collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Albert Adomah - Released  (Read 90868 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Albert Adomah - signed
« Reply #285 on: November 08, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
We have Snodders on the right who is left footed and Albert in the left who is right footed. Everytime they beat a man they have to cut back to cross with their stronger foot. I know this is a tactic that works but what I would like to see more often is them switching flanks during the game. This throws the RB/LB more because they know if they get beaten on the stronger side they will cross and not cut back. Just a thought but it keeps the defence guessing.

You are suggesting game management and tactics - right?

Move on - not going to happen

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #286 on: November 08, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
We have Snodders on the right who is left footed and Albert in the left who is right footed. Everytime they beat a man they have to cut back to cross with their stronger foot. I know this is a tactic that works but what I would like to see more often is them switching flanks during the game. This throws the RB/LB more because they know if they get beaten on the stronger side they will cross and not cut back. Just a thought but it keeps the defence guessing.

You radical madman !

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #287 on: November 08, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »
It looks like his form in 13-14 with Middlesborough was something of an exceptional career high point.

In his  (more or less ever present) 3 seasons before and 3 since his annus mirabalis he's managed 31 goals, i.e. averaged around 5 goals a season.

I agree that all players vary in form.  The problem with him is that his that as his record shows, his 'base' level is totally underwhelming.  Whatever got Middlesborough promoted in 15-16 (6 goals and 5 assists) doesn't seem to have been down to him in an attacking sense.

So all in all, I'd say a more detailed review of his record supports my theory perfectly.

You made it sound like having him play a key role in our attack would seriously hobble the team's ability to get promoted, which isn't the case based off past history.

If I've misconceived it and you're just saying that he's not quite good enough to be the major creative force in a promotion-worthy team, fair enough - but in that case, I'm not sure who that assessment wouldn't apply to outside of, say, the very best attacking players in the league, which then makes it harsh to just focus on Adomah.

The bold bit is exactly what I'm saying.

If he plays up front then he doesn't score enough and he doesn't create enough.

If plays out wide then he doesn't adapt his game sufficiently to cover the weakness in the centre.

If he starts the majority of games we certainly won't get automatic promotion. 

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:25 PM »
It looks like his form in 13-14 with Middlesborough was something of an exceptional career high point.

In his  (more or less ever present) 3 seasons before and 3 since his annus mirabalis he's managed 31 goals, i.e. averaged around 5 goals a season.

I agree that all players vary in form.  The problem with him is that his that as his record shows, his 'base' level is totally underwhelming.  Whatever got Middlesborough promoted in 15-16 (6 goals and 5 assists) doesn't seem to have been down to him in an attacking sense.

So all in all, I'd say a more detailed review of his record supports my theory perfectly.

You made it sound like having him play a key role in our attack would seriously hobble the team's ability to get promoted, which isn't the case based off past history.

If I've misconceived it and you're just saying that he's not quite good enough to be the major creative force in a promotion-worthy team, fair enough - but in that case, I'm not sure who that assessment wouldn't apply to outside of, say, the very best attacking players in the league, which then makes it harsh to just focus on Adomah.

If plays out wide then he doesn't adapt his game sufficiently to cover the weakness in the centre.

Which then goes back to the Middlesbrough point - he started the majority of games for them just two seasons ago and that didn't stop them getting automatic promotion. In that case, it comes down to how the rest of the respective teams (ours vs them back then) shape up, but I don't get the targeting of him when so far, he's more than pulled his weight.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #289 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:16 AM »

Which then goes back to the Middlesbrough point - he started the majority of games for them just two seasons ago and that didn't stop them getting automatic promotion. In that case, it comes down to how the rest of the respective teams (ours vs them back then) shape up, but I don't get the targeting of him when so far, he's more than pulled his weight.

If we play the 4231 that has accompanied most of our decent performances and the 3 all get 5-6 goals and 8-10 assists then we'll be there or thereabouts. Adomah has achieved those sorts of figures for the last 2 years and is on course to do the same this year.  He's not a world beater by any stretch but he creates enough chances to earn his place in the team given the paucity of creativity from elsewhere.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #290 on: November 09, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »
Nobody is singling out Adomah - but this is the Adomag thread, and my original response to the revival of this thread was that he was playing the same as last year.  That is he has streaks of goals then like most players reverts back to normal.

Rge last couple of posts re reiterates my main concern with him though.

If the  attacking 3 score 5/6 each and the main stroker scores 20 then that makes 35-40 goals.  The promoted teams generally score 70 meaning 30 comes from elsewhere.  I don't see that happening.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #291 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
Well he's well on course for double figures so I'm not Sure what you're saying has too much relation to what he's doing.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #292 on: November 09, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
I think purely from his goal record this season and the upturn in results since he's been in the team, he has to play at the moment. I do think that his delivery from wide positions into the box (particularly last season) is largely terrible though. If he could improve that though he'd be a huge player for us.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #293 on: November 09, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
Nobody is singling out Adomah - but this is the Adomag thread, and my original response to the revival of this thread was that he was playing the same as last year.  That is he has streaks of goals then like most players reverts back to normal.

Rge last couple of posts re reiterates my main concern with him though.

If the  attacking 3 score 5/6 each and the main stroker scores 20 then that makes 35-40 goals.  The promoted teams generally score 70 meaning 30 comes from elsewhere.  I don't see that happening.

Right now the goals from the striker(s) are where my worry is, the midfield have provided plenty, Adomah included. Between them Kodjia, Davis, Gabby and Hogan have managed 4 goals in 16 games, that needs to improve massively for the rest of the season because that group need to provide 25-30 between them.  The midfield, as a unit will make that many easily (they have 15 already) and Samba, Terry and Chester will score enough from set pieces to make a decent contribution as well.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #294 on: November 18, 2017, 06:24:12 PM »
Well done Albert just top notch again keep it up.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #295 on: November 18, 2017, 07:02:17 PM »
Albert has become such an important player.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #296 on: November 18, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
POTS so far.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2017, 11:34:03 PM »
So good. He rightfully now owns his current position but I do wonder how he would do centrally.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #298 on: November 19, 2017, 12:07:36 AM »
So good. He rightfully now owns his current position but I do wonder how he would do centrally.

As you’d wonder how Jimmy Page’d do on drums

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #299 on: November 19, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »
I don’t get why so many are unconvinced by Albert

Not sure how he’d do in the prem, but he got 10 assists last year in a side that struggled to attack and he has already been promoted so the “you’ll never get promoted with him” comments are odd

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal