collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Albert Adomah - Released  (Read 90861 times)

Offline oldhill_avfc

Re: Albert Adomah - signed
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »
He's exactly the same as was last season.

He has a run of a few games when he scores a couple and creates something.  You start to doubt yourself and think he might actually be quite good,  but then your sanity is restored when he returns to his base level of performance which is abject.

His control is appalling.   On Saturday I thought Sanchez was back when he gave the ball away under little pressure 4 times in a row.  Later in the game he had time and space in the box and shinned it out for a goal kick.  It's not like these are isolated instances.  At Preston in the week he have at least 3 chances to kill the game off, either by scoring or creating chances and he messed up each of them.

I know there are some on here who cite the stats saying he's the most creative player in the team, but that misses the main point. 

If he plays as an advanced midfielder (lets say like Son/Eriksen for Spurs) or an out and out winger, then his total contribution, i.e. goals + chances created are not enough to get us promoted.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
Bearing in mind he's been playing on the opposite side to where he normally does, I think he's been pretty good and one of our better players this season.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
Bearing in mind he's been playing on the opposite side to where he normally does, I think he's been pretty good and one of our better players this season.

He's had a hot streak, but there have been signs over the past couple of games that his form may be dipping a little.  I would have liked to see him switched back over to the right at times during the last few games, but not to be.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:08:13 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »

He has a run of a few games when he scores a couple and creates something.  You start to doubt yourself and think he might actually be quite good,  but then your sanity is restored when he returns to his base level of performance which is abject.

His control is appalling.   On Saturday I thought Sanchez was back when he gave the ball away under little pressure 4 times in a row.  Later in the game he had time and space in the box and shinned it out for a goal kick.  It's not like these are isolated instances.  At Preston in the week he have at least 3 chances to kill the game off, either by scoring or creating chances and he messed up each of them.

I know there are some on here who cite the stats saying he's the most creative player in the team, but that misses the main point. 

If he plays as an advanced midfielder (lets say like Son/Eriksen for Spurs) or an out and out winger, then his total contribution, i.e. goals + chances created are not enough to get us promoted.

He played every week for a Boro team that got automatic promotion just a couple of seasons ago. I doubt he's somehow a worse player now than he was back then, so I don't see how that fits with your theory.

Also, taking issue with the fact that a player like him has runs of good and bad games is like complaining that the local takeaway doesn't serve haute cuisine.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »
It looks like his form in 13-14 with Middlesborough was something of an exceptional career high point.

In his  (more or less ever present) 3 seasons before and 3 since his annus mirabalis he's managed 31 goals, i.e. averaged around 5 goals a season.

I agree that all players vary in form.  The problem with him is that his that as his record shows, his 'base' level is totally underwhelming.  Whatever got Middlesborough promoted in 15-16 (6 goals and 5 assists) doesn't seem to have been down to him in an attacking sense.

So all in all, I'd say a more detailed review of his record supports my theory perfectly. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:04:14 PM by oldhill_avfc »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »

He played every week for a Boro team that got automatic promotion just a couple of seasons ago. I doubt he's somehow a worse player now than he was back then, so I don't see how that fits with your theory.

Also, taking issue with the fact that a player like him has runs of good and bad games is like complaining that the local takeaway doesn't serve haute cuisine.

Ah, but the world and the league has changed since then.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »
He was piss-poor on Saturday: he stood on the left touchline and offered no movement when the ball was coming out of defence. He didn't really beat his man at all, preferring to cut inside every time; very predictably.
Rather like Snodgrass, actually; both very ineffectual.

Offline Uknowthescore

« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
He’s been better than snodgrass at least Albert looks like he cares. Snodgrass gives me the impression he’s to good for us and this league

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:27 PM »
He was piss-poor on Saturday: he stood on the left touchline and offered no movement when the ball was coming out of defence. He didn't really beat his man at all, preferring to cut inside every time; very predictably.
Rather like Snodgrass, actually; both very ineffectual.

I don't think anyone could argue he wasn't crap on Saturday but generally he's been one of our better players this season and he's arguably playing out of position.

I find it pretty incredible that anyone is criticising our top goalscorer, despite him playing on the wing, on the wrong side of the pitch!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:53:06 PM by Ad@m »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
Think he's been more influential than last season. Also chipping in with goals which is really important particularly as Hogan is next to useless in a Claret and Blue kit.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »
It looks like his form in 13-14 with Middlesborough was something of an exceptional career high point.

In his  (more or less ever present) 3 seasons before and 3 since his annus mirabalis he's managed 31 goals, i.e. averaged around 5 goals a season.

I agree that all players vary in form.  The problem with him is that his that as his record shows, his 'base' level is totally underwhelming.  Whatever got Middlesborough promoted in 15-16 (6 goals and 5 assists) doesn't seem to have been down to him in an attacking sense.

So all in all, I'd say a more detailed review of his record supports my theory perfectly.

You made it sound like having him play a key role in our attack would seriously hobble the team's ability to get promoted, which isn't the case based off past history.

If I've misconceived it and you're just saying that he's not quite good enough to be the major creative force in a promotion-worthy team, fair enough - but in that case, I'm not sure who that assessment wouldn't apply to outside of, say, the very best attacking players in the league, which then makes it harsh to just focus on Adomah.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
He was struggling to make our matchday squad at one point this season so has done well to force himself back into contention. He is a proven competent performer at this level, pacy, works hard and a decent supply of goals and assists. Arguably our more talented options for our wide positions (Green, Grealish, Snodgrass) need to prove themselves capable of the same or better for us to improve.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #282 on: November 08, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »
He is our top scorer ffs.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
He has been our best attacking player this season, and did pretty well in terms of assists last season too. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Offline ironmaidenmania

« Reply #284 on: November 08, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
We have Snodders on the right who is left footed and Albert in the left who is right footed. Everytime they beat a man they have to cut back to cross with their stronger foot. I know this is a tactic that works but what I would like to see more often is them switching flanks during the game. This throws the RB/LB more because they know if they get beaten on the stronger side they will cross and not cut back. Just a thought but it keeps the defence guessing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal