collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa U23s, Academy & Ladies - 2016/17  (Read 56630 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa U23s, Academy & Ladies - 2016/17
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »
I enjoy watching these Under 23 games. It's a great idea to stream them on facebook. I missed both the goals as well.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »
For those that watch the U23's on a regular basis, how is Bedeau coming along?

Offline kiddylion

« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
Do they still have the junior games on at Bodymoor on Saturday mornings? If so does anyone know if there are any games on this Saturday 25/3

Offline Larry Duff

« Reply #273 on: March 24, 2017, 07:53:53 AM »
We were due to play Spurs on Saturday but it has been called off because of their involvement in the FA Youth Cup.

The Youth Team and the Under 16s both play at Bodymore on Saturday mornings.  It has always been possible to turn up and watch the games but recently they have stopped people coming in without having a pass.
Fairly easy to get on the list but it means a trip to Villa Park and the club checking your ID. 

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #274 on: April 11, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »
The U23 team lost 2-0 at Swansea last night. Link to report and the team:-

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/04/10/swansea-away-u23-report

RHM and Green played the full 90 minutes.

The U23 side looks like it will stay in Division 2 of the Premier U23 league for another season. Wonder if this set of players and coaching staff is in need of a major shake up.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we made a few more signings like Bedeau over the summer.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »
Isn't the issue here that we loan out most of our U23s to get them game time rather than playing in what's considered a soft U23 league? This is a critical age for their development and its been proved game time is more important than a less than competitive reserve/young players league?

Offline Larry Duff

« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
The U23s are Managed by Kevin McDonald and Mark Delaney at the moment.  I would guess there might be some changes for next season.
The Team that played at Swansea was quite a young side and pretty much all of those players should be here next year.
We have got a number of the 19-20-21 Year olds out on loan and a decision has to be made about them.  The truth is that apart from Ryan Mason at Doncaster none of the others have done very well and seem to be on the subs bench more often than not.
Calder, Cowans, McKirdy, Toner, Suliman, Hale, Abdo and Sellers are at an age where they should be pushing for the First Team if they have a future at the club.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
Cam's Dad has just had a meeting about his progress. They said how he has really come on this season and his Dad said he'd like to see him playing more in his natural position up top which was agreed with. He was told Cam can play in any of the top 4 positions so he said he's more of a threat to defenders when he's down the middle. He was told the coaching staff love the way he uses his left foot and said the way he can take corners with his left or right is outstanding. They said the last person they knew that could do that was Gordon Cowans.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »
Cam's Dad has just had a meeting about his progress. They said how he has really come on this season and his Dad said he'd like to see him playing more in his natural position up top which was agreed with. He was told Cam can play in any of the top 4 positions so he said he's more of a threat to defenders when he's down the middle. He was told the coaching staff love the way he uses his left foot and said the way he can take corners with his left or right is outstanding. They said the last person they knew that could do that was Gordon Cowans.
Nice.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »
Nice.
Praise indeed :-)

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #281 on: May 02, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
Jerell Sellars announced today that he is leaving the club. Just after his 22nd birthday.

First of several I would think and hope that are never gong to make the grade at Villa.

Online Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #282 on: May 02, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

The last sentence is slightly worrying and indicative of footballers today. I personally never reached the level that Cam has but I had the same coach from the age of 11 through to 18. He was insistent that I learned to kick with both feet and I would spend half an hour at training just on building strength and ability in my left foot which was the weaker. As I got older I used my left foot far more than my right being heavily influenced by Bruce Rioch- and I always thought left footed players looked more balanced. Professional footballers should be able to kick with both feet- it is a coachable process if started early enough- good on Cam that he has mastered it already.

Offline peter w

« Reply #283 on: May 02, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
I too can use both feet and have taken set-pieces with both feet (although admittedly corners and free-kicks with my left are no more than 50/50). It is a huge bugbear of mine when I see any player, least of all professionals, who cannot use both feet comfortably in a game situation. Not necessarily dead ball situations but when it comes to running with the ball, passing, shooting every player should use either without thinking. that commentators refer to players trying to get a ball onto their stronger foot, or that one player has only one foot but how good it is (Beckham) that he doesn't need the other foot winds me up. What are coaches doing? Every player should be taught to use both feet from the off. Ages 7, 8 and upwards. No excuses.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
More U23s reported leaving:-

Abdoul, Hale, and Linley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal