collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Midfield  (Read 21040 times)

Offline tomd2103

The Midfield
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:38:12 PM »
... has been a weak area since Barry and Milner left, and Petrov was the last player with any real leadership or nous in there.  Since then there has been very little creativity or defensive solidity in our midfield and apart from a brief spell at the end of Lambert's first season and a brief spell in Sherwood's first season, there has been no real fluency at all in that area of the team. 

I just can't see how we expect to win games when we are constantly overrun and outplayed in probably the most important area of the pitch.  Last night was another example where the midfield gradually disappeared up to the point where there was hardly any resistance and Brentford were able to gain real momentum.  I honestly cannot see how Ashley Westwood constantly makes the starting XI as he looks just as poor in the Championship as he did for the majority of his time in the top flight.  I honestly don't know if we will be able to move on if he stays in the side.  Early days on the others, but Jedinak looks like he would be better as a defensive midfielder in a three, Tshibola looks promising but his injury record is a concern and Gardner doesn't look good enough.  I do think we need to change to a three, but I just don't think we've currently got the options.

Offline KRS

Re: The Midfield
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 11:41:22 PM »
What midfield?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 11:45:03 PM »
Yeah good thread Tom although point was raised a few weeks back and I think it was mentioned then how we appoint good midfielders as managers (Lambert, Sherwood and RDM) and yet none of them actually attempt to solve the issue.

I'd personally go back to playing 3 in there...I don't like the two sitting as everyone else just wants to attack infront so we're frequently overrun.

Another problem is Jedinak and one of Westwood/Gardner is very one paced. We really need Tshibola fit as in his brief showings he at least has a bit of energy about him.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:10:27 AM »
I thought Jedinak looked decent on Wednesday, at least for the first 70 minutes or so, but Westwood was just so anonymous. Ayew provides the only drive we have through the middle.

i would happily take a 35 year old Osman on a free to bolster numbers at least.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
For me, it has to be a three.
We have started the last couple of games with a very attacking line-up and been caught out. With he pace that we can call upon up front, I'd definitely have a MF three, probably of Jedi, Tshibola and Westwood - with Kodjia, Ayew and McCormack ahead of them

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
The best midfielder at the club left last week

Offline Singapore Villa

• GM : 09.06.2019
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »
This should be a short thread given that we don't have one....

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
Stuff on brim mail / Twitter about this. Apparently RDM considering grealish as a number 8. I can't see him doing that in a 2 man midfield surely??! But in a three - could be good. Adomah / kodjia / ayew as a proper front three allowed to stay up the pitch with sufficient protection behind them could be really dangerous

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
                            Gollini
Bacuna.        Elphick.       Chester.     Sissikho
                      Tshibola.  Jedinak
                             Grealish
Ayew.                      Kodjia.               Adomah

Like this?  As long as the wider players, Tshibola and Jedinak work their nuts off and never get injured, this might just work. There is no real backup to this side, that is also a concern as Westwood and Gardner aren't gonna win a physical battle.  Baker, Gestede, Steer, Amavi, McCormack and Westwood and Gardner for subs?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:58:50 PM by Newby »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »
I'd have thought so - I'd think he's better in that sort of position rather than shuttling back and forth in a flatter three

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »
just like to add , Delph was our last quality midfielder.

is there any one from the youth that could do a job?

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
Newby
Your right Westwood and Gardner aren't going to win a physical battle but from what I seen of Lyden I reckon he would. He seems to have that mentality that if it moves kick it something that the two you mentioned don't have.
Still don't know what rdm sees in Westwood

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »
Lyden doesn't seem anywhere near RDM's thinking so far. I've not seen him anywhere near enough to suggest he could do a job

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 08:48:24 PM »
Stuff on brim mail / Twitter about this. Apparently RDM considering grealish as a number 8. I can't see him doing that in a 2 man midfield surely??! But in a three - could be good. Adomah / kodjia / ayew as a proper front three allowed to stay up the pitch with sufficient protection behind them could be really dangerous

Think Grealish would be used in a three like below:

Jedinak

Tshibola              Grealish

The fact that is even being considered shows just how few options we have in midfield.  I keep hoping for us to come out and really dominate games, but if we don't gain the upper hand in midfield, I don't think we will.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 09:22:31 PM »
I think we dominated against forest no?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal