collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Snooker by BC Villain
[Today at 10:30:06 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by The Moose
[Today at 10:15:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:10:53 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 10:10:08 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by The Moose
[Today at 10:06:04 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:04:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:02:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:01:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The "what is wrong with this club" part 259 thread.  (Read 19189 times)

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
Re: The "what is wrong with this club" part 259 thread.
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
Correlation is not causation

Besides we didn't win many under MacLeish before Westwood arrived

I'm sorry but I'm tired of seeing Westwood representing AVFC and tired of berating his inclusion. If you can't see how his ineffectual performances are a major part of our problems on the pitch then what more can be said.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
If Barry bannan can get into the team of the season in this league then I'm sure Westwood can be good enough, at least as back up

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2016, 06:58:38 PM »
People need to be patient. If the likes of Man U and Co take seasons to rebuild with their financial backing, then i'm guessing a manager inheriting the worse side for 30 years deserves more than a month to get players in, forge an understanding between strangers and move forward. Yes. we're iffy at the moment but anyone thinking we're were gonna  blow away all before us was in cloud cuckoo land anyway.  We looked the better side in some of the games we've lost and though that doesn't get you promoted, its at least a major improvement on last season, and shows the side isn't too far off coming to grips with the Championship.

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2016, 07:12:05 PM »
its too early to panic, and blaming individual players is foolish. The club has indeed something wrong with it, and the changes never seem to work. The second half collapse is now standard and the division knows it. After 60 minutes, villa fall apart. And its happened time and again, Grealish must have felt he was back at Leicester last September.

So I would bring in a sport psychologist. They collapse too easily. The most ominous sign is not the points, there has been some bad luck. Its 20 yellow cards, 7 yesterday. Always a sign a team is in crisis when they give away silly fouls. 4 cards per game is bad, and with the thinness of the squad could cause a real disaster as we would have to play the kids.

Ah, something else, like the bomb squad, we have seen before. Lambert must think he has won the national lottery getting out this club. But why? What I causing the groundhog day at villa?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2016, 07:30:35 PM »
It's never too early to panic as we have learned over the last few seasons and we don't need to be told to be patient as its been a recurring theme. If we can toy around with teams in this league in the first half and getting run over with ease in the second it should be fixable by coaching and fitness staff after all it's the same players. There is no time to waste we need to get out of this this season.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
Every word Aftab. Every word.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2016, 07:38:27 PM »
It's never too early to panic as we have learned over the last few seasons and we don't need to be told to be patient as its been a recurring theme. If we can toy around with teams in this league in the first half and getting run over with ease in the second it should be fixable by coaching and fitness staff after all it's the same players. There is no time to waste we need to get out of this this season.

As someone who was told to be patient last season by others when it was quite clear we were totally awful in all departments and going down, i don't see the the connection. If we'd been completely terrible so far like last season then yes i'd be panicing but iffy as we are, we're still better than last season. In fact on the evidence so far, the current side would have made more of a fist of staying in the premier last season
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:40:32 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2016, 07:39:23 PM »
I am not lambasting Westwood because we got turned over by Bristol City but because I have seen nothing but season after season of sensory numbing, monotonous anonimity from him. By all means have the opinion that he can do a job for us this season. For the sake of my sanity I feel he should be improved upon regardless of the league we currently occupy.

Offline anton hillman

« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »
I wonder whether the players and staff have fallen under the spell of "We are Aston Villa, Champions of Europe, Greatest team ever" rather than "We are Aston Villa, Champions of fuck all anymore and they need us to get out of this fucking mess"
[/quote
Great point. I have banged on about this many times and usually get shot down for it but here goes.
Can the club PLEASE tear down those embarrassing banners about the European cup from 34 fucking years ago?Great memories but it's time to move on.  Maybe then we just might make some new memories.
Yes please, please take them down. They make us look like past obsessed saddos.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2016, 07:42:31 PM »
its too early to panic, and blaming individual players is foolish. The club has indeed something wrong with it, and the changes never seem to work. The second half collapse is now standard and the division knows it. After 60 minutes, villa fall apart. And its happened time and again, Grealish must have felt he was back at Leicester last September.

So I would bring in a sport psychologist. They collapse too easily.

That's actually spot on Trevor.

Graham Taylor had one far back in the dim distant past when men were men, so I don't get why any sports institution worth millions today  wouldn't use it as another possible tool to get the best out of its assets.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »
I wonder whether the players and staff have fallen under the spell of "We are Aston Villa, Champions of Europe, Greatest team ever" rather than "We are Aston Villa, Champions of fuck all anymore and they need us to get out of this fucking mess"
[/quote
Great point. I have banged on about this many times and usually get shot down for it but here goes.
Can the club PLEASE tear down those embarrassing banners about the European cup from 34 fucking years ago?Great memories but it's time to move on.  Maybe then we just might make some new memories.
Yes please, please take them down. They make us look like past obsessed saddos.

I agree, that banner went up with the "Proud History, Bright Future" lies that we were fed. I'm happy to talk about 1982 and any year back to 1874 in the memories section here.  Match day at Villa Park is about the here and now.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
The problem(s) are pretty clearly mental.  Look on the match threads (on here and other fan sites) and you can see the fragile mindset of the fans, every missed chance was followed by "we're going to regret that" or "we all know what's coming" or similar.  Then we concede and it's "only 1 winner from here" and "typical Villa".  Those fears and uncertainties aren't only with us, that's part of the club psyche at the moment and what we really need is to have a game like this where we hang on for the win and another where we put them to the sword and take the chances.  slowly build that confidence up that we can take the lead and win or that we can go into the last 15 level and take the points, getting that mental fortitude is a tough process but it's key to this.  Buying in players who have it does help a little but they need to set examples or they'll get dragged down with the rest.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2016, 09:28:16 PM »
I am hoping that after Wednesday things will settle down.  There will be no more players coming in or leaving and the manager should be saying that's it until the New Year, the season starts now.  Players will know their position and have a settled period of 4 months.  RDM should have in his mind his first XI and the style of play he wants to develop.  The international break is just what we need now and without the transfer fever distraction, there will be 10 days to get out at BMH and start to put in the hard work and begin to bond as a squad.  I am hoping that the hangers on have been sold/loaned out as they are a distraction that we don't need and I imagine the likes of Westwood, Bacuna, Grealish etc. will be listening to them more than the new players, again something we do not need.

Offline BegbieAV

« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »
Last time we where in division 2 we only won 1 of our first 7 games. Don't panic, we will be fine. Playoffs at least.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
I am hoping that after Wednesday things will settle down.  There will be no more players coming in or leaving and the manager should be saying that's it until the New Year, the season starts now.  Players will know their position and have a settled period of 4 months.  RDM should have in his mind his first XI and the style of play he wants to develop.  The international break is just what we need now and without the transfer fever distraction, there will be 10 days to get out at BMH and start to put in the hard work and begin to bond as a squad.  I am hoping that the hangers on have been sold/loaned out as they are a distraction that we don't need and I imagine the likes of Westwood, Bacuna, Grealish etc. will be listening to them more than the new players, again something we do not need.

bodymoor heath is what worries me the most, as i dread to think what goes on there or more importantly what doesnt go on there

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal