collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Derby County  (Read 2869 times)

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Derby County
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:49:21 PM »
Last time we played a second division game with Derby was at the end of 68/69. They beat us 1-0. The Doc had performed The Great Escape and we were virtually safe after relegation had looked a certainty. Clough getting them promoted would have been the highlight of his young managerial career to date. Derby fans packed out the Witton End and there were 50,000 in the ground. I guess my Dad probably sniffed at such a "poor attendance" as he was in the ground for the 1946 FA game.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Derby%20County/

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:53:29 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Derby County
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:08:08 PM »
I was at this game in the Trinity enclosure. I was 6 and had only been to a handful of games by then and my major memory is of the packed crowd and the bog rolls being thrown on the pitch when they scored

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »
Last time we played a second division game with Derby was at the end of 68/69. They beat us 1-0. The Doc had performed The Great Escape and we were virtually safe after relegation had looked a certainty. Clough getting them promoted would have been the highlight of his young managerial career to date. Derby fans packed out the Witton End and there were 50,000 in the ground. I guess my Dad probably sniffed at such a "poor attendance" as he was in the ground for the 1946 FA game.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Derby%20County/

I was there in the Witton End. As we left a Derbyshire fan tried to steal my Villa scarf. My ten year old brother ,Paul (GOD rest his soul) , went for the full grown Derbyshire fan with both feet and fists at the same time. We kept the scarf.

Online steamer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »
I was also at the game with my Dad.
We had gone on a coach from Coventry.
We stood on the Holte and It is part of my formulative memories of huge crowds swaying, football smells (Bovril) and masses of people streaming up Witton lane.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:40:15 AM »
I had a ticket for Derby away on Boxing Day and couldn't make it due to sickness but can't remember what year. We won 2-0 I think and Darius Vassell scored as well I think. Does anyone know what year this was?

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 11:08:47 AM »
At the Derby game, 29/3/69; att 49,110. In the Trinity Road standing enclosure near as possible to the centre by the half way line with my younger, and sadly late brother. Felt disappointed with the defeat at the time, but then we did not know what a good manager Clough would turn out to be.

Still a couple of weeks later made up for it when we saw a 1-0 win (Simmons) in the last home game of the season vs SHA. Att 52,772.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
I had a ticket for Derby away on Boxing Day and couldn't make it due to sickness but can't remember what year. We won 2-0 I think and Darius Vassell scored as well I think. Does anyone know what year this was?

I've mentioned this before but a mate of mine a few years older than me used to talk about that game. If I remember right he reckoned Mull Of Kintyre was the Christmas number one and the Villa fans were singing it at that game. My main memories of going to Derby are Cascarino's debut and the high scoring (3-4 if I remember right) cup tie under BFR. I seem to recall standing for the first of those games and sitting (possibly on bench seating like Maine Road) for the second.

Sorry, just read your post properly and realised we are clearly talking about a different Boxing Day!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:20:05 AM by Damo70 »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »

I think it was Boxing Day 1999 - it was the first time I took my nephew to an away game.

Vassell and Taylor scored in the 2nd half at the away end.

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 08:03:06 PM »

I've mentioned this before but a mate of mine a few years older than me used to talk about that game. If I remember right he reckoned Mull Of Kintyre was the Christmas number one and the Villa fans were singing it at that game. My main memories of going to Derby are Cascarino's debut and the high scoring (3-4 if I remember right) cup tie under BFR. I seem to recall standing for the first of those games and sitting (possibly on bench seating like Maine Road) for the second.

Sorry, just read your post properly and realised we are clearly talking about a different Boxing Day!

The Mull of Kintyre game was Christmas week 1977. A 3-0 away win for us. That song featured heavily.We packed out the side of the ground.I particularly remember it as I cut my head open on the low roof at the back of the stand celebrating the third goal. Then l must have let slip where l was going on a first date that night. We were joined in The Costermonger by a good proportion  of the guys from the Soccer Special who'd stayed on in town (it didn't last!)

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »
September 90 is the only time I went to the Baseball ground. Bit lively on the walk back into town.
osmasdton stand or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:21:08 PM by four fornicholl »

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 09:34:25 PM »

They don't build 'em like this anymore.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »

Great pic thanks Andy.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »
My Nan is from Derby so always had a soft spot for them. My only trip to the Baseball Ground was Apr 97 when we lost 2-1. Paul McGrath played for them then.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:57:20 PM »
The scorers in the 2-0 win at Xmas '99 were Boateng & Taylor.

Vassell, (a sub, I think?) had a good game and made the first goal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »

Cheers for posting that. It confirms my memories of standing in the lower part for Cascarino's debut and sitting in the upper part for the high scoring cup tie under BFR.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal