collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Midfield  (Read 21013 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: The Midfield
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »
On grealish's role again - the player I think he's most similar to is lallana. I've thought that for a while.

I note that lallana is playing in a midfield three this season, not as a ten but on the side. So maybe he can do it.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 10:34:14 AM »
In the midfield three bigness and athleticism is less important as there's enough of you to close down the space - providing that you work hard off the ball. If Jack does more of that it could well come off to play him in the middle.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
I believe the key to sorting our problems is getting the midfield right.  It is the engine room of the team and controls the game. You win the battle there and you dominate, lose it and your defence comes under pressure.

I have not seen anything in the opposition this season to warrant two defensive midfield players.  If we are going to finish in the top 6, we have to take the game to the opposition.  For this, we have to play 3 balanced players in the middle.  We have to spread our players over more of the pitch.  Too many times we look to have players tripping over their own players because we have similar players getting into the same positions.  This is why I favour 3 in the middle.

Of the players we have, Jedinek should be the defensive controlling player, Tshbola the runner when he is fit and that leaves the creativity.  I think we should have kept Veretout as he was the only player in my mind that fitted this role. The alternative is to try and convert Grealish to play this position. He has the intelligence to play there, he needs the confidence to do it.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
That is a very wise post OMVF.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »
I believe the key to sorting our problems is getting the midfield right.  It is the engine room of the team and controls the game. You win the battle there and you dominate, lose it and your defence comes under pressure.

I have not seen anything in the opposition this season to warrant two defensive midfield players.  If we are going to finish in the top 6, we have to take the game to the opposition.  For this, we have to play 3 balanced players in the middle.  We have to spread our players over more of the pitch.  Too many times we look to have players tripping over their own players because we have similar players getting into the same positions.  This is why I favour 3 in the middle.

Of the players we have, Jedinek should be the defensive controlling player, Tshbola the runner when he is fit and that leaves the creativity.  I think we should have kept Veretout as he was the only player in my mind that fitted this role. The alternative is to try and convert Grealish to play this position. He has the intelligence to play there, he needs the confidence to do it.
Jack, or Mccormack perhaps?

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »
The sooner we jettison the clownshoes that is Ashley Westwood, the better off we'll be. He gets more atrocious by the game.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »
If a nuclear bomb exploded outside Villa Park, Ashley Westwood would be the only one to survive it.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »
I think we dominated against forest no?

No

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »

No

We didn't? Wasn't it 26 shots to 2 or something mental like that?

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 10:50:05 PM »

No

We didn't? Wasn't it 26 shots to 2 or something mental like that?

We conceded 2 terrible goals. The second was as a result of 1 player running through

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2016, 10:50:50 PM »
It's not just about going forward

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 10:55:33 PM »
It's also what you do when you don't have the ball

Online tomd2103

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2016, 11:15:55 PM »

Would agree with this, but not sure we have the personnel to have the balance you mention.  Jedinak and Tshibola (if and when fit) are fine, but we are missing that third option.  Ideally, it would be another athletic player like Tshibola, which would mean we could have two players in there who could really press teams and a defensive player shoring up things behind. 

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »
It's also what you do when you don't have the ball

Of course it is. But in most people's estimations when we dominate possession and shots like we did the conclusion would be that we dominated the game irrespective of the final outcome.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2016, 06:27:03 AM »
I stated in the post match thread, that I think one of our main problems is movement of the ball quickly and with purpose, Jedinak, Westwood, Gardner are not going to give you that, Tish we will have to wait and see, Grealish to me ponders on the ball too much and always seems to want a further touch.
Yesterday and I never ever thought I would say this, but how we were lined up, I thought Bacuna was probably one of our better midfield players, he played with purpose, tracked back well and for a change did not give the ball away to often, but as we know is always likely to cock up when you least need him to.
Jedinak as the anchor, Grealish at the top of what I would play as a diamond 4, with Tish and either Bacuna or Adomah left and right, playing to Kodja and McCormack, I think Ayew is a luxury at this level and effects the balance of the team if we are to try and play from the midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal