collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: First Press-ing  (Read 6565 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: First Press-ing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:28:45 PM »
Done.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 11:36:51 PM »
Done what?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »
Done what?

Fallen over and broken something seeing as it's Legion.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
Good stuff Dave, and I agree about Jack's goal - it almost felt like a piss-off to the whole notion of Villa in the second tier.

In fact, what I liked most about it was the arrogance. It took him so long before he eventually nudged it in, like he could barely condescend to do so. We should be gracious to the so-called lesser teams (I mean, let's face it, how many have we lost to recently?), but we could use a bit of swagger and superiority about us this season. Players will be intimidated by VP - we need to ram home that advantage.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 11:53:48 PM »
Good stuff Dave, and I agree about Jack's goal - it almost felt like a piss-off to the whole notion of Villa in the second tier.

In fact, what I liked most about it was the arrogance. It took him so long before he eventually nudged it in, like he could barely condescend to do so. We should be gracious to the so-called lesser teams (I mean, let's face it, how many have we lost to recently?), but we could use a bit of swagger and superiority about us this season. Players will be intimidated by VP - we need to ram home that advantage.

That's how I feel as well. You know Newcastle are going to piss people off with their attitude so let's make friends and win graciously.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 11:56:40 PM »
There's a lot to be said for trying to be the anti-Newcastle in all sorts of ways (though not in attendance, to be fair - 52,000 in the second tier is preposterous).

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 12:10:27 AM »
Their players were like their fans. They came to gawp at the stadium and take it all in. They didn't believe they could compete so they barely tried.

We need to keep the winning going at home so that more sides at this level look at the fixture list, see us at Villa Park as their next and think "bugger, who've we got the week after that lot?".

Online tomd2103

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 02:03:13 AM »
Their players were like their fans. They came to gawp at the stadium and take it all in. They didn't believe they could compete so they barely tried.

We need to keep the winning going at home so that more sides at this level look at the fixture list, see us at Villa Park as their next and think "bugger, who've we got the week after that lot?".

As Dave said in his piece, if Ayew, Grealish, McCormack and hopefully a new striker hit it off, with Traore and Gestede on the bench, we should have too much firepower for most teams in this division.  There were times when it clicked on Saturday and we played some sublime football in the final third.  Putting Jedinak in front of Elphick and Chester should also hopefully mean we are much more solid and hard to break down as well.

Put the two together and it will hopefully lead to exciting times in B6 this season.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:11:45 AM by tomd2103 »

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »
Good piece as always Dave.  The Grealish goal like all works of art is layered.  His mazy run a little earlier that should have been a goal but petered out into a back pass to the goalie was the entre. The almost slow motion build up to the special goal when, for what seemed like an eternity, it seemed the keeper or the defender was going to take the penalty option added to the beauty of it all.  The memory of it is now a mental snapshot tucked away in a lifetime of Villa memories.  It hangs on the wall of my mind with the five seconds when the same player made a Sunderland defender fall on his backside by standing still in front of him.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »
It will be interesting to see how we bounce back after a defeat as well, that for me will be the next test.

Good read as usual.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 07:41:28 AM »
It will be interesting to see how we bounce back after a defeat as well, that for me will be the next test.

Good read as usual.

Haven't we just?

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:14 AM »
well wasn't that pleasant

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 08:02:31 AM »
Accurate  summation as usual  Dave.Everybody contributed in a fine team performance.
That was encouraging.

Online Clampy

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »

Good read as usual.

Haven't we just?

Good point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal