collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is the Championship friendlier ?  (Read 10433 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Is the Championship friendlier ?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »
Not the most friendliest of fans, as anyone who has been there will tell you.

The City fans have been fine whenever I've been to Aston Gate. Can't remember seeing any trouble.

There should be a statue of me outside Ashton Gate. I spent thirty seasons managing them on Championship manager 2000, taking them from the bottom division to the top flight and winning more Premier League titles and Champions League titles than Alex Ferguson. My main man was a free transfer striker from Spurs by the name of Dave McEwan who I picked up as a youngster for free. I must Google him as I have never heard of him in the real football world. Obviously he couldn't do it in the real football world.
are the players not all automatically generated by the time you are 30 saesons in?!!

Yes, but Dave McEwan was a youngster who 'played for me' from my first season (on loan at first - and yes I am aware how sad I am in remembering that!) for over a decade and scored as many goals per game in a season, every season as Christiano Ronaldo does in Spain.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »

I will admit it took a while for the penny to drop but I salute you. Brilliant.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
Two home matches in and I must say that the atmosphere in and around the ground, before and after the games 'feels' much friendlier than it has done for a long,long time.

Away fans seem to want to chat in the pub before the game, on the approach to the ground, and surprisingly after the game walking away from VP.

Maybe its just my perception, but its definitely an improvement on previous years.

I sure it'll all be just as personable when the 'Rags' and 'Dingles' come to play  ;) 

I've been thinking the same.  I've never seen so many away fans proudly displaying their colours around Villa Park, and thankfully I've not heard them get any grief.

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 03:00:30 PM »

I fell asleep watching them at the Odeon...

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »

I remember my first ever visit there would be the year they came up 78?  Well I think we either drew or lost but outside some fella was wanting to practice his kung foo moves on me and I was only a 16 year old.  Couldn't agree more that they fancy themselves that way.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
The weather has helped! Nice to be at a night match in a t-shirt and feeling hot...

Can even go full kit!  agreed hope stays good till mid december when get to play in qpr london matches but doubt it! 

Maybe that's why the demographic . Friendly northern folk. From smaller regional teams. (And not London ) or the more glamour clubs. I do wonder how Cardiff and Leeds fans are like always seem quite wild too me

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 08:19:19 PM »
well sha seem to make friends everywhere they go.

Online itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:09:04 PM »

I remember my first ever visit there would be the year they came up 78?  Well I think we either drew or lost but outside some fella was wanting to practice his kung foo moves on me and I was only a 16 year old.  Couldn't agree more that they fancy themselves that way.

I was there. Lost 1-0, much trouble in the streets outside. Think a young Gary Shaw came on as sub, might have been his debut?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 12:07:12 AM »
I was at an Albion game about 15 or 16 years ago when they decided they'd had enough and jumped the barrier in the Smethwick End to give the Stripey Tatters a bit of hiding.

They're a rough bunch and I agree that a minority of their fans have the mind set that they see themselves as being handy, so it means they must prove it. Like Leeds and knobbers of that ilk only smaller. The end result is they all have to catch a coach for their local derby with Cardiff.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 08:39:38 AM »
Works both ways as I don't hate most of the Championship sides, whereas I dislike nearly all the teams in the Premier League.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »

The City fans have been fine whenever I've been to Aston Gate. Can't remember seeing any trouble.

Went there once on crutches late 70's- after a few drinks had to use a public toilet near the ground (across from the notorious park) and became aware that there was group "mobbing up" in there - they sussed me and a couple moved in for the kill only to be pulled off by a weedy little fecker who berated them for their cowardly behaviour and slapped me on the back for having the balls to turn up injured - I hobbled off somewhat relieved - we drew 1-1.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 08:57:49 AM »
I was at an Albion game about 15 or 16 years ago when they decided they'd had enough and jumped the barrier in the Smethwick End to give the Stripey Tatters a bit of hiding.

They're a rough bunch and I agree that a minority of their fans have the mind set that they see themselves as being handy, so it means they must prove it. Like Leeds and knobbers of that ilk only smaller. The end result is they all have to catch a coach for their local derby with Cardiff.

Aren't they the lot who "took it to" a Millwall pub when they weren't playing them? Lobbed a pub sign through the window on  Thursday night or similar?

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »
Loved Bristol City when I went there with Preston and found it really friendly and fun.

Bristol is a great place - I've lived here for 30 years, though Brum is still 'home' - but some City supporters are horrible, and that is the description used by a mate who has a season ticket there.

Most are fine and I've lots of mates who go there regularly and the club is well run, good academy etc. but some of there fans are, well, 'horrible' - not especially violent, just gobby and trying all the time to look and act threatening. A bit of a throwback really.

Which could make it entertaining as presently I can't get a ticket for the Villa section so most likely will end up in with City supporters and could well be spotted by someone who knows me as a Villa fan.

Rovers are the opposite - other than when they play City.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
Probably with less money being thrown about and a bit of more chance of more than a few teams being able to compete then chances are there would be a friendlier atmosphere at least at some grounds.  I think with a change in culture and so much importance being placed on winning football matches and being part of an elite group than fans do take football too seriously nowadays and as a result you tend to get a negative atmosphere and a bunch of idoits who often are not true supporters.  Sure it still happens in the Championship with certain clubs but maybe not as much.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal