collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul McGrath stand  (Read 8860 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Paul McGrath stand
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 04:08:10 PM »
The Leandro Bacuna stand.  Get it done Tony.

Just a stand?  I reckon our Leandro would expect the whole stadium named after him. 

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 04:13:44 PM »
If and when the stand between the Trinity Road and the Witton Lane Stands gets redeveloped - how about we go back to calling it "The Witton End" ?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
The Lescott Carpark

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
Disappointing response lads, think the response, would be different if he was no longer with us. If there was a poll asking for the fans favourite player, pretty sure Macca would be top of it. Someone mentioned Ron Saunders, I reckon, when he dies there will be a lot clamouring for a statute to be erected or stand to be named after him.

Why wait till these legends die?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »
Disappointing response lads, think the response, would be different if he was no longer with us. If there was a poll asking for the fans favourite player, pretty sure Macca would be top of it. Someone mentioned Ron Saunders, I reckon, when he dies there will be a lot clamouring for a statute to be erected or stand to be named after him.

Why is it a disappointing response? We've all got different opinions after all.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
Despite what Ellis, Gray or Gidman may say, Saunders is a Villa God. 

He was proved right time and again when he allowed players to move on.  He built 3 different teams at the Villa for increased aspirations.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 06:07:22 PM »
And the manner - and direction - of his departure is such that whatever the magnitude of his achievements; in however high a regard he was held (by me included) whilst he was here, a stand shouldn't be named after him.

I also think McGrath's contributions probably pale into insignificance when compared to Kendall's at Everton, where he had success as a player and manager.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:09:03 PM by TopDeck113 »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 06:14:40 PM »
If we're going the stand route, Ramsey, McGregor, Rinder and Houghton (Eric) would be more deserving than McGrath -as good as he was.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 06:16:59 PM »
McGrath has done nothing of significance to have a stand named after him.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »
If we're going the stand route, Ramsey, McGregor, Rinder and Houghton (Eric) would be more deserving than McGrath -as good as he was.

What about the Bosko Balaban Stand? We could have built one with what we wasted on him.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »

McGrath may have been a GREAT Villa player, but there's absolutely no reason I could ever see for there to be a stand named after him

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »

Saunders achieved the highest domestic honour with us and laid the foundations for the highest European honour. You could see why he'd be worthy of having something named after him

McGrath meets none of the that criteria

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »
Saunders for me, the most important figure of our modern era.  After that there are more deserving cases off the field - McGregor, Ramsey - and arguably on the field - Waring, Aitken, Dixon for example.   It's a fucking travesty that the only stand named after a person was after someone who took far more than he gave to the club.   

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »
I understand the sentiment but don't think a stand name is merited.

What I would like to see would be a 'wall of legends' so to speak. What I have in mind is Villa's past heroes carved into a wall, kinda like a less formal/organised version of Lichfield Cathedral. The downside being that it would be extremely expensive to commission now from scratch, but what a way to acknowledge our history.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »
I understand the sentiment but don't think a stand name is merited.

What I would like to see would be a 'wall of legends' so to speak. What I have in mind is Villa's past heroes carved into a wall, kinda like a less formal/organised version of Lichfield Cathedral. The downside being that it would be extremely expensive to commission now from scratch, but what a way to acknowledge our history.

that sounds good ,  I was thinking embossed metal images of legends across  the Trinty road stand to improve the facade ??
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:57:52 PM by VILLA MOLE »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal