collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New signings poll: It's far too early to tell so...  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Ivo Stas

New signings poll: It's far too early to tell so...
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
...let's decide which of this summer signings is going to turn out the best (transfer fee taken into consideration).

For what it's worth, here is my ill-informed opinion (based on having seen every game except Bristol City away):

Albert Adomah - in his cameo against Ipswich, didn't look particularly like an upgrade on Andre Green.
James Chester - our best defender? Don't notice him much which is probably a sign that he isn't having to make recovery challenges, etc.
Ritchie De Laet - looked like an upgrade defensively on Bacuna/Hutton, was still deciding about his crossing ability.
Tommy Elphick - perhaps not the next Shaun Teale (man of steel) but good at this level.
Pierluigi Gollini - I have a bit of a Bosnich-feeling about him but probably I'm just projecting my hopes on him. I'm thinking of the Villa Bosnich, not the Chelsea version.
Mile Jedinak - I'm stunned that we gave Palace £4 million for someone they probably wanted off their wage bill. Not that I dislike him but I can't say I particularly rated him before he signed. He does add height to our midfield. With all our defensive midfielder signings, I ask myself "are they really any better than Sylla was?". And I didn't particularly rate Sylla but we haven't half wasted a lot of money replacing him with Sanchez, Gueye and now Jedinak.
Jonathan Kodjia - if my striker is going to have an anonymous game, I want him heading a certain goal off his own goal-line in injury time. Has scored one goal and saved one goal in two games and earned us two points.
Ross McCormack - no pace, no dribbling skills, no aerial prowess, but my vote for our best signing because I think he has the most natural ability. There are not many current Villa players who could feel certain to get picked each week but he'd be the first name on my team-sheet.
Aaron Tshibola - hopefully the answer to our midfield woes, seen some good and bad from him so far but a definite prospect.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: New signings poll: It's far too early to tell so...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »
McCormack for me too, intelligent team player, scores and assists.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
McCormack as well. I like the fact that he is completely prolific due to a skill set that wont diminish as fast as others. peope may be concerned its alot to pay for a 30yo but I would hope he will still be a big contributor late into his 30s

Offline Diablo

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:51:15 PM »
Early days but I've been most impressed with Jonathan Kodjia - hopefully we'll play him in the centre rather than out wide and we'll get/see the best out of him.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »
Kodjia looks a good player, him and McCormack up top for me, I think they could strike up a real partnership.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:10:03 PM »

some of those transfer fees look WAY off what we paid

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
Yeah we haven't spent £60.5m

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »
Kodjia looks a good player, him and McCormack up top for me, I think they could strike up a real partnership.

Speaking of whom...
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/22/jonathan-kodjia-ivory-coast-new-didier-drogba-aston-villa

Offline Taylor

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
I've voted Gollini simply because Guzan cost us so many points last season. Fingers crossed, but since Huddesfield Gollini looks solid.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 07:27:16 PM »
Great interview with Codger, that. Now go and get the winner on Saturday, big man.

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 08:49:15 PM »

Speaking of whom...
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/22/jonathan-kodjia-ivory-coast-new-didier-drogba-aston-villa

Good article... We need him to start banging them in...!

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 09:12:39 PM »

Speaking of whom...

Good article... We need him to start banging them in...!

Interesting quote considering last year

it really is full-on here for 90 minutes and not every player coming from France can cope.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 09:15:10 PM »
Nice to read a feel good piece Villa related, even if it's a tad on the fluffy side Kodjia's a good story though. Probably worked twice as hard to get here in the end and probably actually enjoys playing football. Compared to the many who get their first big contract just out of their teens, then turn into a twatty wannabe rockstar with poor taste in everything and a wanker hairdo.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
McCormack, potentially. For too long we've missed that bit of ingenuity in attack. Here's someone who can shoot, assist, pick intelligent passes, take dangerous positions and other things I've forgotten that strikers can sometimes do.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:12 AM »
Gutted for Ritchie De Laet getting injured.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal