collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rio Paralympics  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Rio Paralympics
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this - my brother in law coaches the Boccia team so is off on his jollies so I'm hoping they do well. I find it all inspiring and makes my grumbles about dodgy knees seem irrelevant. The C4 coverage is normally excellent for this and I hope the schedule allows for some evening viewing of live events in the UK.
Love the track and field although I'll spend most of my time trying to work out the difference between wheelchair basketball and rugby. Brutal.

Anyway, in case you haven't seen it:

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Rio Paralympics
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:58 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this - my brother in law coaches the Boccia team so is off on his jollies so I'm hoping they do well. I find it all inspiring and makes my grumbles about dodgy knees seem irrelevant. The C4 coverage is normally excellent for this and I hope the schedule allows for some evening viewing of live events in the UK.
Love the track and field although I'll spend most of my time trying to work out the difference between wheelchair basketball and rugby. Brutal.

What a wonderful trailer.Quite inspiring.I hope the Brazilian people turn up in their droves to support these athletes from all parts of this planet.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
The trailer is truly brilliant isn't it.  I think we'll be just as dominant in this was we were in the olympics, Hannah Cockroft (in the wheelchair near the start) has got to be the shortest odds for a favourite ever in sport, world records in 100, 200, 400 and 800 and has won every title she's contested for 5 years, she's genuinely in a class of her own.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this -
Apparently the people of Rio aren't..........

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this -
Apparently the people of Rio aren't..........

Only because all the parking spaces will be taken.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »
The trailer is truly brilliant isn't it.  I think we'll be just as dominant in this was we were in the olympics, Hannah Cockroft (in the wheelchair near the start) has got to be the shortest odds for a favourite ever in sport, world records in 100, 200, 400 and 800 and has won every title she's contested for 5 years, she's genuinely in a class of her own.

and when our Paralympic athletes come back triumphant  the parade should be dealt with by the second city of Birmingham who will do them proud. Perhaps Mr Bolt could be invited by the city council to add his majestic presence to the proceedings.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
Looking forward to this. Have heard Oscar Pistorius is the man to beat in the shooting.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »
I think it was Jimmy Carr that made a gag that we only invaded Afghanistan in order to acquire a world class Paralympic team.

When does it start?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Wheelchair Rugby was originally called Murderball. A tough sport

Two Paralympians from Lyd that I know off

Jack Rutter in the football (NB - he used to play for Small Heath, but I won't hold that against him)

http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/paralympics/captaining-gb-paralympic-football-team-will-be-my-proudest-moment-after-punch-on-night-out-ended-a3334216.html

Andy Lewis

https://twitter.com/Bladerunnerandy?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I've never met the bloke but going by his press interviews he seems to have bit of an ego

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 04:03:22 PM »
A friend of mine is volunteering at the tennis.  The accommodation doesn't look the most appealing.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:18:18 PM »
We seem to be absolutely pissing this again.  More gold than Swiss bank vaults after World War Two.

We should really let some other countries have a go at winning.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 07:48:56 AM »
Wheelchair table tennis last night was great as well as the swimming - this may sound patronising but I am completely humbled by the competitors.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
Mens B Individual Pursuit gold last night.
Couldn't help but wonder why there were 2 men on a tandem for an individual event? 
And the front rider is blind and yet wears a tinted visor on his aero helmet?

Swimming last night I think it was the 400metres freestyle our girl broke the WR in second place was a 1 armed girl who was maybe 1.5 seconds behind the winner, amazing.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
Couldn't help but wonder why there were 2 men on a tandem for an individual event? 

Swimming last night I think it was the 400metres freestyle our girl broke the WR in second place was a 1 armed girl who was maybe 1.5 seconds behind the winner, amazing.

First question it's a safety thing, I haven't watched it this time but I think the back rider doesn't actually do anything other than make sure the bike stays on the track.  That's how it was when my cousin (well, cousin-in-law) was involved.

The second question is an easy one, it's because 'blind' is a spectrum so the visibility is different across the field, the visor counters that to ensure everyone is has the same restriction.  My cousin for example (he was in the track squad for a couple of years before switching to blind football after a tragedy) could see about 5-6 yards in a 25-30 degree field in front of him but anything to the sides was blurs (I use past tense because he's worse now than he was in 2008).  That qualifies him for blind events but he's obviously got an advantage over someone with absolutely no sight so the visors/blindfolds are to account for it.

Oh and here's a story about him - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7573969.stm - explains why he left cycling as well.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »

First question it's a safety thing, I haven't watched it this time but I think the back rider doesn't actually do anything other than make sure the bike stays on the track.  That's how it was when my cousin (well, cousin-in-law) was involved.

The second question is an easy one, it's because 'blind' is a spectrum so the visibility is different across the field, the visor counters that to ensure everyone is has the same restriction.  My cousin for example (he was in the track squad for a couple of years before switching to blind football after a tragedy) could see about 5-6 yards in a 25-30 degree field in front of him but anything to the sides was blurs (I use past tense because he's worse now than he was in 2008).  That qualifies him for blind events but he's obviously got an advantage over someone with absolutely no sight so the visors/blindfolds are to account for it.

Oh and here's a story about him - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7573969.stm - explains why he left cycling as well.

Cheers paul_e.  That story about your cousin is terrible and inspiring at the same time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal