collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Vacancy at Villa: Youth Team manager/Head of Coaching  (Read 4594 times)

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Vacancy at Villa: Youth Team manager/Head of Coaching
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
Davis and Whittingham are both over 30 so not really valid either, going with the 10 year rule.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
Bit surprised that there is no mention of language skills.  There will be an increasing number of admissions to our academy whose first language is not English.

Most of our European neighbours have a good grasp of English. I'll admit that the lads in South America tend not to speak anything other than their native tongue, but we don't see a wild amount of those. My Spanish friends tell me that they find South American spanish difficult to understand at times too.

Give me South American Spanish every day of the week, it's far easier to understand than Castillian, which sounds more like somebody struggling to speak with a mouthful of dental tools in their mouth whilst spitting all over you. Not easy or pleasant.

Based on recent experiences here whilst helping out at a music festival where about 50% of the young audience were visiting Europeans, I'd say the Scandinavians, Danish and Dutch are pretty much fluent in English. The Germans and French were also very good but there was always one or two in a group of say 8-10 that didn't speak a word. The Spanish had a few that were extremely good but almost all really struggle but by far the worst were the Italians, which is strange as they really are a nation of travelers.

The Portuguese are the real show-offs, almost all speak English well, more than decent Spanish, get by with some French and a bit of Italian. How much is down to education, the Latin languages or not having films dubbed I can't say but would imagine a combination of the three.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:13:39 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »
As far as I can see this is the list of players we've brought through in the last 10 years who have ended up making 40+ league appearances for us

Nathan Baker
Ciaran Clark
Marc Albrighton
Barry Bannan
Andy Weimann

That quite honestly is shit.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 06:28:03 PM »
Davis and Whittingham are both over 30 so not really valid either, going with the 10 year rule.

Yes they both played under O'Deary so more than 10 years since they broke through.  Never really rated either of them but Davis has looked decent enough for Southampton the last few years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal