collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:40:20 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: BBC Sports Personality Of The Year  (Read 46676 times)

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
Re: BBC Sports Personality Of The Year
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »
I cant see a footballer winning in an Olympic year where we also won Wimbledon and probably the F1 world championship too and completely flopped at the Euros. So that rules out Vardy. 

It wont be Mo. He just isn't very likeable and has developed a chip on his shoulder. He's also tainted by the Salazar drug thing. For clarity, I don't believe he is a drugs cheat and am in awe of his achievements but now is not the time to be awarding SPOTY to a track and field athlete.

Kenny is in pole position just because we Brits love to reward "all-time greats" and enjoy a good love story. But it could equally go to Laura Trott - who is on a different planet to her rivals. Froome will be overlooked until he wins a couple more TdFs and then he'll be assured of the title (see "all-time greats").

Whitlock will get nominated but his achievements aren't quite Kenny/Trott-esque yet so that's a no.

Murray's achievements are up there with any of them but he won recently and that will go against him (see also, Hamilton).

So its Kenny for me. His self-deprecating style gives him an extra boost.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »
I think the Team GB Cycling team could well win the team award. I think every one of them won a medal.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
I was too drained to post this last night, drained having gone round every lap with Trott and Kenny

Joint winners Trott and Kenny, why not?  The winner must surely be a cyclist or cyclists.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
Andy Murray - Olympic gold, Wimbledon champion, Davis Cup winner - 29 out of 30 match wins - 18 on the trot. Say no more....

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 02:37:18 PM »
I'm not sure about that with Mo, if he retains the 5k he'll be only the 2nd person in history to defend both distance events and the last time (72 and 76) was with a much smaller field before the african countries has really got involved.  As an achievement it's right up there with Bolt and would be the biggest story of the games.

The rest of the comment about him is down to the fact that knowing you're the best and delivering just isn't very British, we prefer an underdog. I understand that but I don't like it, knowing how good you are and using that to be confident (not cocky or 'chip on his shoulder') is something that should be encouraged but only when it's backed up by performances.

For example if Jason Kenny wants to spend the next year or 2 telling everyone he's the best track cyclist ever and  wins when he wants to then fair enough, he's earned that right by beating the best in the world repeatedly.  It's cockiness (and a bad trait) when it comes from a twunt like Wilshere who has a career consisting of fuck all and yet thinks he's somehow world class.

I'm not saying Mo will win it I'm just saying that he should be right near the top of the list because he'll have achieved something truly spectacular.  Kenny, Trott and Murray are all in the same boat and I stil lthink Peaty will be well in the mix because, whilst he doesn't have the length of time at the top, his domination of his event in the last 2 years is so extreme.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 02:40:13 PM »
I think the Team GB Cycling team could well win the team award. I think every one of them won a medal.

I agree with this, an excellent team effort even more so when it pisses the Germans and Aussies off

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »

I agree with this, an excellent team effort even more so when it pisses the Germans and Aussies off

I think it will be a disgrace if they don't win the team award, 11 medals when the next best got 2 is freakish domination and the cyclists, coaches and team management (and everyone else involved) deserve to put on a pedestal as the greatest team we've ever produced in any sport.

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »
The Davis Cup was last year and he duly won it for that reason. He also won a few years back and no one has ever won it 3 times. To do that he'd have to have the record of Federer or Serena.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »
The Davis Cup was last year and he duly won it for that reason. He also won a few years back and no one has ever won it 3 times. To do that he'd have to have the record of Federer or Serena.
Add the weight of the Scottish vote and I reckon he will probably win it.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
Mo for me, especially if he wins the 5k, he also seems to have a personality.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 10:15:29 PM »

It should be sewn up but Leicester will have a shout at that too.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 10:22:05 PM »
Leicester all day for me. Although they were excellent, the cycling team were expected to win loads of medals, Leicester did something no one thought possible, and did it by 10 points.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 10:36:36 PM »
How about a collective of all the GB medal winners? Other than that Mo Farah or Leicester for me. The achievement of Leicester shouldn't be undermined as it won't happen again in my lifetime I imagine (I'm 30) although if a "personality" means one person then I think perhaps Farah or a wiggins should win it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »
Everyone has a personality. In this context it's just a gender-neutral way of saying which sport star has performed best and nothing to do with how exciting or nice they are.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 11:32:54 PM »
I think the overseas SPOTY should go to the lifeguard in the swimming.  Never put a foot (fin) wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal