collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The "what is wrong with this club" part 259 thread.  (Read 19049 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: The "what is wrong with this club" part 259 thread.
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
Two constants from our shite last few seasons - Westwood and Bacuna - are still in senior roles. It's no surprise to me that with their contributions, we're as solid as a paper aeroplane in a tornado.

Absolute bollocks.  Two of our better players this season.  It's their fault the whole fucking team collapse in the second half?
i know the result as soon as I see thier names on the team sheet.

Bacuna's done half decent so far but he's still not anything special. Westwood on the other hand has been his usual anonymous self. Honestly when are fans gonna realise the waster this man is? He's spent years making our midfield mediocre with displays of nothingness and it's time we finally got rid of him. We won't be promoted with him in our midfield.
The fans do realise what a useless player Westwood is. Question is when will the hierarchy realise it? He is not the sole reason we are in this utterly depressing situation but he has become a symbol of the club's current malaise. We have got only one crumb of comfort to cling on to. And that is in the shape of Tommy Elphick. Can he be the one to turn up at the training ground and lay the law down to the troops? I sincerely hope so.

I'm hoping TE decides to stop bangin' his Swede on an upright & does it on the bonces of some of our squad ponces. Better still, he starts banging a few heads together and issuing the riot act. Let's face it, RDM is never gonna do it (although SC certainly looks like he could dish it out). And how Westwood continues to deceive a succession of management teams is one of the great mysteries of our time. I can only think he's one of the world's eminent practitioners of massed hypnotism (ie more than one gullible idiot at any given time)  - although the majority of supporters evidently ain't so stupid as to buy such jiggery pokery. AAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHH!   >:(
Jiggery pokery! ! Fantastic. Word (s) of the day.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
Two constants from our shite last few seasons - Westwood and Bacuna - are still in senior roles. It's no surprise to me that with their contributions, we're as solid as a paper aeroplane in a tornado.

Absolute bollocks.  Two of our better players this season.  It's their fault the whole fucking team collapse in the second half?

Again, nobody is saying it's 'their fault'. Theyre both poor players with a long history of being in a losing team.

You like them, I get it. But it doesn't make them good players, and you don't really have a leg to stand on defending either of them. They have no particular attribute. Westwood for one rarely assists or scores, dribbles, tackles or makes a decisive pass. Give me one shred of evidence which backs up your pro-Westwood stance.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:04:11 PM by Axl Rose »

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
Until we get the crucial goals when it matters (McCormack at Weds, Ayew v Hudds and Bacuna today) we are inviting teams to punish us. And invariably they do. The reason? No killer instinct, no real desire to win. It's RDMs job to change the mentality, and bloody soon.

Getting crucial goals is certainly at the heart of the problem.

The last time we were in this mess, 8 players got 5 goals or more in the season.  There were 15 goalscorers in total.

The problem with this squad is that when they go behind they panic as they wonder how they're going to score.  There are too many players who're unlikely to grab that vital goal to get back into the game.

How many are going to get more than 5 this season?

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »
At this early moment in a long season the main concern must be that Jordan Ayew is not going to score a barrowload of goals as most of us expected. He might yet do so but the signs are not encouraging. My main concern,as ever, is that we do not have a winger with pace to get behind his full back and arrow it across the goalmouth.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »

Again, nobody is saying it's 'their fault'. Theyre both poor players with a long history of being in a losing team.

You like them, I get it. But it doesn't make them good players, and you don't really have a leg to stand on defending either of them. They have no particular attribute. Westwood for one rarely assists or scores, dribbles, tackles or makes a decisive pass. Give me one shred of evidence which backs up your pro-Westwood stance.
The fact that every single one of our managers since we signed him thinks he contributes sufficiently to pick him.  Of course you'll retort they were all shit managers, but they wouldn't have been managing pl clubs if they didn't have some football knowledge - more than most posters on Internet forums I suspect.  So there is my evidence, thanks.

I've said before I think he adds balance to the team, keeps the ball moving, works hard and is always available as an outlet to a teammate under pressure.  Not every player scores 40 yard screamers or knocks opponents into the stands, you need a balanced team and when we play well Westwood usually looks like he is helping the team tick over.  I'm not saying he's a world beater and of course could be upgraded, but blaming our collapses on him when the manager has signed practically a whole new team is just ridiculous.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »

i know the result as soon as I see thier names on the team sheet.

Bacuna's done half decent so far but he's still not anything special. Westwood on the other hand has been his usual anonymous self. Honestly when are fans gonna realise the waster this man is? He's spent years making our midfield mediocre with displays of nothingness and it's time we finally got rid of him. We won't be promoted with him in our midfield.
The fans do realise what a useless player Westwood is. Question is when will the hierarchy realise it? He is not the sole reason we are in this utterly depressing situation but he has become a symbol of the club's current malaise. We have got only one crumb of comfort to cling on to. And that is in the shape of Tommy Elphick. Can he be the one to turn up at the training ground and lay the law down to the troops? I sincerely hope so.

I'm hoping TE decides to stop bangin' his Swede on an upright & does it on the bonces of some of our squad ponces. Better still, he starts banging a few heads together and issuing the riot act. Let's face it, RDM is never gonna do it (although SC certainly looks like he could dish it out). And how Westwood continues to deceive a succession of management teams is one of the great mysteries of our time. I can only think he's one of the world's eminent practitioners of massed hypnotism (ie more than one gullible idiot at any given time)  - although the majority of supporters evidently ain't so stupid as to buy such jiggery pokery. AAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHH!   >:(
Jiggery pokery! ! Fantastic. Word (s) of the day.

Cheers bab. It's my life mission to make jiggery - and indeed pokery - a vital part of the modern vernacular. I also like widdershinnery, but I don't think the populous is quite ready for that yet. I'll keep ya posted on any developments though, obviously.  ;)

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
As stated by Rose and what a statement to make about a professional footballer
" Westwood for one rarely assists or scores, dribbles, tackles or makes a decisive pass" and thats when he is having a good game.

Chris W , yes when the game is going our way I can see what you are saying, he rotates the ball around the middle of the park and does what he does best, keeps it simple, but what he does not offer and has never in a Villa shirt, is the protection of the back 4, the ability to spot an opponents run and track him back, the breaking up of play by the opponents before it gets into a dangerous position for AVFC, we are at present playing with Ayew, Jack and RMc in a more forward positions, again none of their strengths are winning the ball back once lost, the Jedi has probably been brought in to do part of this,but he cannot do it on his own.
The lack of qualities that Westwood has, has already, will now and going forward cost us dearly.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
As stated by Rose and what a statement to make about a professional footballer
" Westwood for one rarely assists or scores, dribbles, tackles or makes a decisive pass" and thats when he is having a good game.

Chris W , yes when the game is going our way I can see what you are saying, he rotates the ball around the middle of the park and does what he does best, keeps it simple, but what he does not offer and has never in a Villa shirt, is the protection of the back 4, the ability to spot an opponents run and track him back, the breaking up of play by the opponents before it gets into a dangerous position for AVFC, we are at present playing with Ayew, Jack and RMc in a more forward positions, again none of their strengths are winning the ball back once lost, the Jedi has probably been brought in to do part of this,but he cannot do it on his own.
The lack of qualities that Westwood has, has already, will now and going forward cost us dearly.

You've nailed it for me there. This current midfield perhaps wouldn't look so inadequate if we had a striker smashing 'em in for fun, but it's tactical suicide at the moment. I just hope RDM knows this only too well and addresses the glaringly obvious before the transfer window slams firmly shut. His short - & indeed extended - employment may well depend on it.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2016, 01:45:17 PM »

The fact that every single one of our managers since we signed him thinks he contributes sufficiently to pick him.  Of course you'll retort they were all shit managers, but they wouldn't have been managing pl clubs if they didn't have some football knowledge - more than most posters on Internet forums I suspect.  So there is my evidence, thanks.

I've said before I think he adds balance to the team, keeps the ball moving, works hard and is always available as an outlet to a teammate under pressure.  Not every player scores 40 yard screamers or knocks opponents into the stands, you need a balanced team and when we play well Westwood usually looks like he is helping the team tick over.  I'm not saying he's a world beater and of course could be upgraded, but blaming our collapses on him when the manager has signed practically a whole new team is just ridiculous.

Ok mate, fair points.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2016, 02:05:31 PM »
I know we keep coming back to this with Westwood, but you could say most of the criticisms above about Michael carrick too. I think a share of the criticism of Westwood is just that a good chunk of British fans just don't like that kind of player. Personally, I'd have put carrick in the England midfield for years, even if it meant dropping Gerrard or lampard.

Westwood isn't in the same league as carrick. But neither are villa.

Offline django

« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
Our midfield is the least dynamic imaginable. Tshibola might be able to help, but we've got no pace and until Jedinak we've had no physicality.

Westwood keeps things ticking, but he's not particularly quick, particularly strong, his passings not particularly good, he doesn't score goals, or create them, he doesn't run with the ball to create space or put teams on the back foot. He's a passenger.

I was concerned about Ayew after the Huddersfield game, where I thought he looked quite sharp, because I thought even while playing quite well, he doesn't look effective.

If these are still going to be key players Di Matteo needs to find a better system to bring the best out of them.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2016, 02:34:05 PM »
I know yesterday was shit but come on there's 40+ games to go this season, let's not get too hysterical about things.

A fair point. I was furious yesterday. Despite that 4 wins in 45 though, we've created enough chances to have won every game. That's different from last season where we didn't look like we were playing the same sport

Offline supertom

« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2016, 05:08:29 PM »
What's really frustrating about Westwood more than anything was the promise he showed in his first season. Granted he still went missing in games but you could let that pass given his inexperience, but he still ended up with 6 assists which wasn't too shabby given where we'd signed him from. He was looking like a snip, like he could develop into a reasonable Prem midfielder. He's just ghosted his way through the last 3 years though.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
Teams rarely win games playing with ten men. We have rarely won games consistently for precisely the same period Westwood has featured for us.  Not good enough.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2016, 05:22:20 PM »
Correlation is not causation

Besides we didn't win many under MacLeish before Westwood arrived

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal