collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 08:06:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Godfrey Brian
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 08:01:14 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:50:27 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Villan For Life
[Today at 07:45:50 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD  (Read 258033 times)

Offline Three Spires Villa

Re: Jonathan Kodjia - CONFIRMED
« Reply #1500 on: August 15, 2019, 06:38:08 PM »
I think we’ve got someone lined up to replace that are currently a free agent

Who ?

The only ones available are either too old (Llorente), too injured (Sturridge) or too bonkers (Balotelli)

Transfermarkt

Go for the "what could have been" partnership in the relegation season of Adebayor and Doumbia.

As it is, if anyone wants to give us any sort of fee for a 29 year old Ivorian who isn't as good as he was before he got injured - just take the money and get like for like with Wilfried Bony.

That's not in any way like for like. Kodjia just played in the Premier League. Bony can't get a go for Newport. Bony is finished. Kodjia, hopefully, isn't.

My one concern going into the season was not signing another striker, I hope it doesn't turn out to be Smith's "fuck it I don't need any defenders we've got Jedinak" mistake.

Letting Kodjia go when we have so few options up front would be madness. He can leave in January when we have signed a replacement and not before.

I completely agree and I really hope I am worrying about nothing because Wes and Davis will be fine, with Kodja helping out but.....

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1501 on: August 15, 2019, 06:42:56 PM »
I think we’ve got someone lined up to replace that are currently a free agent

Who ?

The only ones available are either too old (Llorente), too injured (Sturridge) or too bonkers (Balotelli)

Transfermarkt

Go for the "what could have been" partnership in the relegation season of Adebayor and Doumbia.

As it is, if anyone wants to give us any sort of fee for a 29 year old Ivorian who isn't as good as he was before he got injured - just take the money and get like for like with Wilfried Bony.

That's not in any way like for like. Kodjia just played in the Premier League. Bony can't get a go for Newport. Bony is finished. Kodjia, hopefully, isn't.

My one concern going into the season was not signing another striker, I hope it doesn't turn out to be Smith's "fuck it I don't need any defenders we've got Jedinak" mistake.

Letting Kodjia go when we have so few options up front would be madness. He can leave in January when we have signed a replacement and not before.

Kodjia is finished too would be my view and has been for some time. I honestly think he would struggle to make an impact at a mid table championship side these days, as was clear last season for most of it. Going into the season with him as backup to Wesley is, on the evidence of his Spurs cameo, a serious worry.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1502 on: August 15, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
Kodjia surely will want to take a shot at the Prem after all these years rather than immediately go back to a lesser league.

It may have been a tall ask for him to come on against Spurs and make a huge contribution, but he could have looked as if he was bothered - including trying to make himself available for a pass when Grealish lost the ball, leading to their second.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1503 on: August 15, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
Kodjia is finished too would be my view and has been for some time. I honestly think he would struggle to make an impact at a mid table championship side these days, as was clear last season for most of it. Going into the season with him as backup to Wesley is, on the evidence of his Spurs cameo, a serious worry.

Erm, you do realise he’s a striker who got us plenty of goals playing as a striker, but last season was mostly played on the wing?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1504 on: August 15, 2019, 07:08:52 PM »
He's long gone in really wanting it. I was finished with him after his disgraceful appearance at boro away in the play offs - but unfortunately we need him right now so I will bite my gob and keep quiet

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1505 on: August 15, 2019, 08:01:18 PM »
Kodjia surely will want to take a shot at the Prem after all these years rather than immediately go back to a lesser league.

It may have been a tall ask for him to come on against Spurs and make a huge contribution, but he could have looked as if he was bothered - including trying to make himself available for a pass when Grealish lost the ball, leading to their second.

Well Dean said he sprained his ankle but played on, so not sure we can judge him on that showing. And he’s out for Saturday as a result

Offline KRS

« Reply #1506 on: August 15, 2019, 08:46:22 PM »
I think we’ll sign another striker and let JK go in January if there’s any decent offers for him. How long does he have left on his contract?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1507 on: August 15, 2019, 08:59:37 PM »

Well Dean said he sprained his ankle but played on, so not sure we can judge him on that showing. And he’s out for Saturday as a result

High ankle sprain is incredibly painful

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1508 on: August 15, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
Bony doesn't get a go with Newport as he doesn't want to sign for them. Not saying he's got anything left at the highest level but it's a tad harsh saying he's not even good enough for Newport when he's only training there while he looks for a club.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1509 on: August 15, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »

Erm, you do realise he’s a striker who got us plenty of goals playing as a striker, but last season was mostly played on the wing?

Plenty of goals pre his serious ankle injury. 10 goals in 61 appearances post injury.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1510 on: August 15, 2019, 10:56:16 PM »
Bony doesn't get a go with Newport as he doesn't want to sign for them. Not saying he's got anything left at the highest level but it's a tad harsh saying he's not even good enough for Newport when he's only training there while he looks for a club.

It was a mistype. I meant not even good enough for New Camp.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1511 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:48 AM »

Plenty of goals pre his serious ankle injury. 10 goals in 61 appearances post injury.

But as said in the bit you decided to ignore, how many of those appearances were on the wing?

To be clear I'm not sure about him because I don't think his heart is in it, which is why we've had so many links to him moving on, but if he wants to be here so he can try to prove himself in the PL then I don't have an issue with his ability.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1512 on: August 16, 2019, 01:44:52 AM »
He's just such a fucking frustrating player to watch. You think he has it all with his technique and power sometimes but more often he can't trap a ball for toffee.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1513 on: August 16, 2019, 07:58:48 AM »
For me he is at his most frustrating when he hasn't scored for a while.  He likes to score, and then gets desperate to get back on the score sheet to the point where he becomes greedy, doesn't pass when team mates are in better positions, and ends up screwing up chances because he's so eager.

The one season when we played him week-in week-out as a striker he got us 19 league goals in 36 games.  The following season he was out with the injury, and since he's come back he's never actually had a run in the team as a striker.  So a bit harsh to say he's lost it or is no good for the Championship.  Whether he can cut it in the Prem, who knows, but there are a few players in that boat this season.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1514 on: August 16, 2019, 08:48:33 AM »
I just hope not buying another forward doesn't come back to haunt us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal