collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Plotting our escape.....  (Read 8738 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Plotting our escape.....
« on: September 12, 2016, 01:03:39 PM »
There is a lot of talk across threads about how we are doing, and where we need to be for promotion etc, so a bit like the escape from relegation threads, this is one to discuss where we are and how woefully hopeless our plight is, and where we need to be etc to get out.

So 6 games in, 6 points. Clearly better than every side we have played for large periods, but defensively frail and missing chances like we are throwing penny sweets around. But where do we need to be?

To get automatic we now, IMO, need around 85 points from 40 games. Still not out of the question if we can win 4-5 in a row soonish.

To get play offs, probably around 70 points from 40 games ish from here. Pretty achievable still I would think.

So where do we need to be in the next few weeks? For me, we need to get up to the 20 point mark after the next 7 games, so 13/14 points from our next 7. Looking at the fixtures, Brentford, Ipswich, Newcastle, Barnsley, Preston, Wolves, Reading. If we play to our potential there are 4 wins and a draw minimum there I reckon.

Over to you, where will we be after the next 7?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Plotting our escape.....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
From the next 7, we need to remain unbeaten, including beating the likes of Newcastle.  I'll go for four wins and three draws, the draws being against Wolves at home, Ipswich away and Reading away.

That would give us 21 points from 13 games, which will be decent but still not setting the place alight.  It demonstrates that even over a 46 game season, you just cannot afford to be left behind and our start in the context of being in the mix for promotion by whatever means has been very poor.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Brentford - Win 3-1
Ipswich - Draw 1-1
Newcastle - Lose 1-2
Barnsley - Draw 1-1
Preston - Win 2-1
Wolves - Win 2-1
Reading - Win 1-0

20pts after 13 games

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »
There is nothing to suggest that this squad has the depth, defensive ability or tactical awareness to get the points needed.
Our injury record has been awful and continues and we are picking up bookings.
Consistency is important for successfull teams and for the reasons above we don't look like we have this.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
All I know is that someone in the next 7 games is going to get whacked - we can't keep hitting the woodwork and not every keeper is going to have the game of their life against us. We still have more than a Premier League season of games to go I'm not concerned that we're a few off the pace at this stage. 16 points out the next 21 available only game I can't see us winning is Newcastle and I've allowed for a shit team fluking a point like yesterday.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
I see
Brentford - Win
Ipswich - Win
Newcastle - Loss
Barnsley -Win
Preston -Win
Wolves -Draw
Reading Win

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »
so double the wins in the next two months than in the previous 13 months or so?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »
so double the wins in the next two months than in the previous 13 months or so?

The previous 13 months aren't relevant. As I said on another thread, we might have been failing to win but it's completely different to last year. Last year we were getting hammered and outplayed week in, week out. This year we have been dominating for a half and then falling away, until yesterday when we dominated pretty much the entire game and got mugged. If we continue on this path we'll win lots of games.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »
I see going unbeaten Brentford draw Ipswich draw Newcastle win Barnsley win Preston win Wolves draw Reading win we are building momentum

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
I dont think we'll lose for a fair few games but I can't see us winning many either.

Brentford - Win
Ipswich - Draw
Newcastle - Draw
Barnsley -Draw
Preston -Win
Wolves -Draw
Reading Draw

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »
We're too sexy in attack to be draw merchants. That should be reserved for years when we're dull as ditchwater, i.e Gregory's last full, O'Neill's first, O'Dreary's  middle etc.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
I think once we get a couple of wins under our belt, we'll be fine. 6 games in. I've seen enough to make me fairly optimistic we can up there come the end of the season.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
I'm usually pretty negative but I've seen enough to think our unbeaten run started on Sunday. I don't see us losing any of the next 7 games. The only question is how many can we win. I actually think the hardest fixture there is Ipswich away. I'm pretty confident we'll beat Newcastle

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 06:06:29 PM »
I think once we get a couple of wins under our belt, we'll be fine. 6 games in. I've seen enough to make me fairly optimistic we can up there come the end of the season.

Same here. Transfer wise I think we should have re-enforced more the midfield. It's our weakest area. We have more forwards than we need and tactically we need to find a winning formula. 4-2-4 is not the solution.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 06:26:39 PM »

Same here. Transfer wise I think we should have re-enforced more the midfield. It's our weakest area. We have more forwards than we need and tactically we need to find a winning formula. 4-2-4 is not the solution.

I suspect losing Gana was an unforeseen blow and one they couldn't fix in the time left

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal