collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ritchie De Laet - CONFIRMED  (Read 46476 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Ritchie De Laet - CONFIRMED
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
It's entirely possible to argue that De Laet and Elphick aren't the greatest players in the world so going on loan makes some sort of sense.  However, in the context of us having one fit centre back, and having to play the utterly abysmal Jedinak there, who hasn't even performed at a remotely competent level, it makes no sense whatsoever. Bruce is a fucking idiot, and how and why the fool is still here is completely baffling.

De Laet and Elphick are further examples of Bruce's poor squad management as I would have thought they would both be wanted by other clubs.  He obviously doesn't rate or has a problem with them, but instead of either selling them or getting them out on loan to clubs with an option to buy, he's just kept them hanging around before sending them out on loan at the last minute giving us little chance of getting in replacements .  Their loans then finish and the process is repeated all over again.       

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
How much would we save on RDL going on loan. I bet it is next to nothing as we would be paying most of his wages.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
I can't imagine that an Australian club has the financial ability to pick up all of the wages of a player like De Laet, or would have the means to buy him permanently.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
I can't imagine that an Australian club has the financial ability to pick up all of the wages of a player like De Laet, or would have the means to buy him permanently.
Unless they are owned by the Man City group.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
Boggling. RDL must have shagged Bruce’s hair-do to be treated like he has.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »
One less right back in the squad now...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-sign-epl-winner-ritchie-de-laet-20180914-p503pn.html

Utterly mental, option in both full back positions, experienced and surely a very solid player in our division. Yet no doubt that clown Tuanzebe will be selected at right back again on Saturday.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »

Gutted we've lost a fourth choice right back despite some folks spending all summer moaning about the amount we have.

It's RDL people. RITCHIE DE LAET

If getting him off the wage bill helps us bring in a centre back it's a stroke of genius. As with Elphick. Two players 99% on here would've considered bench fodder at best less than two weeks ago.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
Stroke of genius...hmm, sounds more desperation to try and add to the pot to tempt Terry or Robert Hoooot.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Disappointed in this.In fact in everything that Bruce has done.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
Absoloute madness.
Championship winning player, experienced fill in at either full back position, centre half or even midfield at a push leaving us even lighter in defensive positions.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2018, 02:06:03 PM »

Gutted we've lost a fourth choice right back despite some folks spending all summer moaning about the amount we have.

If getting him off the wage bill helps us bring in a centre back it's a stroke of genius. As with Elphick. Two players 99% on here would've considered bench fodder at best less than two weeks ago.

It's been clear for some time that Bruce doesn't rate either of them, so why not try and move them over in the summer and use the money to bring in a centre half?  Thanks to our stockpile of right backs, we don't need to replace De Laet so the money for both could have gone to find Chester a partner.  As it was, Elphick went out just before the window closed and De Laet after, leaving us with very few options.  Another example of poor squad management and planning.   

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure Bruce said today that they would've preferred 'deals' with fees than loans. But as no club came forward for either that just tells you how useless both must be seen by other clubs as well surely?. I doubt we've spent all summer desperately fending off bids for either only to then loan them out at the death.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure Bruce said today that they would've preferred 'deals' with fees than loans. But as no club came forward for either that just tells you how useless both must be seen by other clubs as well surely?. I doubt we've spent all summer desperately fending off bids for either only to then loan them out at the death.

Maybe, but I would have thought both would have had interest to be honest.  Whether they would have been interested in going and taking a potential pay cut is another question of course. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2018, 03:21:09 PM »

The slight problem there being that plenty of people have been saying for a fair while that RDL should've been given a run of games in the team so you're making shit up to suggest that people are pretending to think this is a bad decision so they can have a pop at Bruce.  I've said many times I think he's the best full back we own and he'd have given us extra pace in defence, which we've been frighteningly short of for a number of years.  I don't judge Bruce badly for sending him on loan, I judge him badly for buying 2 right backs, giving a 3rd an extra year on his contract and then bringing in a centre back and playing him out of position at right back ahead of all of them when none of them are better than RDL.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
I've no idea whether he's any good because for some reason he's never been given much of a chance. I find it hard to believe he isn't better than what I've seen from Hutton and Tuanzebe and if he isn't then why has Bruce been allowed to sign any players?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal