collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sid Cowans leaves Villa  (Read 18425 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Sid Cowans leaves Villa
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
Good luck Sid, my favourite ever Villa player and one of the most graceful footballers I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Before we start having a pop at the club about his departure, maybe he'd just had enough. It can't have been easy working at the club during the last few years.

No, and he might not be what the new management team are looking for. It appears from his short interview that things ended amicably enough or at least that's he wants to go out. But what we don't know is how good a coach he was despite us all knowing how wonderful a player he was.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 01:10:39 PM »
My favourite all time Villa player, even named my dog after him SID!
And I named my rabbit (RIP) after him. (Also Sid, Gordon would be a ridiculous name for a rabbit).

You should have had a pet Gopher instead

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »
I just hope there is a seat reserved for him at VP - best midfield player I ever saw in the Villa shirt - truly fantastic

Offline Fred

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 01:21:16 PM »
I remember he played in the Blackburn midfield in 1993 and was the reason they beat us that night. BFR bought him back for his 3rd spell.  A genuine legend and a genuine fan of the club. Wish him all the best for the futre. He deserves it.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »
The good doctor tweeted that he doesn't know about this but trusts Keith. I hope he has been well looked after. He's 57, a bit early to retire happily.

he's been in football for over 40 years... most people are happy to retire after 40 years!

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
Legend, pure and simple. Fantastic servant to our club. I was lucky enough to see him play. Would of won more caps if he had played for a London team, I personally thought he was head and shoulders above Glenda Hoddle, he could pass, score goals AND tackle, but didn't play down south. Thanks Sid. UTV

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 01:44:14 PM »
By 1982, Sid was my favourite player, along with Zico. Slight but tough, with an eye for a defence splitting pass like no other Villa player I've ever seen. Criminally overlooked nationally, but then that's always the way with this country and the midlands. 

Wish him well.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »
Fantastic player, vastly underrated outside Villa Park, I sincerely hope it was amicable as Sid has been a great servant and inspiration to so many. See you down the Jockey even more now!All the best and thanks for some great memories

Offline cdward

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
One of my all time favourites.
Signed for Villa 3 times in his career.
Remember him scoring this great free kick at that classic at Everton, SGTs last game.
I hope he enjoys his time now as a supporter, and look forward to seeing him at VP for years to come.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
One of the few who truly deserve the title of professional footballer. My memory is not as good as it used to be but I can never remember Sid bad mouthing any club, colleague or rival, feigning injury, moaning about managers or his treatment by whichever club he represented. He kept himself fit, never partied late or was involved in any lurid headline. Even now he is showing more dignity and respect than the bunch of wasters who have dragged the club downwards. As a player, for me, he had no equal as a midfielder, with the ability to strike the ball with either foot, tackle and recover and never attempt to get an opposing player booked or sent off. His deadball technique was superb and his vision was without comparison- Platt was asked what ambition he had and his reply sums up the majesty of Gordon 'Sid' Cowans. 'My ambition is to make a run that Gordon Cowans doesn't spot'.

Good Luck Sid

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
One of the few who truly deserve the title of professional footballer. My memory is not as good as it used to be but I can never remember Sid bad mouthing any club, colleague or rival, feigning injury, moaning about managers or his treatment by whichever club he represented. He kept himself fit, never partied late or was involved in any lurid headline. Even now he is showing more dignity and respect than the bunch of wasters who have dragged the club downwards. As a player, for me, he had no equal as a midfielder, with the ability to strike the ball with either foot, tackle and recover and never attempt to get an opposing player booked or sent off. His deadball technique was superb and his vision was without comparison- Platt was asked what ambition he had and his reply sums up the majesty of Gordon 'Sid' Cowans. 'My ambition is to make a run that Gordon Cowans doesn't spot'.

Good Luck Sid
This...Absolutely

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
My favourite all time Villa player, even named my dog after him SID!
Mine is mostly called Sit

Offline serbentoflight

• The Serpent Of Light
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
Bye Sid...Thanks for the last 30+ years.   And Good Luck. 

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:39 PM »
Can never choose between him and Andy Gray as my favourite all time Villa player - as has been said before - true Villa legend and a really nice chap - was fortunate enough to meet him twice (once in a pub on the Chester Road in Streetly (name just fails me at the moment) in 1978 and I also met him at a function for Dennis Mortimer in 1985 - lovely person to talk to.  Hope we'll see him regularly as a supporter from now on. 

All the very best Sid and thanks.

I reckon the pub was the Buccaneer - my barber from the Scott Arms used to drink in there and had a few anecdotes he got from Sid, wo was a weekend regular.

A wonderful player, who combined skill and graft, two qualities not always present in players.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
Along with Paul McGrath, the best footballer I have ever seen in the flesh be they Villa or the opposition.  I'd love the Club to give him an Ambassadorial role along with the other European Cup winners (should he/they want such roles, of course). A class act in every single sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal