collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: No excuses now guys  (Read 13854 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: No excuses now guys
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 07:46:33 AM »
So with everyone fit, I reckon we're looking at:

Gollini

De Laet      Elphick  Chester   Cissokho

Jedinak    Tshibola

Adomah           McCormack      Ayew

Kodjia

Subs:  Bunn, Baker, Amavi, Bacuna, Westwood, Grealish, Gestede

Personally I'd swap Cissokho for Amavi and play Jack wide left instead of Ayew.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »
It looks very promising so far. However, the parachute payments were meant to be around 40m pounds, so with the sales of players Tony hasn't actually spent any extra money yet. This isn't a criticism as I don't think the club could have done any more, but what the long-term investment in the club will be is yet to be seen.

Leaves room for investment in January if needed surely?
Agree with a lot of others that we still look light in midfield

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »
My point, although not put over very well reading it back, is would RDM be expecting the sack if we are not promoted?

We could not have asked any more from the owner - open in communication, did what he said he would and delivered on almost every player RDM flagged up whilst putting a decent infrastructure in place and getting rid of a load of shits.

It is clear Dr Tony is not messing about so how long do you think RDM will get before the pressure on him becomes too great?

October?
Jan?
End of season?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
My point, although not put over very well reading it back, is would RDM be expecting the sack if we are not promoted?

We could not have asked any more from the owner - open in communication, did what he said he would and delivered on almost every player RDM flagged up whilst putting a decent infrastructure in place and getting rid of a load of shits.

It is clear Dr Tony is not messing about so how long do you think RDM will get before the pressure on him becomes too great?

October?
Jan?
End of season?

Unless we're well off the pace, I think he'll get the whole season. I'd give him the two years that he's signed for personally though

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »

Gollini

Jedinak    Tshibola

Kodjia

Personally I'd swap Cissokho for Amavi and play Jack wide left instead of Ayew.

Agree and I'd put Bacuna in at right back instead of De Laet, at least for now anyway.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 09:03:45 AM »

Gollini

Jedinak    Tshibola

Kodjia

tasty line up there, I'd just swap Ayew for Grealish.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »

Gollini

Jedinak    Tshibola

Kodjia

We've got options and will need to rotate. I'd definitely have grealish in and let ayew / adomah compete for the other place, based on form to date. I'd start ayew v forest

I'd also play bacuna at right back. And I think Westwood will need to play in some games as - despite the consensus - he offers much better forward passing than the other two.

Some?  This is Westwood we're talking about, the Westwood that gets into every Villa team.  Even when he's not picked he will still be out there doing his thing.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
Dr Tony and his team have team have done exceptionally well, but we should not forget they inherited a squad which was rotten at the core. The reconstruction required is massive.

Back to the Prem in 2 years is the reasonable goal in my opinion.

that's my view as well, but when you look at the players in and see that we could effectively field a whole new starting Xl from last season if the manager chooses too, I think automatic promotion appears to be achievable. Top six and playoff heartache minimum now, I reckon this season. Hopefully straight up, but if not this season, then next, without a doubt.

Tone's obviously targeting bouncing straight back up. You look at our squad now and you'd have to think we've got the players to finish first or second. If they gel quick, I reckon we can do it. If it takes time and we have to bring in a few more in Jan, it won't be  the end of the world.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »
That keeper still worries me though

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »

Gollini

Jedinak    Tshibola

Kodjia

We've got options and will need to rotate. I'd definitely have grealish in and let ayew / adomah compete for the other place, based on form to date. I'd start ayew v forest

I'd also play bacuna at right back. And I think Westwood will need to play in some games as - despite the consensus - he offers much better forward passing than the other two.

Some?  This is Westwood we're talking about, the Westwood that gets into every Villa team.  Even when he's not picked he will still be out there doing his thing.

Cor, imagine Westwood  "ghosting" here there and everywhere , just like Martin Peters, except he would be pointing rather than heading or shooting.Perhaps the Doctor could develop a cloaking device that would enable him to be a 12th player on the pitch....pointing the way forward(assuming he knows which way that is)

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
Well RDM has a nice headache now when selecting our attacking lineup. Competition for places much...

McCormack
Kodja
Adomah
Grealish
Ayew
Gestede

...we were lacking pace up front but we could now pose a frightening and daunting prospect for most Championship defences.

We're still lightweight in middle but we've still been dominating games in the first half, and we should be quite rightly out of sight by half time...theres no excuses for not putting those chances away now.

You forgot someone.....

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
So what's everyone's starting 11 like ?

I looked at it and midfirldcentre is my concern.  I mean I think I want 3 in middle sometimes rather than 2.
I also feel if midfield is still struggling by winter winter window bring in a few middle players

The only excuses are the fact this is a team to gel as rdm said

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
I'm really happy with our signings I'm feeling better about the season with what we have done in this transfer window.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
Dr Tony and his team have team have done exceptionally well, but we should not forget they inherited a squad which was rotten at the core. The reconstruction required is massive.

Back to the Prem in 2 years is the reasonable goal in my opinion.

I kind of agree - the new owners have kept to their word and done a good job so far,  loads of new players with the relevant experience and ability at this level, and shifting a lot of deadwood and wasters out.   But they have to become a team and that could take time.  There is very little continuity (except it seems for  the tendency to fall apart at the first setback) from last season which is a good thing in many ways but starting from scratch is never easy.   I also think we are still light in midfield, central defence and keeper.  It would not surprise me massively to see us miss out this season if we get unlucky with injuries, but we should at least be there or thereabouts. 

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
Happy with the players we've brought in, although I must confess to knowing little about them.

The big challenge will be changing the culture of expectation and entitlement at this club to one of desire. We'll only get back to the Premier League because it's where we really want to be, rather than where we feel we should be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal