collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League, EFL & FA introduce new player behaviour rules  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Premier League, EFL & FA introduce new player behaviour rules
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
There is nothing on that list that isn't/wasn't already covered in the laws of the game.  It's just that they are/were never implemented.

Years ago in my Sunday mornings days, we once had an Army ref. Tight game on the Ackers, and we brought on a sub to freshen things up, who ran on and declared, "Come on, we can fucking have these". Instant straight red administered. And that's gotta be 28 years ago. So unless rules regarding foul language were rescinded in the interim, they've been around at least that long.

You know, typing (thumbing) that, I got a right deja-vu. Twelve months, two years since this last got discussed?

Offline stuart445

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 07:12:06 PM »
There is nothing on that list that isn't/wasn't already covered in the laws of the game.  It's just that they are/were never implemented.
I think the FA and Premier League are trying to encourage it and follow rugby's take on respect for the ref. If that does ever happen it will probably be a generation until you see it.

The main reasons Rugby refs get respect is because they earn it.  Whereas this rule won't apply to the top teams in Rugby it's applied to everyone.  I personally think if football implemented the TMO then that'll help stop all the behaviour towards refs.  It'll mean more correct decisions and you can't argue with the TMO as he's in the stand and the fact it'll more than likely lead to a correct decision so will cut the anger.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »
I think the FA and Premier League are trying to encourage it and follow rugby's take on respect for the ref. If that does ever happen it will probably be a generation until you see it.

The main reasons Rugby refs get respect is because they earn it.  Whereas this rule won't apply to the top teams in Rugby it's applied to everyone.  I personally think if football implemented the TMO then that'll help stop all the behaviour towards refs.  It'll mean more correct decisions and you can't argue with the TMO as he's in the stand and the fact it'll more than likely lead to a correct decision so will cut the anger.
In 10 years time, possibly less, something like that will come into effect.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 02:56:32 PM »
If this is to be implemented the referees have to show respect to the rules as much as the players - one of the things that really gets me chuntering is the referee chasing a player to book him - whistle, beckon, if player doesn't comply then book him for a 2nd time & send him off.  Part of getting respect is respecting themselves and the job they do

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »
This ruling will never be applied consistently, imagine Wayne Rooney will last only half the games played and then Mourinho will wage war on the referees.

Intimidating officials should attract a sin bin style punishment, this punishes the player and his team but prevents matches being totally ruined by an overzealous ref where we end paying to watch 9 v 8.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 09:59:05 PM »
The sin bin is a punishment I'm all in favour of.  Punish the player and his team during the game in which the offence takes place.

On the subject of respect for the referee, until it is instilled and insisted on at junior and youth level, and until media outlets don't lead on refereeing "controversies" as the narrative for determining the outcome of matches at the top level, it won't be happening any time soon.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »

It would take 6 weeks if the officials felt empowered to dish out the cards to whichever bunch of ****** Moanrinho's  coaching this week, and whoever's taken over the chief dirty bastard role from Gerrard at Liverpool.

The managers would soon sort it out if they were down to fielding 5 youth players in an away game at Stoke  because half of the team were on bans for abusing officials.

As it is, as others have said the likes of Bournemouth will end up feeling the full weight of the initiative whilst  Liverpool, Arsenal Man City and Man Utd will benefit from the sort of mental gymnastics usually reserved for the NRA convention.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »
The sin bin is a punishment I'm all in favour of.  Punish the player and his team during the game in which the offence takes place.

On the subject of respect for the referee, until it is instilled and insisted on at junior and youth level, and until media outlets don't lead on refereeing "controversies" as the narrative for determining the outcome of matches at the top level, it won't be happening any time soon.

I don't think the sin bin is a punishment. It gives someone a 10 minute breather which his team mates can easily cover. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »

I don't think the sin bin is a punishment. It gives someone a 10 minute breather which his team mates can easily cover. 

Covering for 1 is ok, covering for a 2nd is much tougher so you should see the team being as good as gold for the length of the sinbin.  I'm in favour of it.

I also honestly think that, at professional level, they should put the ref mic on the loadspeaker.  Let the refs explain their decisions and if the players are surrounding him like babies everyone can hear it and motd, etc will pick up on it and shame them into reforming their behaviour.

Offline peter w

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »
Don't agree with stricter implementing of these rules which as said have been with us for years. No other sport is played at such high tempo for a prolonged period. with that comes an outburst that is made in the heat of  the moment and not necessarily directed towards the official even though said to them. The best referees are those that apply common sense. I've made a heat of the moment comment to referees and the best ones are the ones who just respond with a 'Get on With It/ shut up' type attitude, or just say what they saw or think that they saw. It usually ends there. If the player persists then the warning comes then the card.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal