collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds Utd vs The Villa 1996/97 Coca Cola Cup 3rd Rd  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Leeds Utd vs The Villa 1996/97 Coca Cola Cup 3rd Rd
« on: July 25, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
nice bit of footage

UTV
The Doc

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Leeds Utd vs The Villa 1996/97 Coca Cola Cup 3rd Rd
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »
Defending our honour...did we win or did the dirty ones extract révanche? Stay toond...

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
Thanks for posting.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »
When did we go from shirts looking like they are 3 sizes too big to todays that would look tight on s super model

I loved those little years. Was proud of thevteam and the way he got us playing. I think apart from the curcic and collymore breakdowns we had a team capable of winning the league especially the 96 team

My 2nd favourite behind the 81/2 team and just above the BFR 92 team

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:49:47 PM »
When did we go from shirts looking like they are 3 sizes too big to todays that would look tight on s super model

I loved those little years. Was proud of thevteam and the way he got us playing. I think apart from the curcic and collymore breakdowns we had a team capable of winning the league especially the 96 team

Like so many times before, we just didn't push on and take that next step.  That was around the tim that Arsenal were buying Bergkamp and the like, but if you look at the side in this footage, that kind of investment wasn't there. 

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
We played them twice in consecutive games if I remember rightly. 2-0 win at home in the league then this match here.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »

Like so many times before, we just didn't push on and take that next step.  That was around the tim that Arsenal were buying Bergkamp and the like, but if you look at the side in this footage, that kind of investment wasn't there. 

That's what I used to think but after talking to Little and Evans they both said the same - the money was there but we bought the wrong type of players. I also think that at that time the big name players were starting to come to England but they would only go to London or, for some bizarre reason, Middlesbrough.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »

so excited when we signed both  Collymore and Curcic, both times I thought we had cracked it ,  oh my what a let down   

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 04:06:55 PM »
How the hell was that challenge on Curcic in the first half not a penalty?!!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
My memory of this is the ludicrous non-awarding of a penalty and the fact that Curcic turned in a second successive World class performance... his previous one having also been against Leeds in the league a few days earlier.

He was never much good afterwards but for two games he looked decent value for money.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 05:03:12 PM »
My memory of this is the ludicrous non-awarding of a penalty and the fact that Curcic turned in a second successive World class performance... his previous one having also been against Leeds in the league a few days earlier.

He was never much good afterwards but for two games he looked decent value for money.
It looked more of a penalty than the one we were given. Looks like a case of Geoff Winter evening things up.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »

That's what I used to think but after talking to Little and Evans they both said the same - the money was there but we bought the wrong type of players. I also think that at that time the big name players were starting to come to England but they would only go to London or, for some bizarre reason, Middlesbrough.

Interesting Dave, not heard that before.  Shades of what was to come with O'Neill a decade later.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »
Love the defender going mad after Winter gave the second one, after he tried to take Yorke's leg off and we had a blatant penalty not give in the first half.

Dirty Leeds as usual.

I didn't remember this at all, as I thought Gareth Southgate was going to score the winner (seem to remember he only ever scored against Leeds).

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »
Love the defender going mad after Winter gave the second one, after he tried to take Yorke's leg off and we had a blatant penalty not give in the first half.

Dirty Leeds as usual.

I didn't remember this at all, as I thought Gareth Southgate was going to score the winner (seem to remember he only ever scored against Leeds).

I too have no recollection of this tie.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »

Dirty Leeds as usual.

I too have no recollection of this tie.
Me too, but for some reason I remember very well the ZDS semi against them in 90,selective memory maybe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal