a very good team and needed to beat us to overhaul Carlisle to get promoted. We had nothing to play for with the season having fizzled out into bottom half of the table obscurity. The previous Saturday we had surrendered at Carlisle in a generally apathetic display. Villa battled like their lives depended on it and got a 1-1 draw thanks to a Graydon penalty. Carlisle got promoted and five games into the next season were top of the League.   

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »

That Orient game was the last match in charge for Vic Crowe. A night game carried over after the official end of the season. There were nearly 30,000 in Brisbane Road, Orient were a very good team and needed to beat us to overhaul Carlisle to get promoted. We had nothing to play for with the season having fizzled out into bottom half of the table obscurity. The previous Saturday we had surrendered at Carlisle in a generally apathetic display. Villa battled like their lives depended on it and got a 1-1 draw thanks to a Graydon penalty. Carlisle got promoted and five games into the next season were top of the League.

I remember following that game on the radio, as you say our season had fizzled into mid table obscurity and we had nothing to play for.  I'm pretty sure that's the closest Orient or Leyton Orient have been to the big time in my 50 years of watching football.  It's a shame because as I remember that season had started promisingly.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
Was there when Wille Anderson scored the winner in a 1-0, 73 I think?

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »

The away game I meant was the first back in the second division (August 1972) 1972-73 season 1-0 Willie Anderson header !

We also beat them at home in the first game of the following season (73-74)  2-0 - I got my mum and dad to drop me off on the way home from a family holder in Weymouth - got in just before half time - but it was worth it !

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »

The away game I meant was the first back in the second division (August 1972) 1972-73 season 1-0 Willie Anderson header !

We also beat them at home in the first game of the following season (73-74)  2-0 - I got my mum and dad to drop me off on the way home from a family holder in Weymouth - got in just before half time - but it was worth it !

Was that the game where Harry Gregory knocked a copper's hat off at the Witton End after scoring?

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »

Was that the game where Harry Gregory knocked a copper's hat off at the Witton End after scoring?

No mate, that was at Villa Park in a 3-0 win over Swansea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal