collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mile Jedinak - Released  (Read 169804 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Mile Jedinak - signed
« Reply #1080 on: October 01, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
DCM. His best position. Play him there.  It's a good idea. Honestly.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1081 on: October 02, 2018, 01:15:59 AM »
Well done on his international career and it's a good move so he can enjoy this international break working on his center back play.

Miile statement:
I can confirm that after much deliberation I have made the decision to retire from playing international football.
As a young boy growing up it was my dream to play for Australia and to pull on the famous green and gold shirt to represent my country. To have been given the opportunity to not only fulfil that dream, but to have done it 79 times, and many of which as captain, makes me incredibly proud and thankful.
The countless unbelievable moments that I have experienced will stay with me forever, and I can honestly say that looking back I’ve had some of the best times of my life on the pitch playing for the Socceroos.
It is an enormous privilege to represent your country and one I did not take lightly. Words will never be able to do justice the feeling of immense pride I felt when representing Australia. I gave everything I had in every single game I played to try and achieve success for our nation.
However, after a huge amount of time reflecting and discussing with those closest with me, I feel that it is the right time to move aside in order to focus on my club football and prolonging that journey.
Looking back, I feel blessed to be able to leave with memories that will last a lifetime. The feeling of captaining our country to Asian Cup glory in 2015, and to have been able to contribute to achieving success for Australia, will stay with me forever. Additionally being able to captain the team, and score, in two World Cups is something I could only have dreamed about as a boy. There are just too many highlights to mention them all.
I would like to thank all of those who helped make it all possible. Thank you to everyone at the FFA, the team management and all of my teammates throughout the years. It’s been an incredible journey alongside you all. Thank you to my family for your unwavering love and support throughout my international career.
And finally I have to say a special thank you to the Australian fans for believing in me and supporting me through thick and thin. I’ve tried to do you all proud every time I’ve stepped out on to the pitch. We have an exciting generation of players coming through and I now can’t wait to support the team in the future 🇦🇺

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1082 on: October 04, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
Great article here about his Aussie role and retirement:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/02/mile-jedinak-an-exemplar-leader-for-australian-sport

The beauty of football – and sport in general – is its ability to reflect humanity. A mere game can reveal both individual and collective strengths and flaws in character, as well as overall philosophy and outlook. In the moment, there was already something patently echoic about Mile Jedinak’s penalty against Denmark at the World Cup in June.
Looking back, with Jedinak having announced his retirement from international football on Monday, it takes on an added gravity.

Incensed over a VAR decision to give the Socceroos a penalty and lifeline in a crucial match, there stood Kasper Schmeichel, doing everything he could to impose himself – his father’s son. Yet across from him, Jedinak maintained composure and focus. The Australian captain converted, as he had done every time he was tasked with penalty duties for the national team. The perfect penalty record for the Socceroos tells a story on its own, but that moment was particularly illustrative. That glare back at Schmeichel after restoring parity highlighted that, beneath that composure and focus, laid a relentless passion and determination.

When one puts into context everything that had transpired in his career leading to that moment, it was a perfect encapsulation of Mile Jedinak the footballer, captain and person.
Making an impression at the prestigious Kvarnerska Rivijera youth tournament, he signed for Varteks Varaždin in Croatia at the age of 18. Within the first few months of the 2003-04 season however, Varteks coach Dražen Besek was replaced by the erratic Miroslav Blažević, who almost immediately banished Jedinak. Then, the homecoming to Sydney United, the New South Wales Premier League title and the regular commute from Western Sydney to Gosford to simply earn a contract with the Central Coast Mariners.
The story is now well-known.

What remains worth noting, though, is Jedinak has earned everything along the way since that return to Australia. His career path – including the return from a European move that has stagnated many a career in Australian football – reflects Jedinak’s irrepressible drive. The 34-year-old is a model not only of dedication, but of respect and belief – in oneself and others. Emerging from that kind of setback to be a part of the 2015 Asian Cup triumph – arguably the Socceroos’ greatest achievement to this point – makes for one of the best stories in Australian sport, let alone lifting the trophy as captain.

Then again, that mix of drive, focus and poise is exactly why Jedinak was captain of the Australian national team to begin with – an exemplar of the “when he speaks, everyone listens” theory. His selection as the Socceroos’ skipper is only more important when held up in contrast to Australian football and sport as a whole. Following the fractious episode of Lucas Neill vs the Australian Public, what the Socceroos needed was a leader like Jedinak, especially in the midst of sweeping generational transition.  His selection as captain under Ange Postecoglou represented a significant departure from what is the norm in Australian sport, because if seniority and talent solely formed the criteria, Tim Cahill would likely have succeeded Neill.

Despite Cahill’s public profile, what Jedinak helped provide to players coming through like Trent Sainsbury, Matthew Leckie and most recently Daniel Arzani, was a steady grounding. Jedinak was not necessarily the best player whenever he pulled on the Australian shirt, but he was without doubt the best character, and the Socceroos were instantly better for his presence. When you compare him to talented but flawed leaders in recent Australian sporting history – from Ricky Ponting and Ben Cousins, to Michael Hooper and David Warner – Jedinak is as distinct as his beard.

There has been a visible physical decline in recent years, but Jedinak’s positional awareness was something the Socceroos always needed, so much so that playing him as a central defender was potentially a logical adjustment. Though he definitely has talent, Jedinak’s defining characteristic as a footballer and how that manifested within the framework of a national team squad was his intelligence, in both tactical and interpersonal senses.

The Socceroos are arguably the greatest sporting reflection of this country and Jedinak handled the role of captain with wisdom and dignity – even in the most testing of moments when he was dubbed Aussie Mike. His exit before this January’s Asian Cup, instead of pushing on for another major tournament, is only a continuation of that.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1083 on: October 20, 2018, 07:00:32 AM »
He's clearly a defensive midfielder and not a centre back

But he's also not at all a Dean Smith type midfielder. He's just not mobile or good enough on the ball

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he rarely plays and when he does it's at centre back

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1084 on: October 22, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
Yep I think both Mile and Whelan must've sat on the bench on Saturday watching the substitutions happening and realised their days at Aston Villa are numbered.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #1085 on: October 22, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »
Yep I think both Mile and Whelan must've sat on the bench on Saturday watching the substitutions happening and realised their days at Aston Villa are numbered.
I don't believe they would have been on the bench, if they were not in D.S. plans at some stage.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1086 on: October 22, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
At the moment, Jedi has to be on the bench as the reserve centre back. Having Whelan there was more of a surprise to me. I expected to see Cheese Boy or Henri

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1087 on: October 22, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »
Attacking football or not, there'll still be times where Jedinak is perfectly useful coming on for the final 15 minutes to see out a game, so don't see any real need to keep him off the bench entirely.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1088 on: October 22, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »
He's the best midfield anchor at the club.  He'll be vital in many games to come when we're up against more fluid attacking teams.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1089 on: October 22, 2018, 12:27:08 PM »
Best way n the air as an anchor, Whelan overall is better. Forget derby last season he is heads and tails above mile

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #1090 on: October 22, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
A good manager will still use the Jedinak and Whelan when the time’s right, espaiclly tough away games. They both have their uses. I hope and think Dean will know this.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #1091 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
At the moment, Jedi has to be on the bench as the reserve centre back. Having Whelan there was more of a surprise to me. I expected to see Cheese Boy or Henri

Cheese Boy?

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #1092 on: October 22, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
I may be in the minority here, but I’ve always quite liked Lansbury and would like to see him feature a bit more. He’s another player who has received a bit of stick, but hasn’t really ever had a good run of minutes. Well not recently anyway. The cabbage signing 6 central midfielders when we already had a few hasn’t helped any of them. McGinn (the last signing) seemingly being the only one who’s a definite starter.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1093 on: October 22, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »

Cheese Boy?

Gary Stilton. Been impressing in the U23s.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1094 on: October 22, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »

Cheese Boy?

Gary Stilton. Been impressing in the U23s.

Unkindly nicknamed Blue Vein.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal