collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sid Cowans leaves Villa  (Read 18423 times)

Offline trevor fisher

Re: Sid Cowans leaves Villa
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »
There should now be a special DVD of Gordon's great moments published by the Villa. For those who never saw him, this was a midfield player who never got the recognition he deserved. As David Platt said when asked what his ambition was, he replied "I want to make a run that Gordon Cowans does not see". The facts speak for themselves. Four years without missing a single game, and we won the League, the European Cup and the Super Cup. Great team, but in the engine room was Gordon, truly the gopher. Nothing ever escaped him.

But more than that, a true gentleman like Peter MacParland. To meet him is to meet a genuine person whose modesty is not false. He simply gets on with things and never puts himself forward. It is time that the club takes the effort to remind us what a wonderful player he was with a DVD of the great moments of a great playing career.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
Acc to Murphy,

Gordon Cowans' departure from @AVFCOfficial has nothing to do with Steve Round's arrival. Gordon is relaxed about going - 58 next birthday.

Offline Pete

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »
was fortunate enough to meet him twice (once in a pub on the Chester Road in Streetly (name just fails me at the moment)

It would be the Parson and Clerk, Buccaneer or Hardwick Arms. I think he lived in Streetly, I saw him in the video shop once. I was too overawed to do anything but nod and smile.

Sid was a world class player, but there are few beyond us who know it. I agree with Cannock Villa above:

The word 'Legend' is used far too often, but Gordon Cowans, you are an Aston Villa LEGEND

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
Great player and always comes across as an approachable, humble bloke, happy to pose for photos in the pub after a game.

Good luck to him in his retirement.

Has anyone seen much of his son playing? Be nice if we could have a Cowans about the club for a few years yet!

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
was fortunate enough to meet him twice (once in a pub on the Chester Road in Streetly (name just fails me at the moment)

It would be the Parson and Clerk, Buccaneer or Hardwick Arms. I think he lived in Streetly, I saw him in the video shop once. I was too overawed to do anything but nod and smile.

Sid was a world class player, but there are few beyond us who know it. I agree with Cannock Villa above:

The word 'Legend' is used far too often, but Gordon Cowans, you are an Aston Villa LEGEND

Thanks Pete - that's it - it was The Buccaneer - and for anyone that remembers as far back as December 1978 it was at the start of that very harsh winter when there was deep snow on the ground and sub zero temperatures for the best part of 8-9 weeks.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:25 PM »
Thanks Sid. So many cherished memories from our golden period.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:38 PM »
Legend, pure and simple. Fantastic servant to our club. I was lucky enough to see him play. Would of won more caps if he had played for a London team, I personally thought he was head and shoulders above Glenda Hoddle, he could pass, score goals AND tackle, but didn't play down south. Thanks Sid. UTV

He looked class in his first nine England games, then suffered a horrible leg-break. I think it was that that curtailed his international career. He was reall beginning to establish himself and looking better than Hoddle, Robson et al.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
One of favourite ever players in a Villa Shirt. For my 30th I was treated to Lunch at VP and Seats in the North Stand along with a couple of old school friends - one being a certain Billy Walker from this parish. It was 2001 and we beat Bolton 3-1 with Ricketts scoring for them and I think JPA scored for us. At half time I went off to the bar and to put a bet on and at the Bookies was Sid with a friend. He was a friendly bloke and always seemed to have the time of day and wished us all happy birthday as we re-took our seats.

I do hope he has left on good terms and enjoys his well earned retirement.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Along with Paul McGrath, the best footballer I have ever seen in the flesh be they Villa or the opposition.  I'd love the Club to give him an Ambassadorial role along with the other European Cup winners (should he/they want such roles, of course). A class act in every single sense.

And McGrath says that -apart from Bryan Robson- our Sid is the best player he's ever played alongside.

Which considering he played with the likes of Brady, Whelan, Whiteside, Keane and co gives you some idea of his quality.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
Great player and always comes across as an approachable, humble bloke, happy to pose for photos in the pub after a game.

Good luck to him in his retirement.

Has anyone seen much of his son playing? Be nice if we could have a Cowans about the club for a few years yet!

Wasn't he loaned out to Stevenage this window?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »
Wikipedia says yes! Hadn't noticed that. Hopefully he'll do well.

Online nordenvillain

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:44 PM »
I remember he played in the Blackburn midfield in 1993 and was the reason they beat us that night. BFR bought him back for his 3rd spell.  A genuine legend and a genuine fan of the club. Wish him all the best for the futre. He deserves it.

Interesting suggestion. I was working a couple of weeks ago with a guy who played after leaving school for the Albion and then moved to Sunderland where he played for 3 -4 seasons. To this day, he still receives a season ticket every season from Sunderland despite him living in Scotland. Does anyone know if we do the same for ex players ?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
Thanks for everything you have done for the club Sid, as a player as a coach and an ambassador for the club.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »
Cowans inherited the "tiny but talented scrap of a player who tackled without a shred of fear" mantle from Alex Cropley. He exemplified what could be done when you allied ability with attitude. Take note young Grealish.

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
I've watched him play at all levels for the Villa. A true legend; a true professional and a true gentleman. Happy retirement Sid.

Gosh! I feel my past slipping away.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal