collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: This Summer's Window (Poll Included)  (Read 7656 times)

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: This Summer's Window (Poll Included)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
I'm delighted with it.  I'd have certainly taken it on the last day of the season.

I'm surprised we didn't buy another central midfielder but perhaps when the team gels, players like Gardner and Westwood will look more comfortable.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
I'm happy. After renewing my season ticket in the afterglow of Rotherham, I then started to feel I'd been a bit impulsive after we were rolled over in the West Country, but the business has been incisive, directed and bold, even though some of the players are not exactly household names. But as Bristol City showed, the important thing is to get a team playing as a team, no matter who you have playing. Dr Tony has done his bit. Now it's over to RDM and SC to meld and mould and get them playing together. I'm fairly optimistic and looking forward to Forest. But as someone said, it won't be easy as there's a fair amount of fire power in some of our opposition and we're already 8 points off top.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »
Happy, only doubt I have is signing an inexperienced, foreign keeper (not sure how good his English is?) when I feel that we needed another old, steady head back there.

He's fluent in English.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »
I'm a little anxious about the quality for the prices we have paid.  We look like we have a decent Championship team, but think promotion will still be touch and go.  Quality wise I was all for a bit of experience, but would have liked a bit more flair and longer term value too at those prices.  But fair play to Tony and now it's time for RDM to deliver. 

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
I'm delighted with it.  I'd have certainly taken it on the last day of the season.

I'm surprised we didn't buy another central midfielder but perhaps when the team gels, players like Gardner and Westwood will look more comfortable.

I agree,  maybe in a 3 they would

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »
I'm delighted really given the disaster that was to what it is today. I voted happy because I am being a bit greedy and we could do with more cover at CB and CM. Gabby and Richards are still here also. But realistically combined with the takeover, the manager and coaching staff, now the technical director being appointed it's been an incredible summer. We just need to find the chemistry between the players and start climbing the table. There is more than enough talent and proper leadership to do that now.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »
Fairly pleased with the recruitment but until results change and we actually start winning games I'll remain a little bit nervous. I still think we're a bit light in certain areas, but at least Xia has put his money where his mouth is. Let's just hope we click as a team sooner rather than later.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
Over the moon. Now it's up to us to support the players and get the best out of them

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »
Happy, only doubt I have is signing an inexperienced, foreign keeper (not sure how good his English is?) when I feel that we needed another old, steady head back there.

He's fluent in English.

Well, Mancunian at least

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »
Reasonably happy, but Central Defence cover is a concern. Plus midfield could've done with one more addition.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Voted happy, but there again I always convince myself our signings are good, thought we had done OK last season and look how that turned out. Be interesting to see how it goes now.

GK

Gollini - Doesn't look very good as yet. De Guey looked rubbish first season at Man Utd, but they persevered until he got up to speed and now he looks really good. Problem we have is that we are not in a great place to have a GK learning on the job. Hopefully he will cut out the ricks that have gifted a 1 goal start to the opposition most games thus far in his Villa career.

Verdict - No better than Guzan so far, but at least he has the potential to be good eventually (Guzan would only have declined even more). In an ideal world would have liked to have seen someone more experienced come in as well. Bunn and Steer are not good competition.

Defense

Elphick - Really happy with this one. Looks to be a leader on and off the pitch and has a good attitude. Not too shabby a defender at this level either.

Chester - So so start, but think he will be a really good buy.

De Laet - Not convinced he will be any better than Hutton who like De Laet should be OK at championship level. Hopefully I am wrong and he turns out to be better. At least it removes any possibility of that dickhead Richards getting a game at right back though.

Verdict - Much better in defense after swapping out Clark and Lescott for Chester and De Laet. Happy with Baker as back up, though would be a worry if we picked up two injuries and ended up with Richards in defence. Worried about left back, I really do not rate Amavi as a defender and Cissokho is injury prone. Overall a big improvement though.

Midfield

Tsibola - Too soon to judge, and seems to get injured  lot. Bit of luck he can be a modern day Ian Taylor as he has energy and looks strong. Like him.

Jedinak - Very pleased with this signing, we have too soft in midfield for too long. About time we had a big hard bastard that doesn't bottle.

Asamoah - Has a very good record at this level, and can only be an improvement on the sulky twat he has been swapped for.

Verdict - Bit light on numbers, but I still hold out hope that Gardner can cut it at this level. Definitely better though so no complaints.

Forwards

McCormack - Best signing of the window in the Championship, and a real statement of intent to the likes of Norwich and Newcastle. Looks a tidy player so far, and fully expect him to bang in 20 goals and create at least 10 this season. From what he has shown so far I think he could handle the step up to the premier league with ease.

Kodjia - Not convinced he isn't a one season wonder like Gestede, but there again he does have the right attributes to be good at this level and he is only 26. Fast, powerful, good engine and scores goals (hopefully). Will stop teams being able to sit back, as he has pace. If we had had that in team earlier in the season we could well have won a few more of the games we dominated first half.

Verdict - Disappointed we didn't get Hernandez, but better Kodjia than Valencia. With McCormack, Kodjia,and Gestede we have three players that are proven at this level to be prolific. McCormack has guile and skill, Kodjia has pace and power, Gestede has height and can hold the ball up. It should let RDM tae a horses for courses approach and vary his tactics according to the opposition. Also means we have option son the bench.

Overall happy. Lerner would have crossed his fingers and relied on Gabby and co being better at this level, whilst flogging the likes of Ayew to get the wage bill down.

We have probably the best first 11 in the league, and we can't really expect Tony Xia to buy the best reserve team as well in the first season. Plus Lescott, Guzan, Vertout, Gana, Bennett etc all gone - malcontents and substandard dreck out of the team.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
I think its unfair to criticize our forward line. I don't think anybody has a stronger group of player up there than we do in this league.

We've strengthened in defence and central midfield, but there isn't quite the depth there that we'd like. I actually like Gollini, despite the mistakes. He looks very assured and prior to Bristol, his shot stopping was fine.

We've made huge strides in two months, the chairman has backed the manager and its hard to imagine that we could have done more.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
Bit pissed off about the international break. It's like getting a new bike for Christmas as a kid. Then it snows for 2 weeks and you don't get to ride the fkn thing!

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
6.5/10

Good stuff - bought in solid types to get us out of the division

Not so good stuff - very limited upside potential of any of the new players should we get promoted or want/need to cash in

Offline manic-road

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 12:36:28 PM »
Happy, not sure yet about the keeper the spine of the team looks a lot stronger than last season. Once the team has had time to gel we will then see how many were good buys.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal