collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe Standing  (Read 19574 times)

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: safe Standing
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 04:10:59 PM »
Safe standing is rail seating and it does create an individual space with a rail in front for each stander.

In terms of Hillsborough, it is time to move on now. It needs to be said that the authorities used the lie of the 96's 'bad behaviour' to sterilise football and sit us all down. The lie has been exposed, and we should be allowed to stand, in properly designed and maintained stadiums, with proper crowd control. It is no disrespect to the 96 to do so in my opinion. I know it is more difficult if you were one of those who lost someone, but many stand on the Kop for many matches in unsafe seated areas - they too should be able to stand in safety and the legacy of the 96 should not be that they don't. There is a movement even amongst Liverpool fans which says this.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »
I think the tentative success (tentative as it's only just started) of Celtic's safe standing and the more obvious success of the German model, added to excellent and sensitive reporting from the likes of Adrian Tempany who were in the Leppings Lane, will eventually see a reluctant acquiescence from the families of the 96. After all it has now been absolutely proved that terracing per se was in no way to blame.

As said above, if new build stadiums can be designed with the thoughts of being able to convert some of the ground easily to extra-capacity safe standing then that will be a big help.

Offline spinksy the bfg

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
I heard a steward say to a kid if you want to sit there's a spare seat at the front,  on Saturday so there is acceptance from clubs of unofficial standing areas.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »
Safe standing is rail seating and it does create an individual space with a rail in front for each stander.

In terms of Hillsborough, it is time to move on now. It needs to be said that the authorities used the lie of the 96's 'bad behaviour' to sterilise football and sit us all down. The lie has been exposed, and we should be allowed to stand, in properly designed and maintained stadiums, with proper crowd control. It is no disrespect to the 96 to do so in my opinion. I know it is more difficult if you were one of those who lost someone, but many stand on the Kop for many matches in unsafe seated areas - they too should be able to stand in safety and the legacy of the 96 should not be that they don't. There is a movement even amongst Liverpool fans which says this.

Sorry, I've just seen this.

I reckon there'll be little or no appetite to upset the families, or even just the more vociferous amongst them, especially now. Even if the arguments are won, it'll take a politician sticking their neck out and I just can't see them doing that in the next few years.

I know you're involved in these issues and no doubt have a better sense of the mood, so I do hope you're right

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »

Sorry, I've just seen this.

I reckon there'll be little or no appetite to upset the families, or even just the more vociferous amongst them, especially now. Even if the arguments are won, it'll take a politician sticking their neck out and I just can't see them doing that in the next few years.

I know you're involved in these issues and no doubt have a better sense of the mood, so I do hope you're right

The Spirit of Shankly - Liverpool Supporters Union, have it as Agenda item 8 at their AGM that Liverpool fans should be surveyed to see whether they want to join the campaign for rail seating. It'll be interesting to see how it goes, but it is a good sign that it is even being put out there. It wouldn't have been a couple of years ago.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
That's interesting, and I agree it wouldn't have been up for discussion.

Fingers crossed.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
Someone should do a survey amfy!
;-)

Offline spinksy the bfg

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2016, 08:28:18 PM »
Anyone see Celtic v city yesterday?  It showed the demand for a safe standing section is higher than what the authorities and clubs think. Champions league games don't allow standing even In rail seated areas,  yet they still stood,  so did thousands of others in other parts of the ground. It was the same with the German team who played real Madrid on Tuesday night.   The question is, when it happens not if now how much of the ground will be for standing?  At villa park the whole of the lower Holte and 3 blocks of the lower north would satisfy the requirement.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2017, 11:15:10 PM »
Its a step backwards  - massive cop out by clubs  who choose to implement it -some sort of justification for clubs such as Sheff Wed, Leeds  etc who are currently ripping supporters off for tickets.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
Its a step backwards  - massive cop out by clubs  who choose to implement it -some sort of justification for clubs such as Sheff Wed, Leeds  etc who are currently ripping supporters off for tickets.
How is it a step backwards?

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40391764
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40391764

Are the seats going to have springs on them so they can go Boing Boing?

I suppose trying it at a small ground which they can't fill and doesn't hold very many anyway is OK for a trial.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:31:45 AM by SashasGrandad »

Offline sligotom

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
The whole situation is a joke anyway as any Villa fan travelling away will tell you standing is the norm for away fans.somewhat annoying to the fans who do want to sit usually due to age there should be legal standing areas for the guys that prefer it.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »
The whole situation is a joke anyway as any Villa fan travelling away will tell you standing is the norm for away fans.somewhat annoying to the fans who do want to sit usually due to age there should be legal standing areas for the guys that prefer it.

Not just away.  I don't think I have sat down in the lower North Stand during a game for years. 

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 08:24:24 AM »
It's quite hard to actually fit in the seats in the North Stand anyway. It wasn't designed for seating and doesn't have the legroom. It would be perfect for safe standing I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal