collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dr T has pulled the trigger  (Read 108726 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: If Dr T Pulls the Trigger...
« Reply #945 on: October 01, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
it's already abysmal. Looking forward to today though

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #946 on: October 01, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
When RDM gets the boot - be it sooner of later - I'd go for a replacement who's been discreetly 'sounded out' as to whether or not they actually want the job. The thought of making an approach for a specific manager which ends in a decisive rebuke makes me cringe -  since subsequent candidates will realise that they are essentially down the proverbial pecking order. As much as I loath & detest all things connected to the Sty dwellers, my feeling is that Gary Rowett would be an excellent choice for us and he's a man who, I believe, is very getable.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #947 on: October 01, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
When RDM gets the boot - be it sooner of later - I'd go for a replacement who's been discreetly 'sounded out' as to whether or not they actually want the job. The thought of making an approach for a specific manager which ends in a decisive rebuke makes me cringe -  since subsequent candidates will realise that they are essentially down the proverbial pecking order. As much as I loath & detest all things connected to the Sty dwellers, my feeling is that Gary Rowett would be an excellent choice for us and he's a man who, I believe, is very getable.

Agree with this it is really annoying when managers turn us down (I'm still annoyed at Warnock for deciding to stay at Notts County when we approached him).

Also agree Rowett would be both a good choice and getable.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #948 on: October 01, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

seconded

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #949 on: October 01, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »

Agree with this it is really annoying when managers turn us down (I'm still annoyed at Warnock for deciding to stay at Notts County when we approached him).

Also agree Rowett would be both a good choice and getable.

erm No.

I wasn't against Alex Mcleish when he became Villa manager, and I felt sorry for him, with all the shit he got from everywhere, So although Rowett is getting that lot some lime light, I have to say no because "we" do have some supporters that just wont give the bloke a chance, and when the momentum party swings into action all kinds of shit goes down.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #950 on: October 01, 2016, 11:39:01 AM »
I was against McLeish because he was shit and just got relegated playing shit football. If he had done well the fans would have loved him.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #951 on: October 01, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
I agree with you auntie, we can trace a lot of our downfall to the late unlamented Randy Lerner becoming frustrated by being knocked back by successive potential managers and jumping in his jet to Corsica to bring back Alex McLeish.  That was the very beginning of our policy of reduced expectations.  And it had nothing to do with Small Heath, he was a piss poor, dull as ditchwater, thick as a brick football manager.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #952 on: October 01, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
he was as dull as ditchwater manager but the fact he came from them did not help among a lot of our fans, maybe not so many on this site but amongst Villa fans as a whole it was an issue

the fact Mcliesh had been there a while had won promotion and delivered their first trophy in a age meant he was seen as a blue nose manager, but I suppose that's the reason Randy saw fit to go and get him in the first place

However Rowett it a different matter, he's not been there all  that long and he is a Villa fan, it would inevitably be seen as a wrong move by some because of where he is coming from but I don't think it would be anything like as negative

The biggest difference between the two is Mcliesh was always a manager who's teams did not inspire good football and were a punishment to watch, much the same as we have been for years now,
Rowett at least is not seen as that sort of manager 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:30:59 PM by john e »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #953 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »

Who would want to manage a club where it's fans want you out after less than a dozen games?

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #954 on: October 01, 2016, 12:51:25 PM »
I was against McLeish because he was shit and just got relegated playing shit football. If he had done well the fans would have loved him.

Indeed. Success on the pitch nearly always gets the doubters & haters onside fairly sharply. Give me a winning incumbent from our despised rivals rather than an uncontroversial loser any day.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #955 on: October 01, 2016, 12:55:13 PM »

Who would want to manage a club where it's fans want you out after less than a dozen games?

Maybe a person who has the required skill & belief in their own abilities: who recognises that success on the park will placate the doubters?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #956 on: October 01, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
yes, fans only want a manager out after a dozen games because they are shite and show no sign of being able to rectify mistakes. IMHO I don't think RDM gets Villa, people like Rowlett and Dean Smith so.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #957 on: October 01, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »
er, Rowlett and Smith do!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #958 on: October 01, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
As many very respected posters on this forum pointed out at the time, if Alex McLeish had come to us and done well, all but a very, very small minority of Villa fans would have been overjoyed to have pinched him from Small Heath.  We would never have let them forget it.  But he did not.  He came and he put in motion the slide we are paying for to this very day.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #959 on: October 01, 2016, 01:27:53 PM »
er, Rowlett and Smith do!

Would that be Gerry Rowlett: the little-known, dyslexic, Gary Rowett impersonator? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal