collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 10:51:16 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:36:44 PM]

NSWE Investment by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 10:36:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 10:33:16 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:27:37 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bristol City  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Bristol City
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »
http://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Bristol%20City/

Not too many memories, we haven't played them since 1982.

Went to Ashton Gate a few days after the famed 4-1 win at Tottenham in August 1978. I only recall it because we went to Spurs on Wednesday, the Oval on Thursday for Eng v NZ, then Reading festival for the weekend with a quick trip along the M4 for the game.

We lost 4-2 at home as season 67/68 fizzled out and I think it was one of the first games where Dad let me go in The Holte instead of being with him in The Trinity.

Alan Dicks was the manager for years. Would have been amusing to have heard their fans calling for him to be sacked ... snigger.

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Bristol City
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:48:58 PM »
I was at that 4-2 defeat in 1967-68 - it was one of my first games in the Trinity.

Re Alan Dicks, at university a Geordie mate of mine told me that Dicks either ended up at Newcastle, or was being lined up, around the time of Arthur Cox. He reckoned the chants were of "Cox out, Dicks in"

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:48:05 AM »
I was also at that game in the 67/68 season, it was near the end of the season and we lost 4-2. I still have the programme.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:58:19 AM »
I was at the cup tie in 1982 where we won 1-0 (if memory is correct Andy Blair, scored our goal)

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
I was at the cup tie in 1982 where we won 1-0 (if memory is correct Andy Blair, scored our goal)

I was at the cup tie in 1982, my only visit to Ashton Gate, I sat in their main stand (in the days when you could).  At full time a supporter of theirs behind me said to me "you were lucky, you won't win the FA Cup this year" - to which I responded "well, let's put it like this, you definitely won't".

(was our winning goal fairly late on ?)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM »

I was at the cup tie in 1982, my only visit to Ashton Gate, I sat in their main stand (in the days when you could).  At full time a supporter of theirs behind me said to me "you were lucky, you won't win the FA Cup this year" - to which I responded "well, let's put it like this, you definitely won't".

I seem to recall being at this one as an 11yr old - Is this the game where they turned the floodlights off as soon as the game was finished?

We played in white?

I think it was down to the fact that they were strapped for cash! Hazy recollections of this one - I think I was in the Main stand too.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »

I seem to recall being at this one as an 11yr old - Is this the game where they turned the floodlights off as soon as the game was finished?

We played in white?

I think it was down to the fact that they were strapped for cash! Hazy recollections of this one - I think I was in the Main stand too.

Andy Blair may have played, but I remember Gary Shaw definitely scoring the only goal of the game.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:29:06 AM »

Me too as a very hung over 16 yr old. Had my first visit to a pub the nigh before and puked up all over the bed. Parents weren't impressed. Happy days for me though

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
I've only two memories of games v Bristol City.  One was at Ashton Gate in about 1978 when Brian Little scored a marvellous goal, delightfully caught on camera by Terry Weir, which someone brighter than me will surely be able to post up here.  The other was a home game around the same era, when a couple of hundred Birmingham fans turned up (their game at Derby having been called off) and occupied a pen at the Witton End.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
I've only two memories of games v Bristol City.  One was at Ashton Gate in about 1978 when Brian Little scored a marvellous goal, delightfully caught on camera by Terry Weir, which someone brighter than me will surely be able to post up here.  The other was a home game around the same era, when a couple of hundred Birmingham fans turned up (their game at Derby having been called off) and occupied a pen at the Witton End.

Not that I'm in any way brighter.

Online ez

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
I think Eamonn Deacy scored his only goal for us against them.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 08:21:17 PM »

I remember the occasion only too well I ended up getting thumped outside by an unwashed.  I remember Small Heath doing the conga in the Witton.  Around Feb time, in that era a lot of games were getting called off including quite a number at Villa Park (Spurs, Leeds etc)

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 08:26:45 PM »
Turning to the main event Ashton Gate - I don't think I missed a game from Div 1 onwards  against them. 

In the pre-season before the start of their season Bristol City staged some friendly kind of football knockout at Ashton Gate.  I should have listened to what a couple of West Ham fans told me that the place was iffy rather than think it was merely a small family club. 

We used to occupy half of the open end which is now their main end, outside is a park and as anyone knows parks and football cause heads to turn to vindaloo - this knob  was looking to practice his new found kung foo moves on me - he would have been in his 20's me a 15 year old.  Such was football awaydays in that era still much  better than today though.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »

I remember the occasion only too well I ended up getting thumped outside by an unwashed.  I remember Small Heath doing the conga in the Witton.  Around Feb time, in that era a lot of games were getting called off including quite a number at Villa Park (Spurs, Leeds etc)

I remember that game where as you say a couple of hundred noses decided to come and support Bristol City - I remember them doing the konga - and didn't they leave at half time ?

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 12:25:48 PM »

I remember that game where as you say a couple of hundred noses decided to come and support Bristol City - I remember them doing the konga - and didn't they leave at half time ?

That's what I recall, yes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal