collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD  (Read 256548 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: Jonathan Kodjia - CONFIRMED
« Reply #1335 on: September 27, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
I'm not for a second suggesting that McCormack is blameless in his own downfall, but I do often wonder how things would have panned-out if he'd had a  different strike partner to begin with. How many times did Kodjia ignore him in great positions during those early days under Di Matteo? I reckon even if we'd had a journey-man, David Nugent type striker playing alongside McCormack things would have gone differently for all involved. Well, apart from Kodjia who'd probably be 6th choice striker for Watford or Huddersfield by now.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1336 on: September 27, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
He's a real talent, but I don't think Bruce helps him curb his less useful tendencies at all. In attack, Bruce's football has absolutely no structure or plan, the hope being that individual talent will get him through - and you can see how that sort of football doesn't exactly encourage a guy like Kodjia to be more of a team player.

Exactly right, when the attacking play is reliant on moments of individual brilliance it doesn't do much to stop someone who is naturally quite greedy from trying to do it on his own. The Abraham goal against rotherham showed that when he gets quick ball and there are players in space near him he will bring them into play so really we need to focus on creating those situations more regularly.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #1337 on: September 27, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »
Makes you wonder what someone like Thierry Henry could do with him....

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1338 on: September 27, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »

Good point and well made.

An inspirational Manager can get players to run through brick walls - Just look at the footage on Amazon of the Pep documentary. In the middle of 5 a side he stops the game and everyone just listens to what he tells them. Same for in the cinema room

"Put yer boots on"  "up and at em" just does not work anymore

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1339 on: September 27, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
Conversely, you would imagine Bruce would know what he was doing when it came to central defenders.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1340 on: September 27, 2018, 01:42:56 PM »
Conversely, you would imagine Bruce would know what he was doing when it came to central defenders.

'Get yer head on it' and 'Row Z son' don't do much these days either.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1341 on: October 03, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
Well taken header for his goal v Preston .
Has a good leap on him and great to see him being a goal threat.

What's excruciating is that he not being used effectively .
And at times wasn't a 4-5-1 at 0-0 and Kodija seemed to be here the and everywhere .he also was stationed wide at first and I thought here we go again where's this 2 up front ??

Good in some ways but can't tell if that's bruce just saying to him move around or him being his enigamatic self.

The best news is he's scoring goals

Offline exigo

« Reply #1342 on: October 03, 2018, 12:48:18 PM »
Bruce had clearly told him that being on the wing meant tracking back. He spent way too much time pretty much at right back.
When you looked at the Preston front two, they were hardly ever more than ten yards apart, meaning that they could link up at will. Is it too much to expect us to set up that way?

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1343 on: October 03, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
Bruce had clearly told him that being on the wing meant tracking back. He spent way too much time pretty much at right back.
When you looked at the Preston front two, they were hardly ever more than ten yards apart, meaning that they could link up at will. Is it too much to expect us to set up that way?

Yes not using him in most effective position especially against a team that had conceded at least 3 goals every time  in last 4 matches.

Bruce kidding us when he says 2 up top as that was a perfect opportunity . Far to cautious and Kodija is a talented striker and needs to be used as such.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #1344 on: October 03, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »

Good point and well made.

An inspirational Manager can get players to run through brick walls - Just look at the footage on Amazon of the Pep documentary. In the middle of 5 a side he stops the game and everyone just listens to what he tells them. Same for in the cinema room

"Put yer boots on"  "up and at em" just does not work anymore
You're behind the times Hookey….I'll just quote our innovative, progressive manager for you from last night:
 "The one thing I've always had is the determination to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in. I'll always have a go."

And it only costs us £2m a year!

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1345 on: October 03, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
that's the sort of remark you associate with a novice DIY'er laying their first patio. It's not something that a modern football manager should even think of.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #1346 on: October 03, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
that's the sort of remark you associate with a novice DIY'er laying their first patio. It's not something that a modern football manager should even think of.
Good job we're not talking about a modern football manager then.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1347 on: October 03, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »
Well taken header for his goal v Preston .
Has a good leap on him and great to see him being a goal threat.

What's excruciating is that he not being used effectively .
And at times wasn't a 4-5-1 at 0-0 and Kodija seemed to be here the and everywhere .he also was stationed wide at first and I thought here we go again where's this 2 up front ??

Good in some ways but can't tell if that's bruce just saying to him move around or him being his enigamatic self.

The best news is he's scoring goals

There was a period in the first half last night when Kodjia and Abraham were playing up front together and were linking up well.  Strangely, it meant that Hourihane was playing on the right, but Elmohamady got forward quite well in the first half. 

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1348 on: October 13, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
Kodjia scored the first goal , a lofted finish over the onrushing GK from a long ball by defence .

In the end ivory Coast beat Central African Republic 4-0 win in Africa cup of nation's group qualifier.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1349 on: October 13, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
Lots of people think Kodjia will miss out because Smith likes Hogan

But I think there's a pretty obvious role for him wide of a front three. He'd be playing narrower and higher than he had to for Bruce. Though we need a proper overlapping left back to make it work

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal