collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ryder Cup 2016  (Read 8529 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Ryder Cup 2016
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
We need a Ryder Cup thread surely?

Love this tournament. Got a feeling that it's going to be very close and the amount of rookies in the Europe team might just count against them this time but here's hoping.

Offline Kingthing

Re: Ryder Cup 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »

I'm not really a golf fan but I absolutely love the Ryder Cup and the emotion of the occasion. Darren Clarke winning every game 3 months after his wife passed away, medinah and seeing Seve crying his eyes out when he was captain. Can't wait.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
Great to see McIllroy winning the FedEx. That's Willett, Stenson and Rory (winning the unofficial major the FedEx) that have won majors over there.  Has that sort of success happened before in the US prior to a Ryder Cup?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
Gonna miss the end as will be at the NFL. Shame as I love the Ryder Cup, despite not being much of a golf fanatic.

Anyway, EEEEEUUUUUU-ROPE!

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:17:57 PM »
Great to see McIllroy winning the FedEx. That's Willett, Stenson and Rory (winning the unofficial major the FedEx) that have won majors over there.  Has that sort of success happened before in the US prior to a Ryder Cup?

Good point. Although it doesn't always work out that in-form players play well. Two years ago Kaymer had won the US Open and the Players Championship (another one they call the fifth major) and Rory had picked up the PGA and the Open. Neither won a whole point on the Friday or Saturday. Although they both won their singles.

There is something about the intensity of it all that throws form out of the window. I love it.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
I don't like golf but will be watching this. I love the Ryder Cup.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:06:44 AM »
I will struggle to catch it because I refuse to pay for Sky, although I'm staying at a mates over the weekend for the Preston game so can watch some of it there and might pull a late one in the pub on Sunday.

I always see the Ryder Cup as a strike against the more boorish and garish elements of golf that comes from an element of the USA support and players. That bawling and shouting, extreme partisan approach and tribal rivalry that sometimes borders on the unpleasant(although I think it's just fine and dandy in football) has no place in a game like Golf where acting like a gentleman is still considered to be a core part of the game.

In a world of instant results, everything now, no patience sport, the pace of Golf enables the tension to build slowly creeping along to the final result with all the expected twists and turns along the way, similar to a five day Test Match in cricket. Provided it all comes to the boil without any side dominating, it has no equal as far as I am concerned. I can see the USA nicking this but it will be tight and it may be the team spirit of the Europeans that sees them over the line. The States biggest problem may be of their own doing; the presence of Tiger Woods.

And bestest of all? After the year we've had, cheering on a side playing under the European Flag!

Right remainers? *puts thumb up*

Offline LeeS

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:48 AM »
I will struggle to catch it because I refuse to pay for Sky, although I'm staying at a mates over the weekend for the Preston game so can watch some of it there and might pull a late one in the pub on Sunday.

I always see the Ryder Cup as a strike against the more boorish and garish elements of golf that comes from an element of the USA support and players. That bawling and shouting, extreme partisan approach and tribal rivalry that sometimes borders on the unpleasant(although I think it's just fine and dandy in football) has no place in a game like Golf where acting like a gentleman is still considered to be a core part of the game.

In a world of instant results, everything now, no patience sport, the pace of Golf enables the tension to build slowly creeping along to the final result with all the expected twists and turns along the way, similar to a five day Test Match in cricket. Provided it all comes to the boil without any side dominating, it has no equal as far as I am concerned. I can see the USA nicking this but it will be tight and it may be the team spirit of the Europeans that sees them over the line. The States biggest problem may be of their own doing; the presence of Tiger Woods.

And bestest of all? After the year we've had, cheering on a side playing under the European Flag!

One option, Nev, is to pay for a 24 hour pass from Now TV. They cost £7. You could do that for just the Sunday singles. Or a week's pass is £11. I'm just going to do the Sunday and listen to 5Live for the earlier matches.

Online ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »
Only feels like 5 minutes since the last one. I see that we have won 6 of the last 7 Ryder Cups; EUR-ROOOPPPPEEEEE.

Not that worried about golf, but the Ryder Cup is exciting.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »

One option, Nev, is to pay for a 24 hour pass from Now TV. They cost £7. You could do that for just the Sunday singles. Or a week's pass is £11. I'm just going to do the Sunday and listen to 5Live for the earlier matches.

Don't you need a box or widget or somesuch?

I'm with Virgin Cable and don't have a terrestrial aerial.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
The Yanks have some extra motivation thanks to this tit.

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »
The Yanks have some extra motivation thanks to this tit.
Apparently a teacher...cannot see the LEA being to pleased...

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »
Danny Willett's brother Peter wrote that American golf fans were a "baying mob of imbeciles"

Can't see a lot wrong with that.

Offline LeeS

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »

Don't you need a box or widget or somesuch?

I'm with Virgin Cable and don't have a terrestrial aerial.

No, just the internet. If you have a tablet there's an app. If not just watch on the Now.TV website from your laptop/desktop. Get an HDMI cable and you've got it on your telly box. 

Now TV also shows Game of Thrones and many other great shows via Sky Atlantic. Subscription to that channel is £6 per month and well worth every penny. No contract either so just cancel when your chosen show finishes. Obviously they rely on you forgetting to cancel, which is exactly what I've done...

Online ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 09:21:52 PM »
Have TiVo and the Ryder Cup is on Sky Mix, channel 517

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal