collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bristol City  (Read 5337 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Bristol City
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
And all the top half of the holte looking towards the park ha ha

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
I've only two memories of games v Bristol City.  One was at Ashton Gate in about 1978 when Brian Little scored a marvellous goal, delightfully caught on camera by Terry Weir, which someone brighter than me will surely be able to post up here.  The other was a home game around the same era, when a couple of hundred Birmingham fans turned up (their game at Derby having been called off) and occupied a pen at the Witton End.

I remember the occasion only too well I ended up getting thumped outside by an unwashed.  I remember Small Heath doing the conga in the Witton.  Around Feb time, in that era a lot of games were getting called off including quite a number at Villa Park (Spurs, Leeds etc)

I remember that game where as you say a couple of hundred noses decided to come and support Bristol City - I remember them doing the konga - and didn't they leave at half time ?

That's what I recall, yes.

Definitely. I recall the strange sight of a few hundred Noses clad vaguely in blue greeting a bemused Bristol City team from the right side of the Witton End. I was wondering what would happen at full time but they left at the interval.

IIRC we won 1-0 or 2-0. A dull game.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 05:48:03 PM »
Fed up chatting about bloose so back to burystoke or how they speak.   I remember they used to play what was like a man Utd kit with black shorts.  Did we draw their first game against us in the top division?  And their wersell song as they came out onto the pitch. The only players of note I can recall Ritchie up front Gerry gow and a dick as manager

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 07:08:47 PM »
I wasn't even 1 when we last played Bristol City so I've got nothing on them. I did go to Ashton Gate at the end of the 14/15 season to see them beat Walsall 8-2. To think we are playing them in a league game 15 months later is a bit galling!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 09:55:02 PM »
I think Eamonn Deacy scored his only goal for us against them.

I don't recall him scoring against Bristol City but I'm sure he got one in a 3-2 win at home to Norwich around 1983. It may even have been one of his last games for us.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 10:02:47 PM »
Pretty sure that Norwich goal was his only one for us in any competition. He played about 15 more games the next season for us though.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »
Pretty sure that Norwich goal was his only one for us in any competition. He played about 15 more games the next season for us though.

IIRC he also scored a 20 yarder at the Holte in a 1981 friendly v Rapid Vienna or Austria Vienna.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 07:28:07 AM »

IIRC he also scored a 20 yarder at the Holte in a 1981 friendly v Rapid Vienna or Austria Vienna.

I was at Wigan's old Springfield Park ground for a Villa cup game in the early 1980s and I thought Eamonn played in midfield that night and scored the winner in a 1-0 victory. Mind you, it's a long time ago and my memory may be failing me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 02:02:09 PM »

I was at Wigan's old Springfield Park ground for a Villa cup game in the early 1980s and I thought Eamonn played in midfield that night and scored the winner in a 1-0 victory. Mind you, it's a long time ago and my memory may be failing me.

I'm pretty sure Peter Withe got the only goal that night.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure Peter Withe got the only goal that night.

2-1 win. Cowans penalty and Withe. Deacy did play.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/wigan-athletic-v-aston-villa-01-december-1981-30798/

But if we are now going to move on to talking about Cup games at Springfield Park, then what about Nii Lamptey ?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »
Nii Lamptey, 'The Ghanian Pele'. Nii Cooper 'The Scottish Pele'.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
Nii Lamptey, 'The Ghanian Pele'. Nii Cooper 'The Scottish Pele'.

Anybody remember Brazil's Tostao from the 1970 World Cup - "the white Pele!"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal