collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Starting XI V Sheff Wed  (Read 13070 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Starting XI V Sheff Wed
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
Fundamentally we are still confronted with the same problem as we were at the end of last season.  Do we stick with players who have over a long period fallen short of the standards expected of them or do we replace them with the young, largely untried players we have?  Black, to his eternal discredit did not use the end of last season to help make this season's start any easier.  He approached every game as a damage limitation exercise when we were already relegated.
In the pre seasons I have seen the younger players acquitted themselves well.  Green, Hepburn-Murphy, Toner, Gardner, Bennett and Lyden showing at least the potential for improvement.  Add to those Gollini, Elphick, Tishibola, Ayew, Amavi and hopefully Traore and the future looks brighter.
It is less bright if RDM and his team do a Black and try to play it safe by putting their faith in the likes of Hutton, Bacuna, Westwood, Sinclair, Lescott, Cissoko, Gestede and the rest.  Until more and better players are bought the hard core of last season's failures will continue to do what they do. Fail.
The biggest, most overlooked and underestimated factor is us, the supporters, you and me, who have been forced to endure so much abject failure.  We need a new start and bringing round behind the players.  We need hope not soft goals and floaty corners.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:49:54 AM by brian green »

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 09:07:55 AM »
Is Calder still with the club? I haven't seen him feature at all, pre-season, which is surprising as he was terrific last pre-season. He was sent out on loan and i haven't heard of him since.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Very well put Brian...couldn't agree more.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it's broke, fix the fecker!

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 09:36:19 AM »
Is Calder still with the club? I haven't seen him feature at all, pre-season, which is surprising as he was terrific last pre-season. He was sent out on loan and i haven't heard of him since.

He has gone back out on loan for the season, Doncaster I think

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
Spot on Brian - as always .

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »
Excellent Brian.  Couldn't agree more. Plus the lyrical "Soft Goals and Floaty Corners" is surely the book title for the story of our last few years.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »
Largely agree Brian although I personally think it's unfair to lump Hutton in with that lot - I think he will be fine at this level.  I also think one or two of the others may be able to do a job.  The key point is not all of them and to freshen those that can contribute up with new players and some youngsters.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 10:55:21 AM »

He has gone back out on loan for the season, Doncaster I think
Yes he's at Doncaster on loan till January. Last season he was at Dundee, did well saw a number of good reports.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
Spot on Brian. Seeing some of the youth get a break would be a lift to the fans as opposed to last years failures would only add to last seasons gloom. On a side note, didn't Soft goals and floaty corners support Can on a UK tour ?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:07:42 AM by garyshawsknee »

Offline peter w

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »
that line up scares the fuck out of me - if Bacuna and Westwood asre the answer, what is the question? As things stand we are not good enough for a serious challenge.

I think the question is which division are Aston Villa currently in.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »
and they are still shite

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »
and they are still shite

I reckon Westwood will more than hold his own, especially if we get a defensive midfielder in to help him do more passing and less pointing.

Ross Wallace, Keiran Lee, Sam Hutchinson, Barry Bannan and Fernando Forestieri. That's the "might" of Sheffield Wednesday's midfield.

Perspective is required.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »
Both Bannon and Forestieri are better than anyone we have, imo

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
Both Bannon and Forestieri are better than anyone we have, imo

If we matched them up formation wise, we'd have Grealish and Ayew who are both significantly better than those pair.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
possibly but Jack simply hasn't played enough to know that irrefutably, and Forestieri has scored goals at this level on a consistent basis, plus the fact that Ayew, for all the good Doctor's protestations, might well be off. To be honest, I was surprised Watford let Forestieri go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal